$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
41.7% of Goal | left

Support:

Steve Crow
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
We haven't even come close to defeating this episode. How have folks done it?

1) As with any A episode, you've got approximately eighteen turns to beat the episode. In a three-player game, that's 6 turns each, or roughly three passes through your deck.

2) You need to get enough Cbt to a) beat the Scrap Shop's 3 Cbt, and b) to increase the chances that you have a Cbt card on top of your deck. Given you're only going to be able to buy 5 cards per player on average by the time the episode runs out, that's... difficult to do.

3) If the Scrap Shop gets to the combat zone, it's going to do a Ship Strike every turn. That means you have to spend a fair amount of your Recruit repairing Serenity so that it doesn't blow up and you don't have to deal with a lot of the Ship Strike bad effects. (Not to mention if you take the strike that the next Ship Strike kills you.) That means buying less cards to beat up the Scrap Shop.

4) Saffron has a 5 Cbt and if she escapes, you've failed that half of the episode. That means you have to scan her and beat her.

5) Triumph Bandits are... not easy, with a Cbt 4. Yeah, they're only Cbt 2 against Zoe. But that's only on her turn.

6) Welded Door is pretty obnoxious. 4 Cbt isn't easy at that point in the game, and you're pretty paralyzed by it. Its presence makes the Control Jammed strike really ugly. Or the Scrap Shop striking you every turn.

7) Good Night Kiss gives each player at least one flaw, assuming you have Mal or Inara. If you have both, you get two Flaws and Talent per player. That's... a lot of Flaws. Mal's Flaw reduces the number of turns you have to deal with the Episode as a whole.

8) Each player gets a Flaw if Saffron escapes. If the episode runs the full 16 turns, that's three Flaws per player not counting the Side Jobs.

-----

The Episode suggests you use Mal, Jayne, Zoe, Inara, That's not a bad spread, but it's guaranteed to get you two Flaws (and a Talent) each from Good Night Kiss. Book is a supporting character, so your chances of Flaw removal are much reduced.

To beat the Scrap Shop, you really need Jayne's Talent + Kaylee's Space Monkeys card to make sure there's a Cbt card on top of your deck when you're ready to attack it.. The recommended characters support this, but timing-wise it's still tricky to pull off.

We don't mind tough odds, but the difficulty seems unbeatably high on this one. Is it that we have three players when four would give you an extra turn each plus a little more interactive Talenting? Or just consistent bad luck? Or what?

All advice appreciated. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Crow
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
Re: Gakk. How do you beat Our Mrs. Reynolds?
One suggestion would be to make the Scrap Shop check before you commit three Cbt.

Essentially losing 3 Cbt for nothing is a loss you can ill-afford in the A section of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sesta
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gislef wrote:
One suggestion would be to make the Scrap Shop check before you commit three Cbt.

Essentially losing 3 Cbt for nothing is a loss you can ill-afford in the A section of the game.

You must commit to the attack by spending your combat in order to do the check. Rulebook page 12 under how to fight an enemy says "to fight anenemy spend attack equal to that enemy's attack value". The scrap shop says "when you fight the scrap shop reveal the top card of your deck". So you're always taking a chance fighting that enemy and may fail costing you your 3 fight.

I've been fairly lucky and gotten by it twice but Saffron keeps messing me up (two escapes). Managed to make it Jaynestown the first game I played and Out of Gas the second game but was promptly trounced. It's quite a difficult game which is awesome. I'm just finding it so hard to get an efficient deck without reliable destroy shiny or misbehave effects and I even have run Jayne a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If you have a Book as a support character, and one of your players builds an Intelligence-heavy deck, then Book's "Last Rites" card can be used effectively to beat the Scrap Shop.

It is one of his commons (i.e. there are 5 copies), costs 4 to buy and provides to Attack points. It also has an Intelligence combo that allows you to put a card from any player's discard pile on top of their deck.

That means you can ensure that an attack card will be pulled either on your current turn (if you have enough attack to beat the Scrap Shop), or on another player's turn (if they have enough attack to beat it).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Crow
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
jsesta84 wrote:
You must commit to the attack by spending your combat in order to do the check. Rulebook page 12 under how to fight an enemy says "to fight anenemy spend attack equal to that enemy's attack value". The scrap shop says "when you fight the scrap shop reveal the top card of your deck". So you're always taking a chance fighting that enemy and may fail costing you your 3 fight.

