United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I blew it again, folks. Sorry about that. So I thought I'd throw together a quick poll tonight to make up for the one I missed on Friday.

If you want updates on when new TGIF polls are posted, or want to look at the results of past polls go to The TGIF Poll Subscription Thread.

We also have a microbadge available for those who enjoy the polls mb.

Poll: The 367th TGIF Poll
Some games (like Codenames) come with an optional timer. If you play one of those games are you likely to use that timer?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
All the time
2.5% 6
Frequently
13.0% 31
Occasionally
27.7% 66
Rarely
40.3% 96
Never
16.4% 39
Voters 238
Alright, time to fess up. How often are you the person at the table who takes the longest to make decisions?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
All the time
1.2% 3
Frequently
10.6% 26
Occasionally
37.0% 91
Rarely
40.7% 100
Never
10.6% 26
Voters 246
This poll is now closed.   246 answers
Poll created by Blott
Closes: Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:00 am

3. What game, that you enjoy, has a tendency to get you thinking really hard (and potentially coming close to Analysis-Paralysis)?

Any discussion is encouraged.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Miller
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is generally a turn or two I might slow down for late in a game if it looks like it might be close, but I'm generally one of the faster players at the table.

Perhaps the game that slows me the most is a game you can't really play from the gut: Sleuth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
You got drama all over my meeples!
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ora et Labora and Small City, for sure!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
3. What game, that you enjoy, has a tendency to get you thinking really hard (and potentially coming close to Analysis-Paralysis)?

Leaves my head spinning...

head spinning so fast, mind-melting commences...

what happens after mind-melting? Spontaneous combustion?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Reed
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While Sleuth can certainly do this, I don't play it very often these days. In general, I can be counted on at least one turn where I have to really crunch the numbers in my head when I am playing Power Grid. I usually don't do it for the entire game, but I know that I will do it at some point. Of course, almost all of the other players can be counted on to do the same, so I don't feel too bad about it...

Someone above mentioned Dominant Species leaving their head spinning. My one incredibly painful incomplete play (going in with a headache was probably a big mistake) has resulted in there being no possibility for analysis paralysis on my part. If someone wants to play the game, I immediately move... to another table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
1 - If it doesn't require a timer, we will not use a timer. I don't like pressuring people who are already having difficulty making a decision.

2 - It's pretty rare I think, because I tend to make quick decisions (and I'm good about thinking on other peoples' turns.) But I'm certainly not immune to it, and the right game or situation can really lock me up.

3 - Pandemic, but thankfully you can vocalize your thought process in this game and work with the team to make it happen faster and avoid annoying everyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jae
United States
Bryan
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any logic puzzle game, or game that has devolved into a logic puzzle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Huber

Westborough
Massachusetts
msg tools
Blott wrote:

Abraca...what?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gareth Reynolds
New Zealand
Christchurch
Canterbury
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Games with optional timers tend to be games I play because it's what's on offer, not because I'm particularly eager to play that game. Therefore I'll be willing to take as long as others are and don't mind waiting.

I'm almost always teaching someone at the table. That tends to result in me knowing what I'm doing much more than others. In games where there isn't someone new I'm still likely more experienced unless I'm learning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steph
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Well, it's no Ginkgopolis...
mbmbmbmbmb
I am actually a very fast player

if I had to pick a game I take the longest for thinking I would say Edo- It is kind of unfair since I learned it a few days ago but it was really breaking my brain and I can't say I was understanding it well enough to play faster. I am usually very fast and thinking but this game it was just very hard for me, for some reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Neuland is the only game that has given me analysis paralysis. I avoided it after that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Five Tribes is most likely to give me analysis paralysis. Calculating the best move without helping the next player, or it gets worse with 2-player when it comes to setting up back-to-back moves. The worst part is, I don't know how much eeking out a couple extra points really even matters, but for whatever reason the game is brain burner. And, it's not so easy that you can plan out your turn beforehand, because the board will likely change before it gets to your turn.

Otherwise, I'm very quick to play my turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sharon Khan
United Kingdom
Shefford
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
Games, games and more games!
mbmbmbmbmb

1. Games with optional timers like that we only get it out to make a point if someone is taking forever repeatedly. Usually we just trust people to get on with it, and heckle if they're not doing!

