49.4% of Goal | left

Support:

nat tact
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So I am working with a local graphic designer who I enjoy their art. There is just a slight issue and that is they are not a gamer. This is fine but I'm no graphic designer and the ingredients in the middle of the drinks kind of look a little off. Anyone have any advice on how to make them not so weird or out of place?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ravage Board Gaming
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Make the cup bigger and change the font. Narrow fonts can be difficult to read at a glance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you changed the font so that it took up less vertical space (like Stomski recommended), you could slightly expand the transparent rectangle and put the ingredients in that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it may be the fact that the ingredients are just images over on another image of a coffee cup so theres not enough connection to put them together and at the same time not enough of a disconnect to be representative. So I think you can solve it by going to ether end of the scale. Incorporate them to make them look like their printed on a label on the cup, like on one of those cardboard sleeves or treat the cup as a background and fade away the middle where the ingredients are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
I would line the icons up vertically along the left hand side of the card.

This way you could fan your cards and still get the important info.

Yes, the rest of the card would just be a picture of a cup, but there is still some visual interest in the different kind of cups and you could put other objects/backgrounds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mafman6 wrote:
I think it may be the fact that the ingredients are just images over on another image of a coffee cup so theres not enough connection to put them together and at the same time not enough of a disconnect to be representative. So I think you can solve it by going to ether end of the scale. Incorporate them to make them look like their printed on a label on the cup, like on one of those cardboard sleeves or treat the cup as a background and fade away the middle where the ingredients are.

I agree. I find that they are "floating" off putting. A label would be good or you could run the icons down the side or across the top or bottom or under the title.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nat tact
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the input, I guess I should have explained the game a little more. That makes sense in hindsight.

These drinks are in a community market and the player has ingredient cards in their hands. The ingredient cards have the large ingredient image in the center and small ones in each corner for fanning purposes.

Thanks for the input on the font, I think the artist choose that font because that drink is the longest named drink.

I like the idea of the cardboard sleeve but I also want the ingredient icons to be as large as possible so that they are easy to see. It is a gateway game and the information on the card is limited.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
Do the cups need to be cards? Or normal card sized?

Could the cups be tiles and the tiles cup shaped? Then the whole dimension of the object opens up to print the icons.

With respect to the icons themselves, they seem to have too much detail/too complex making recognition at a glance difficult. I'm thinking a box for the almond milk. A foam pile for steamed milk. A drop for liquid milk. Simpler.

EDIT: the current icons also seem to have different perspective angles making them very weird to look at as a group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Nikiforov
Russia
flag msg tools
Hello Nat, just make him add a glow to icons, light glow is enough to make them read like you need.
Good lucj with this!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asher Kennedy
United States
Chattanooga
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A mix of dkearns and mafman. Incorporate a cardboard sleeve or similar visual design to create further interest on the cup, but align the ingredients vertically along the left edge from the top.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nathairday wrote:
I like the idea of the cardboard sleeve but I also want the ingredient icons to be as large as possible so that they are easy to see.

If you think trying to make them look like a real part of the object you have will cost you too much space then I'd vote for whiting out the central area to make the icons stand out.
Maybe doing a singular icon color coded background circle thing could work....but I'd wager that would take up too much room in making that look nice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Pretoria
Gauteng
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mafman6 wrote:
I think it may be the fact that the ingredients are just images over on another image of a coffee cup so theres not enough connection to put them together and at the same time not enough of a disconnect to be representative. So I think you can solve it by going to ether end of the scale. Incorporate them to make them look like their printed on a label on the cup.

The best idea. You can have a label for each ingredient; where each label is a more like a sticker; say, square or round, with the ingredient image drawn onto it.

A sort-of example would the square labels on the right-hand side of this cup:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davin Nisser
United States
Sonora
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Move the title to the bottom with the VP (?) icon. Make the cup a bit smaller and put the ingredients across the top. Change the ingredient icons so they are being poured into the drink.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Dave
United States
La Jolla
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Remove the cup. Turn the cards sideways, and style them like a coffee cup sleeve. Then align the icons so they aren't floating, but more like a starbucks sleeve that have places for the barista to mark what the drink is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nat tact
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thank you all for the feedback. I like all the ideas that have been presented and gives my designer some better more articulate feed back then "dis don't look right enough."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.