I've been fairly lucky and gotten by it twice but Saffron keeps messing me up (two escapes). Managed to make it Jaynestown the first game I played and Out of Gas the second game but was promptly trounced. It's quite a difficult game which is awesome. I'm just finding it so hard to get an efficient deck without reliable destroy shiny or misbehave effects and I even have run Jayne a lot.

Yes, we understood how the rules work. That's why it was a suggestion.

We've made it to Jaynestown once, and Out of Gas... well, never. That's what irritates us. The A episodes shouldn't be pushovers... but you want to get through all three episodes. If you're likely to lose and the game is really tough, it should be on the Cs. But we're barely seeing the Cs because the As and Bs crush us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Crow
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
JayJ79 wrote:
If you have a Book as a support character, and one of your players builds an Intelligence-heavy deck, then Book's "Last Rites" card can be used effectively to beat the Scrap Shop.

It is one of his commons (i.e. there are 5 copies), costs 4 to buy and provides to Attack points. It also has an Intelligence combo that allows you to put a card from any player's discard pile on top of their deck.

That means you can ensure that an attack card will be pulled either on your current turn (if you have enough attack to beat the Scrap Shop), or on another player's turn (if they have enough attack to beat it).

Intelligence = Recruit?

The problem is, if you go Intelligence heavy, then you're less likely to have the 3 Cbt in the first place to beat Scrap Shop. If you can't get that 3 Cbt, then having a Cbt card on top of your deck does no good.

Putting it on another player's top-of-deck helps, but typically they need to grab Browncoasts early on, to give you enough Recruit to recruit the Last Rites. Which makes it less likely for them to have 3 Cbt to fight the Scrap Shop in the first place.

So far, our best strategy has been to grab the Browncoats early, Coordinate, and grab the high-Cbt people. And hope a Rare comes out. You need high Cbt to scan-and-fight a number of things, and not just in Our Mrs. Reynolds. War Stories, with Niska, is also pretty brutal. But at least it's a B episode.

Book and/or Kaylee (with Last Rites and Space Monkeys) in support helps. Having Mal and Jayne, who are fairly big on Cbt Coordinate, as supporting characters also helps. Jayne as a Main Character with his Talent ability also helps. If the timing works.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My bad, I meant "Intel", not "Intelligence". It's one of the 5 classes (the yellow/gold one), with the others being Strength (green), Tech (black/grey), Survival (red), and Leadership (blue).

Depending on the composition of the Crew deck, if you have each player try to specialize in one or two of the classes, the combos become much easier to pull off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sesta
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm just not sure there is a viable strategy for beating that ship. Yes, sure there are card effects like last rites that let you manipulate your deck. The biggest issue though is that this is episode A. Your likely only going to run through your deck several times and can't really rely on class combos as a consistent thing due to the inability to thin out starting cards easily that early.

I think barring the perfect draw to the bridge and some perfect top decking it's always going to be somewhat of a crap shoot and that's probably the intent for this one honestly. Space monkeys might be the best bet here for something that mitigates the need for those types of perfect draws.

Given there's only 5 games to play (plus mix and match) I don't mind that it's pretty difficult. I found 1-2 to be tough but beatable more often than not and 3-5 to be a little easier even. The 6-8 set is by far the hardest of the bunch so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Crow
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
JayJ79 wrote:
My bad, I meant "Intel", not "Intelligence". It's one of the 5 classes (the yellow/gold one), with the others being Strength (green), Tech (black/grey), Survival (red), and Leadership (blue).

Depending on the composition of the Crew deck, if you have each player try to specialize in one or two of the classes, the combos become much easier to pull off.

One problem is that you have to hope that a) the cards hit the Bridge in the right order, and b) the person who needs them can afford them when they do come up, on that person's turn.

The other problem is that unless you invest heavily in having Grey-card eliminators like Jayne as side characters, good luck trying to make the color combos in the first 17 turns. Or even episodes B and C.

What we've found is... don't use the recommended characters for the recommended episode groupings.

For instance, the rulebook recommends River and Simon as Main Characters for Ariel - War Stories - Trash. That's thematically appropriate, but it's... nuts for game-winning purposes. You will most likely get crushed in Ariel if you do that. The Ariel Marshals get kicked up to 5 Cbt each, and Betrayal hurts Simon and River as well. If River is a side character, then the Hands of Blue guys don't hurt her when Revealed whether you have Simon as a MC or not.

