44.7% of Goal | left

Support:

Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Although I've been very involved in the expansion, I note that the game is not hitting the table lately due to its length. Unfortunately, the expansion has no suggestions in this regard. Playing only two ages clearly would not work without some kind of accelerated start, since it takes time to build up and come into contact with each other.

Any ideas?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Inkpen
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The same answer as to most of these queries of 'How do I shorten this game?' or 'How do I add a 4th Age' - you don't.

Assuming a game is well designed (if not, you wouldn't be playing it right?), then the game takes the right amount of time for what it does, it's long enough for the different strategic plans to reach fruition, and short enough that it doesn't consist of lather/rinse/repeat at the end, and/or an insurmountable snowball problem.

Once you've got about 3 games under your belt, then if you want to shave 10% off of a game then sharpen up on your rules knowledge, keep people focused on the game, and all get more practiced with it. If you are looking to cut more than that, you want a different game, and get the original out when you do have time for it.

There are very few games (<5% in my estimation) that you can shave a third off the time of competent play and still have the same game, and have it be as good as the full game. This is not one of those rarities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoffer Lundberg
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wholeheartedly agree with Jonathan on this one. The game is perfect in timing for the kind of system it uses and the goals it presents. Experienced players will have a faster game.

I could suggest some variant play styles though, that keeps the mechanics but will allow for faster games. One of these is presented here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1614747/playing-conan-ti..., especially the Young Conan variant which totally skips the experience system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arto Saari
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
I disagree with the previous comments. With expansion, Conan has turned into slower moving tug-of-war from the non-expansion version that suffered from "don't mind me I'm just passing through Conan the wanderer" and avoiding military conflict altogether.

I like the new mechanics but we only reached 1st age change after 3 hours and had to call it a night.

So.. as a I love to tweak things I came up with the following:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rqd7y01selnmcp5/Age%20of%20Conan%2...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoffer Lundberg
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stanmons wrote:
I disagree with the previous comments. With expansion, Conan has turned into slower moving tug-of-war from the non-expansion version that suffered from "don't mind me I'm just passing through Conan the wanderer" and avoiding military conflict altogether.

I like the new mechanics but we only reached 1st age change after 3 hours and had to call it a night.

So.. as a I love to tweak things I came up with the following:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rqd7y01selnmcp5/Age%20of%20Conan%2...

I really like some of your optional rules!

Currently pondering on how to improve the speed of the "God Bid". Perhaps just go with a random god every age.

The thing is.. this game can be extremely fast if EVERYONE playing know the rules in and out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.