1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: How do you want to die? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J.D. Hall
msg tools
Couldn't think of a better headline than the one for this article:

http://us.cnn.com/2016/08/16/health/good-death-wisdom-projec...

My dad died four years ago at the age of 82 after a decade of increasing bronchial issues and dementia, going out in his sleep at the veterans' care center in Norman. My wife's father, grandfather and grandmother all died after long, painful bouts with illness, and in the case of her grandparents, dementia. My grandmother-in-law died curled up in the fetal position, a feeding tube dangling uselessly in her stomach at a nursing home, while my grandfather-in-law slipped into a coma and died at a different nursing home. In none of those cases did they plan how they would go out, nor consult with health care people. Of course, when dementia bites deep, the care required is beyond the ability of most non-professionals to provide.

Maybe it's because I will turn 58 in less than four months that I am thinking about this subject lately. I'm not depressed or anything like that, and according to my primary care physician, I am in amazingly good shape for a moron who still indulges in tobacco. But I know, down the road, that I will die. My main concern, one discussed in length with my family and doctor and enshrined in my living will, is that I am not a burden on my wife and children, and that I don't empty the bank seeking medical care to prolong my life for a few months or years. Of course I don't want to suffer from horrible pain or linger for years, but really, I want it to be easy on my family.

And after seeing three people I love degenerate under the impact of their dementia, I have made it abundantly clear to my loved ones that if I receive that diagnosis, I will promptly take myself out courtesy of one of my handguns. It's a disease that is awful for the patient, but far worse for the family.

Maybe my mindset will change when I get to that point, but right now, I'm good. If I died tomorrow, I'd feel satisfied. I've had a good life, done some amazing things, raised two wonderful and talented daughters, loved a good woman and played with a few more. You really can't ask for anything more than that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't, but if I have to I want it quick and painless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McVey
United States
SF Bay Area
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My dad used to answer this with "Shot by a jealous husband".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my sleep like my grandfather.
Not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car.

But seriously- grandfather went from a heart attack. it was super fast in his sleep. It may have been a little painful or he may not have even woken up.

My mother was very tired of medical efforts to keep her going as the period between hospital visits got shorter. She almost died at home- I broke in and they took her to the hospital. She was doing fine and then she died of blood poisoning (most likely from the blood transfusions she had been given previously).

She was very specific that she did not want to be warehoused like grandma was for 6 years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lone Locust of the Apocalypse
United States
Sandworms USA
Plateau of Leng
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Really as long as I get to choose I'm fine. Also it won't really matter if I don't, since I'll be dead. It isn't like I'm going to get a refund or anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the same way Tyrion Lannister wants to go out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:
Short with no nose?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
There are encouraging signs that the future may be brighter than it first appears. Alzheimers dementia is the focus of a lot of ongoing research. There are two things that accumulate in the brains of people with this disease: amyloid beta and hyperphosphorylated tau. There is already a vaccine against amyloid beta that can stimulate the immune system to clear it out of the brain. The problem is that this does not lead to marked clinical benefit while tau is still gumming up the works. However, just within the last months a similar approach to clearing tau has started to take off. Combining these two, perhaps the people suffering with dementia can be saved from their disease.

I think we live in a time where there is great potential for new medical technologies, even against diseases of aging. Ultimately, aging itself could even be reversed by dealing with all the different types of damage that occur in the human body.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tmcvey wrote:
My dad used to answer this with "Shot by a jealous husband".
Suicide?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quickly

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
jeremycobert wrote:
Short with no nose?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. S.
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
The mention of Kennedy in that article is an interesting example of what a good death looks like not because of how his brothers died but because a life in politics probably meant a diminished experience of 'simple pleasures' in everyday life.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
Doing something I love.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. S.
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
whac3 wrote:
Doing something I love.

That's how I'd want to live.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
red black wrote:
Too bad for you, now back into the mine!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Beaton
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
I have a cunning plan
mbmbmbmbmb
Saving the life of someone who deserves it.

Or, some way that would make my family and friends really want to say "We told you so!" but they can't because I'm dead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven McKinney
United States
Kingsville
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmb
Quickly would be the best way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. S.
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
TheChin! wrote:
red black wrote:
Too bad for you, now back into the mine!

'The bad machine doesn't know that he's a bad machine.'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
msg tools
jeremycobert wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
jeremycobert wrote:
Short with no nose?

I figured someone would pop this in. Yes, it is the optimum way out!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
msg tools
Kiraboshi wrote:
There are encouraging signs that the future may be brighter than it first appears. Alzheimers dementia is the focus of a lot of ongoing research. There are two things that accumulate in the brains of people with this disease: amyloid beta and hyperphosphorylated tau. There is already a vaccine against amyloid beta that can stimulate the immune system to clear it out of the brain. The problem is that this does not lead to marked clinical benefit while tau is still gumming up the works. However, just within the last months a similar approach to clearing tau has started to take off. Combining these two, perhaps the people suffering with dementia can be saved from their disease.

I think we live in a time where there is great potential for new medical technologies, even against diseases of aging. Ultimately, aging itself could even be reversed by dealing with all the different types of damage that occur in the human body.

Probably all quite true, but probably is not something I will wait for. My reality is that if I'm lucky and take care of myself, I'll have 20-25 good years ahead, maybe less. And after watching family members age into their 90's (Heather's grandfather was almost 98 when he died), living to a "ripe old age" holds no charm for me. It is sad to see what the aging process does -- and right now, there's no cure for getting old and dying. If I make it to 75, I'd consider it a full life.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
red black wrote:
whac3 wrote:
Doing something I love.

exactly
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
casey r lowe
United States
butte
Montana
flag msg tools
mb
suicide via euthanasia
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
As a part of the final heat death of the universe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Rowls
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My dad was a bus driver, he died peaceable in his sleep unlike his passengers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Badolato
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quietly, in my sleep at the age of 100 after making mad, passionate love to my wife.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.