Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
Re: MM has Targi back in stock 16Aug
That's cool. I think I'll pass on this back in stock hot deal; however, definitely let me know next week when it's back in stock again. And yes, before you even say it, I know it's in stock at Cardhaus and CSI and will continue to be, but I wanna know when it's in stock at Miniature Market!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben B
United States
Yakima
Washington
flag msg tools
That's the beauty of the hot deals forum. You can just move on if it doesn't interest you. However, most people don't need to create a dramatic narrative when they do so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
benchilada wrote:
That's the beauty of the hot deals forum. You can just move on if it doesn't interest you. However, most people don't need to create a dramatic narrative when they do so.
The beauty of the hot deals forum is that you can subscribe and catch all the threads about legitimate hot deals. Getting notified that there are new threads about not-a-hot-deals increases the noise in the signal. If we allow people to keep posting things that aren't hot deals then eventually the actual hot deals are swamped by the announcements that aren't really hot deals and subscribing to the forum stops being worth it.

Maybe getting spammed by these threads doesn't bother you, but they aren't the purpose of this forum and there are forum rules about what you are supposed to post. And since it does bother me and many others, I'm going to ignore the fact that you're okay with it, because you don't get to redefine the purpose of this forum or rewrite the forum rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
FL
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
benchilada wrote:

sure why not put that lobsters are on sale at market basket for $4.99/lb... and every other thing but the kitchen sink

the point is is that the best forum for "back in stock" non-hot info is the game's own forum(s)...

Targi

because guess what, those looking for info on when it's going to be back in stock are looking (or subscribed) there... those of us subscribed to "hot deals" are expecting "hot deals" not "back in stock"

in any case this non hot deals post doesn't even follow the admins suggestions for a hot deals post, see

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1417183/what-hot-deal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
benchilada wrote:

I'm not creating a "dramatic narrative". I'm busting the guy's balls. Lighten up, friendo.

Or maybe I'm being sincere. I wish every game had back in stock notifications in the hot deals section. How sweet would that be?!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sauberer
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JeffyJeff wrote:
benchilada wrote:

sure why not put that lobsters are on sale at market basket for $4.99/lb... and every other thing but the kitchen sink

the point is is that the best forum for "back in stock" non-hot info is the game's own forum(s)...

Targi

because guess what, those looking for info on when it's going to be back in stock are looking (or subscribed) there... those of us subscribed to "hot deals" are expecting "hot deals" not "back in stock"

in any case this non hot deals post doesn't even follow the admins suggestions for a hot deals post, see

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1417183/what-hot-deal

As has been pointed out to you before, posting about a retailer to a gamer forum is a violation of the game forum rules. Such posts would be removed as soon as reported to an admin.

Continually encouraging BGG members to violate rules is something that should be avoided. There is a complaints forum (I won't bother to provide a link because I'm fairly certain that you wouldn't use it.) That is where your audience lies for something like this. There you could debate whether the prohibition of retailer posts should be changed. An off topic post here in Hot Deals is not the proper venue.

IMHO...YMMV
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
clarence neal

chattanooga
Tennessee
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Targi has been hard to get for sometime now...I was notified by MM that they had it back and I thought that I would pass that on. I did not, and will not, search every other retailer to check thief stock also. The additional information that it is also at CSI is great news and a welcome addition to this thread! It looks like Z-Man has been able to get a good number of them back in the distribution channels now, but considering that for as long as I have been looking to get a copy they have been out in of stock in all the places that I buy from, I'd maintain that this was an appropriate thread in exact forum that it should be in. Given the same circumstances tomorrow I will do it again.
If this violates a forum rule I would like a Mod to PM with the specifics of my violation.

GAME ON ☺️
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sauberer
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
benchilada wrote:
The beauty of the hot deals forum is that you can subscribe and catch all the threads about legitimate hot deals. Getting notified that there are new threads about not-a-hot-deals increases the noise in the signal. If we allow people to keep posting things that aren't hot deals then eventually the actual hot deals are swamped by the announcements that aren't really hot deals and subscribing to the forum stops being worth it.

