Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Agnese K
Latvia
Riga
Riga
flag msg tools
mb
I have this box full of dice. Dice is fascinating. However game itself is meh. So meh that I am ashamed that i have paid money for it.

Question is - have you guys come up with a variant thats more fun to play? Woul love to try out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristo Vaher
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reiiya wrote:
I have this box full of dice. Dice is fascinating. However game itself is meh. So meh that I am ashamed that i have paid money for it.

Question is - have you guys come up with a variant thats more fun to play? Woul love to try out.

What I can tell you is that not all games are for everybody. I personally really love the game, I love collecting different kind of dice and using their effects. I wish there were even more expansions that expand the mechanisms introduced in the expansions and add more variety.

But it's not for everyone and there is no simple tweak that suddenly turns it around for you if you are disliking the experience so far. Yes, variants and expansions can make a good game better, but if it is 'meh' already for you, then there's nothing really makes it anything better than 'a little less meh'.

Oh and hi Riga! I hope summer is less rainy for you than it is here for me in Tallinn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznan
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a really simple game, somehow troubled by too long setup. You can take a look at my Redux variant (in forum's variant section), but yeah, if you don't like the game, chances are, the variant won't help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agnese K
Latvia
Riga
Riga
flag msg tools
mb
Thing is, I like Yahtzee kind of games occasionally, I love Dominion. Concept is fascinating, but game feels "meh". I can't give up, I'll try it again a few times

Slashdoctor wrote:

Oh and hi Riga! I hope summer is less rainy for you than it is here for me in Tallinn.

Hi Tallin! It rains here as well

rattkin wrote:
It's a really simple game, somehow troubled by too long setup. You can take a look at my Redux variant (in forum's variant section), but yeah, if you don't like the game, chances are, the variant won't help.

Will do, thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex P
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
First, I agree with the other poster that it might just not be the game for you. I agree that it isn't the most interesting game out there, but I like it because I love the dice.

Second, there are some advancesd rules you can try -- they might be mentioned in your rulebook or not, depending on what printing you have. There's the option to buy up to two dice each turn instead of just one. This adds strategy because if you can buy only one, it's almost always right to buy the most expensive die you can afford. By allowing you to buy two, maybe it makes more sense in some situations to buy two smaller dice, esp. early in the game when you've still got a lot of the starting chaff in your bag.

Then there's the advanced culling rule. The basic rule us that you can cull as many dice from your used pile as you scored, so of course you always use that to get rid of the chaff. The advanced rule is that you only get the points for a die if you cull **it**, so you have to choose between doing getting points and losing a good die or forsaking the points but keeping the good one around and getting rid of something less useful.

Finally, while Quarriors! really isn't a deep strategy game, after a few plays you might notice it isn't quite as random as it seems. Lots of dice feels random, but actually is **less** random than having only a few dice. So while any individual die might not come up with the face you wanted, in almost every roll you'll have some blend of useful creatures and the quiddity required to activate them and get new resources, even if it isn't exactly the blend you'd expected.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.