The Others» Forums » Rules

Subject: End of round apocalypse rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Jacoby
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
At the end of round, all stories have the text "raise the apocalypse track by 1..." and then another "raise it AGAIN if blah blah". Keep in mind, ALL stories have the wording "AGAIN". So our question is, does the 2nd 'raise the apocalypse' trigger if the first doesn't? Why put the 'AGAIN' term if it's not dependent on the first result? Or is the ""AGAIN" just to specify that it can be raised 2 times? To further this hypothesis, all terror missions have the first advancement always occur, so the 2nd is always an option. Sorry if this is unclear, I'm not sure how to better word it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angus Lee
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We interpret the AGAIN wording as if the 1st condition is not fulfilled, the Apocalypse track would not rise at all this round, regardless of the 2nd condition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oden Dee
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
Yeah can be hard to interpret, could easily mean what Angus says if you hadn't played the game a few times to gauge its difficulty.

The game only needs to last 3 or 4 rounds, rarely 5. If you only raised the 2nd clause when the 1st was satisfied the game could last a very long time.

The point of an Apocalypse track is so the game doesn't stagnate, it needs to be continuously moving up.

The point of the AGAIN is so the two clauses don't sound like an OR situation.

Therefore: The 1st is not a condition of fulfilment for the 2nd.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
United States
Scottdale
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I felt the same way- I imagine that if they worded it without the "again" there would be debates about whether it was meant to increase twice or just once with two possible triggers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.