2/3. Anyone who knows me knows that I am the complete opposite of an AP player - generally taking my turn instantly as soon as the player in front of me has been - blink and you miss me is a common phrase. However, something about Carcassonne always sends me into brain freeze, and it's the one game where I do frequently take a while to have my turn, and often longer than others round the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Håkan König
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. That partly depends on the game. Most of the time I wouldn't use it on the first play of a new game, see how that works and then decide whether to use it in the future or not. Robo Rally on the other hand I'm not playing without, because the timer only puts pressure on the last player.

2. That depends on the game and the group. In my usual group, I'm close to never the slowest player. On the other hand I played with some people who thought 20s was too long for a turn in Dominion. I frequently drew a new hand, looked through what cards I got and then someone called "It's your turn, Hakko." My what? I haven't looked at my cards yet. And we were playing 4player at the time.

3. 18xx. That's one of the reasons it doesn't get played much around here. When I'm taking forever to do a turn, then you can imagine how the rest of my group is as they usually takes a long time to do anything in a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bandettini
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
That one not so much
badge
Ohh that tickles
mbmbmbmbmb
I play very fast, the only game to ever slow me down is Scoville
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shumyum
United States
flag msg tools
♒♒♒♒♎♒♒♒♒ sloooowly sinking
Age of Steam and its related games. Especially the first few rounds when there is a huge decision space and the stakes are high.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Hensel
United States
Bryan
Texas
flag msg tools
Have games, Will travel
mbmbmbmbmb
Word games tend to slow me down. I've noticed it especially in Paperback where I'm trying to maximize each play to have the most money available to buy more cards, and Scrabble.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Canada
Ottawa
ON
flag msg tools
Why did Dracula become a bank? To deal with suckers every day!
mbmbmb
I've been playing Codenames frequently with my students. These viscous little weasels future world leaders are much more likely to pull out the timer than my family and friends.

I usually play quickly, but Arboretum sends me spiralling into a deep, dark AP void.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Lott
United States
Cheverly
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Never
Rarely

I find that area control games tend to get me wrapped up in some AP, because you really have to look at the whole board and make decisions about how your moves will affect the layout. And of course that changes from turn to turn. See also: El Grande, Tikal, Wallenstein.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
“Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead.” -Bukowski
badge
“And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.” -Friedrich Nietzsche
mbmbmbmbmb
3. My worst 3 offenders are Dungeon Twister, Chess, and Scrabble.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
squash wrote:
3. My worst 3 offenders are Dungeon Twister, Chess, and Scrabble.

I think Scrabble does it to every living human being, unless you have a really massive play that you work out ahead of time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Wilson
United States
Montgomery
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trajan Is a game whose mechanics I love but refused to buy and have only played face to face one time because of AP. The game lets you/ requires you to plan so far in advance that I could literally spend an hour plotting the next dozen turns to squeeze the maximum amount of benefits from my turns and without much fear of opponents screwing up my plans.

I love it, but I can't subject other people to playing it with me. I have played it a few times asynchronously online.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
Speedyox wrote:
Trajan Is a game whose mechanics I love but refused to buy and have only played face to face one time because of AP. The game lets you/ requires you to plan so far in advance that I could literally spend an hour plotting the next dozen turns to squeeze the maximum amount of benefits from my turns and without much fear of opponents screwing up my plans.

I love it, but I can't subject other people to playing it with me. I have played it a few times asynchronously online.

I've been known to take a while on my turns for some games (see Vanuatu, Dominant Species, & Confucius above).
I fully expected Trajan to be the same way, when it was taught to me.
But the weirdest thing is, it isn't at all! I never have any difficulty making a turn decision; I find playing it a relaxing, fun activity. Maybe b/c of the "short-term objectives" of the mancala? Maybe b/c it's such a glorious point salad that no matter what you do, there are some good points there for you? Not sure why, but it doesn't trigger anywhere near the AP I thought it would. Definitely one of my favorite games, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duchess of Erat
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. We've only ever used mandatory timers in games.
2. I'm usually (one of the) quickest players, so much so that when I really wasn't, it got remarked upon by the others.
3. The game in question was El Gaucho...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
http://www.youtube.com/user/SmoothCJS
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I use the timer plenty in codenames. I do try to give people a reasonable amount of time, but its' not fun for anyway to sit around doing nothing while someone figures out the absolute perfect clue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.