Maybe getting spammed by these threads doesn't bother you, but they aren't the purpose of this forum and there are forum rules about what you are supposed to post. And since it does bother me and many others, I'm going to ignore the fact that you're okay with it, because you don't get to redefine the purpose of this forum or rewrite the forum rules.

These are the "Guidelines" for the Hot Deals forum in the pinned post.

Quote:
These are GUIDELINES for posting in the Hot Deals forum. Please keep them in consideration when posting in this forum.

A Hot Deal posting HAS:
1. A price.
2. A Region or virtual platform in the subject line ([US], [Global], [Kansas City, MO, USA], [iOS/Android/PC/Mac], etc.)
--- 2a. Hot Deals for the region of Europe should be posted in the Europe specific subforum: https://boardgamegeek.com/forum/1177627/boardgamegeek/hot-de...
3. A descriptive subject line that includes: retailer and price or discount percentage.
4. A board game or board game related item for sale.

A Hot Deal posting DOES NOT/IS NOT:
1. Self-promoting
2. An auction
3. Contain a referral link / request of any kind.
4. Contain a members-only website (members-only stores, like Costco are ok)

There is nothing there prohibiting posting of a back in stock item that has had demand outstrip supply on a consistent basis for months at what would be considered a "normal" price.

In fact, given the nature of this particular game, where the supply is usually gone within a short time at the offered price, that looks like the definition of a "hot deal."

"I don't want to see it" isn't the standard for a hot deal.

A lot of time would be saved by just hitting the "Mark Read" button on the subscription page as opposed to writing a post, particularly in some cases, a post that tells people to violate site rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmbmb
Psauberer wrote:

Quote:
These are GUIDELINES for posting in the Hot Deals forum. Please keep them in consideration when posting in this forum.

A Hot Deal posting HAS:
1. A price.
2. A Region or virtual platform in the subject line ([US], [Global], [Kansas City, MO, USA], [iOS/Android/PC/Mac], etc.)
--- 2a. Hot Deals for the region of Europe should be posted in the Europe specific subforum: https://boardgamegeek.com/forum/1177627/boardgamegeek/hot-de...
3. A descriptive subject line that includes: retailer and price or discount percentage.

1. Self-promoting
2. An auction

There is nothing there prohibiting posting of a back in stock item that has had demand outstrip supply on a consistent basis for months at what would be considered a "normal" price.

Those guidelines are quite obviously necessary, not sufficient. If you only care about those guidelines, you could post any retail game at any time.

BRB, posting five thousand new hot deals threads.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
Psauberer wrote:
Thunkd wrote:
benchilada wrote:

Quote:

A Hot Deal posting HAS:
1. A price.

1. Self-promoting
2. An auction

In fact, given the nature of this particular game, where the supply is usually gone within a short time at the offered price, that looks like the definition of a "hot deal."

A lot of time would be saved by just hitting the "Mark Read" button on the subscription page as opposed to writing a post, particularly in some cases, a post that tells people to violate site rules.

"'I don't want to see it' isn't the standard for a hot deal". Don't be intellectually dishonest. That's not the primary argument aimed at back in stock posts.

I adore these "don't waste your time", "just red x" posts. Not the slightest sense of self-awareness.

I'm beyond tempted to spam the Hot Deal forums with a slew of random back in stock titles at Miniature Market. It fits the guidelines, guys!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmbmb
broken clock wrote:
I'm beyond tempted to spam the Hot Deal forums with a slew of random back in stock titles at Miniature Market. It fits the guidelines, guys!

Settlers of Catan, $50.49 on Walmart.com third party! Free shipping! I assume it was out of stock at some point, probably!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
clarence neal

chattanooga
Tennessee
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Headed over there to snag Catan right now!!! That is a great deal, thanks for the heads up!! I believe that it should have its own thread tho-lots of folks are gonna miss it here. Keep em coming guys, my Aquisition Disorder is extra twitchy today!!☺️
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JeffyJeff wrote:

If by "best forum" you mean "forum where it's explicitly prohibited, as opposed to this forum, where it's only implicitly prohibited..."

I agree, generally, with your sentiments on the use of this forum, but you really need to stop telling people to do this. It's BAD ADVICE.