Simon helps you with the Neural Imager, but it's a bit iffy that he will get a shot at it when it's revealed. and 3 Recruit isn't that difficult to pay. It's a lot easier than generating 5 Cbt to beat the Marshals when Simon & River are both MCs.

Simon also gives you +1 Credit when you complete the Imager job. That's not a huge benefit, though.

If you toss Jayne, Simon, and River into the side character pile, you'll do much better on Ariel. Maybe having the other characters down the road may hurt you for War Stories and Trash. But if you don't get through Ariel, it's a moot point.

And unless you have five players, the only way to almost-guarantee Simon's healing (barring a bad run of Bridge cards) is to make him a side character. If he's a non-used MC in a 4< player game, you're going to have serious problems. You really need that healing, and if he's a sidelined MC then he's useless for healing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Crow
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
We did play a three-player game of Ariel - War Stories - Trash, and won. When we chose the characters. So that seems to work better. Definitely works better if you sideline Simon and River for Ariel.

War Stories didn't seem to make a huge difference who you played with.

For Trash, definitely use Inara as a Main Character. Good luck beating Yolanda without Inara. Even then, getting 3 Supporting Character cards ain't easy. But at least we saw it a few times. We never saw a hand with all 4 Supporting Characters. And Yolanda will plink away at you on an early reveal. Plus if you can't beat her, the Inevitable comes out.

For that episode combo, we'd recommend Mal - Book - Zoe - Wash - Inara. You've got three decent Cbt Coordinate cards in support, and Simon's healing which you'll need to get through War Stories. For three-player, definitely use Inara for the Yolanda defeating. Mal will bone you on Trash due to Double Cross, so you might want to swap Mal with Kaylee or Jayne from Support.

-----

We suppose the next thing is to go back to Our Mrs. Reynolds and figure out who should be played, without using the "recommended" crew.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm thinking about house-ruling a way to switch player characters in the middle of the game (at the very least, between episodes). Having one of the other main characters "tag in", but keeping the same deck, crew strikes, etc. But keeping the supporting characters the same, since they participate via the crew deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JayJ79 wrote:
I'm thinking about house-ruling a way to switch player characters in the middle of the game (at the very least, between episodes). Having one of the other main characters "tag in", but keeping the same deck, crew strikes, etc. But keeping the supporting characters the same, since they participate via the crew deck.
haven't played my game yet (hopefully this weekend), but i kind of assumed that you could switch maybe every 3 episodes (and not have to play the entire series with the same character)...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sesta
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JayJ79 wrote:

I was thinking the same thing. Pick a main cast and then in between you can choose which abilities suit you best for the given set of episodes while keeping everything else in tact. Sort of takes the fun out of it to just keep the same character through all 5 games I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert McPherson
United States
Ft. Wainwright
ALASKA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gislef wrote:
One problem is that you have to hope that a) the cards hit the Bridge in the right order, and b) the person who needs them can afford them when they do come up, on that person's turn.

One of the things I like most about the Legendary Encounters system. Sometimes you just have to hope for the best and get lucky.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Crow
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
Nellatrebor wrote:
One of the things I like most about the Legendary Encounters system. Sometimes you just have to hope for the best and get lucky.

We don't mind luck. It's when the episode is rigged to force you to need luck to win that it's no longer a game of strategy. But a game of... well, luck. If I'm only going to win 1 out of 6 times, and nothing we do makes a difference, we might as well roll a six-sided die and declare ourselves the winner if we roll a 1.

Our Mrs Reynolds (OMR) has a few things that seemed to be deliberately built to make it difficult to win. (Note, this is all 3-player, and choosing the main/supporting characters).

Saffron: You have to scan to beat her. But... once you scan, she starts dumping out bad guys. Because if you don't scan for her, she escapes and you've failed a big chunk of the objective (and take a Flaw each).

So unless you scan for her and spot her pretty close the left side of the 'Verse, you lose. And she's a 5 Cbt, which makes her difficult to beat for an A.

Her escaping also makes Scrapper pretty much undefeatable.

Triumph Bandits: These pretty much require that you use Zoe as not just a MC, but as an active MC. She won't help you as an inactive MC since she has to actually be in play.