The problem is, there really is no place to post "back in stock" threads.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sauberer
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This deal was so cold it's already gone.

[Dead] should probably be added in the title. Maybe that will help the forum police get past it since the title of the game wasn't enough to tip them off that it wasn't something they were interested in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Weimer
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
broken clock wrote:
Psauberer wrote:
Thunkd wrote:
benchilada wrote:

Quote:

A Hot Deal posting HAS:
1. A price.

1. Self-promoting
2. An auction

"'I don't want to see it' isn't the standard for a hot deal". Don't be intellectually dishonest. That's not the primary argument aimed at back in stock posts.

I adore these "don't waste your time", "just red x" posts. Not the slightest sense of self-awareness.

So do it, and watch how literally no one cares. Other than forum police such as yourself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
clarence neal

chattanooga
Tennessee
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grant5 wrote:
JeffyJeff wrote:

If by "best forum" you mean "forum where it's explicitly prohibited, as opposed to this forum, where it's only implicitly prohibited..."

I agree, generally, with your sentiments on the use of this forum, but you really need to stop telling people to do this. It's BAD ADVICE.

More than just bad advice, it's justifiably ignored advice.

Amazon has it from several places starting at 40 bucks, Cardhaus may have it but you either have to buy a higher price point of games to get free shipping or pay shipping. The Geekmarket has used ones but you have to factor in shipping and condition there also...every option that I saw(and I'll only look so far...) was more expensive AND EVERY SINGLE TIME that Targi came back in stock where I shop it sold out before I could get it.
It is a blazing hot deal to have it AVAILABLE AND LESS EXPENSIVE. I'm glad that CSI has it now also... Makes the deal even hotter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Selling out almost instantly would seem to imply that the deal was in fact hot...

Pete (knows that's not the rule, but it might be the standard)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Hammond
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
I bought one. Thanks for the heads up Ihwarrior.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
Ihwarrior wrote:
grant5 wrote:
JeffyJeff wrote:

More than just bad advice, it's justifiably ignored advice.

Amazon has it from several places starting at 40 bucks, Cardhaus may have it but you either have to buy a higher price point of games to get free shipping or pay shipping. The Geekmarket has used ones but you have to factor in shipping and condition there also...every option that I saw(and I'll only look so far...) was more expensive AND EVERY SINGLE TIME that Targi came back in stock where I shop it sold out before I could get it.
It is a blazing hot deal to have it AVAILABLE AND LESS EXPENSIVE. I'm glad that CSI has it now also... Makes the deal even hotter.

CSI has it and with the average customer discount it's probably cheaper for many people than the offering from MM. You posted the wrong hot deal! And that one has more than 5 copies available! Crazy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Pierce
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Lighten up, Friendo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Rodriguez
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
Getting notified that there are new threads about not-a-hot-deals increases the noise in the signal. If we allow people to keep posting things that aren't hot deals then eventually the actual hot deals are swamped by the announcements that aren't really hot deals and subscribing to the forum stops being worth it.

Yesssss....it's working...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Harrison
United States
Beavercreek
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grant5 wrote:

Really, there is. Right here. In fact, while people have focused on the first part of the admins' response to posting retailer posts in game forums, they are ignoring the second part.
1. The offending threads deleted.
2. The admins send a geek mail to the poster suggesting they post their thread in the Hot Deals forum instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared
United States
flag msg tools
mb
Why do the people who complain about their time being wasted by "non-hot-deals" being posted end up wasting so much MORE time arguing in those "non-hot-deal" threads? If you really cared about your time being wasted, you wouldn't waste it complaining about how it was wasted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Marowske
United States
Macomb
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If the OP had simply removed the words "back in stock" from his thread title, and instead had listed:

1. The price [$19.49].
2. The Region [USA]
3. A descriptive subject line that includes: retailer [Miniature Market] and price [$19.49] or discount percentage.
4. The name of the board game for sale [Targi].

Would this have satisfied the self-proclaimed H.D.P.D.?

Because that is all that is required pursuant to https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1417183/what-hot-deal, and if that is the case, this whole outcry over the inclusion of "back in stock" seems rather silly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.