Welded Door: This is a huge pain. 4 Cbt for an A ain't cheap or likely.

Good Night Kiss: At best, this is a push. Gain one Flaw for Mal and/or Inara, gain one Talent but only if you use both as MCs. You're better off playing without either one, but you're probably going to need Inara for Jaynestown.

Scrap Shop: See above. The probably isn't just the 3 Cbt, or the "Cbt on top of your deck" requirement. It's that you lose the 3 cbt regardless. When you're trying to deal with Saffron (5) and Welded Door (4), and Triumph Bandits (2/4, but mostly 4), and Scrappers (3/6, about 66%/33%)

Controls Jammed: This is a pretty reasonable card, all things considered. 3 Recruit to repair isn't bad, and you can typically deal with it the turn it comes out.

Basically, 7 of the 10 episode cards are Cbt oriented. That means you have to generate roughly... 5 + 4 + 3 + (4+2) + (3+6) = 27 Cbt in 17 turns. The players are going to generate a low average of 30 Cbt. Yes, you'll buy more cards and probably half of those will be combat, but you'll be trying to keep up on Recruit as well. And Scrap Shop will toss out at least one of those 3 Cbt turns. And you have to scan, sorta, which is more Combat. You have to scan for the side jobs and Saffron. But Saffron (and Welded Door) bone you if you do manage to scan them.

There's also Side Jobs, but those are a bit too variable to factor in reliably. However, if you don't scan for them, you lose them unless you can deal with them on the turn they hit the zone, and that will typically make things worse.

It seems like OMR is Cbt heavy, which is odd for both the contents of the aired episode as we recall, and for an A episode.

Saffron is a major hosing card for the players. Scan her early, and she's going to dump a ton of the other episode/Cbt cards into the Zone. If she dumps Scrap Shop into the Zone as well, you might as well pack it up and start over. Even if it doesn't show up, you have to deal with the Cbt cards in the Zone and stop Saffron before she gets to the Zone. That's a lot of combat. But if she escapes, the Scrappers become more tougher and you lose that objective. Gaaak. And Gaaak.

One other problem is the lack of Defeating/KO effects. But we'll cover that in a separate post.

Our question remains... how do you defeat this episode? All we can really figure out to do proactively is use Zoe. Jayne is iffy: he gives you extra Combat on his Talent, but his deck is your major grey defeater. Simon is 50/50 as always: make him a MC to heal with his Talent, or in support to get his healing cards. Inara is also iffy: Good Night Kiss bones her, but you need her for Jaynestown.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Crow
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
Making Mal and Inara both inactive Main Characters will help you with Good Night Kiss. You suffer no downside, but everyone who is active gets a flaw.

But that means putting Inara in as a MC (so none of her cards). And you kinda need her for Jaynestown.

And making Mal an inactive MC means you don't gain access to his cards. And he's one of the more reliable Cbt/Coordinate generators.

So we're not sure if that's worth it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Crow
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
Well, we did manage to beat OMR tonight. It was still more luck than anything resembling skill.

Victory amounted to:

1) A scan picking up Saffron early on.

2) The next turn after Saffron being revealed, a player managed to have 3 Cbt and someone coordinated for 2 more with Pain is Scary.

3) We got Play Tall Card as a Side Job. It's arguably the easiest SJ to beat, and we always sigh in relief when it comes up. You might lose it, but the luck factor favors you when you get it. Compare that to SJs like Deliver a Baby (getting 3 Coordinate cards in one turn? Good luck!) or Medical Supplies (which requires you to complete an objective before to beat it).

-----

It still seems like beating OMR is a matter of luck. Here's the only things we can recommend:

1) Play with Zoe as an active MC. You need her to have a decent edge in beating the Triumph Bandits.

2) Although it's important in every episode, grab Combat Coordinate! for OMR, ASAP. Given the preponderance of grey cards, you're going to need that two extra CBT to beat Saffron and Welded Door.

Other then that... we got nothing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Crow
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
Once we beat OMR, we moved on to the last two episodes of the designated trio, and the next (and last trio). They were all at least as easy to beat than OMR, and sometimes easier.

The Cs on both (Trash, Objects in Space) are tough. But a) as the wrapups for the set, they should be, and b) they don't seem any tougher than OMR. Although they are Cs, and OMR is an A.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.