Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Newsham
United Kingdom
Halifax
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After a couple of plays, the ridges on the oil barrels are already getting chipped and showing the resin underneath. With the resin being very light in colour, the damage is very noticeable.

I've just been storing the resources in the plastic tubs, so it seems like them rattling around against each other during my drive to games night has been enough to cause this problem.

Anyone else had the same thing happen?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sean stockton
msg tools
mb
I have not...but Mine is also largely stationary, we've only actually put the boxed game away once and took it back out again the next night...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Heineman
United States
LaCrosse
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tarnop wrote:
After a couple of plays, the ridges on the oil barrels are already getting chipped and showing the resin underneath. With the resin being very light in colour, the damage is very noticeable.

I've just been storing the resources in the plastic tubs, so it seems like them rattling around against each other during my drive to games night has been enough to cause this problem.

That's unfortunate. A solution would be to purchase some krylon matte finish or testor's dullcote and brush or spray a protective layer on them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Neave-Houghting
United Kingdom
Basildon
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tarnop wrote:

Yup, I had several damaged before I'd even played it... it's a shame, but to be expected I guess with small, thin parts sticking out like they do.

The replacement parts form suggests not requesting replacements for minor cosmetic stuff like that, so I guess I'll use a blue marker to colour the breaks so they'll just look like battered old oil drums like most do anyway

Russ
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Barree
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
General Bonkers says the War on String may be unwinnable. Detractors worry that his statements will embolden string.
mbmbmbmbmb
My oil barrels arrived with one missing and one broken. Still waiting for replacements.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lines J. Hutter
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No problems with the barrels yet.
But the 1 Coins already start loosing their color on the edges soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have two chipped, may mix paint to match color --I wouldn't demand replacement for this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Don: I don't see a "Don Barree" on our replacement parts form, but if you let me know your real name, I'm happy to look up the status of your request.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

lukeheineman99 wrote:
That's unfortunate. A solution would be to purchase some krylon matte finish or testor's dullcote and brush or spray a protective layer on them.

Have always done this for all my painted components (that I care about). It helps a lot, over the course of time. You can use any good quality clear matt spray.

Though I suggest that if you can afford the time, to test your spray on two items painted bright white. Spray one of the items and use the other as a control. Wait a month to see if any yellowing develops.

There's also good advice on clear sprays, over in the forums where the miniatures guys hang out. (Am on the road now otherwise I'd search for a few links).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olli T
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My oil barrels and some coins has began to show some wearing too. I have played the game (carefully) several times now. I thought it will take, like, hundreds of sessions before that happens...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Newsham
United Kingdom
Halifax
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll give them a dab of paint and a spray of dullcote, they should be fine

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xavier Nostradunwhich
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Had the same thing happen. We started being careful about having the "banker" hand over the metal bars separate from the other tokens and that seems to have stopped the damage.

Those metal bar tokens are heavy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Myers
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
Dexposure.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
be sure to paint the chipped part of the oil barrels black, to represent the leaking oil.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristo Vaher
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I think that the heavy metal bars are what cause most of the damage. I was actually surprised that they were not made of the same material as other tokens as metal with sharp edges is bound to damage board as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olli T
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My tokens has been stored by type in their containers inside the box and handled carefully from the day one, and still I can see some broken edges on the oil barrels. Maybe the material is just too fragile for that kind of a thing..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Swinkels
Belgium
Diest-Webbekom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Slashdoctor wrote:
... metal with sharp edges is bound to damage board as well.

This is something I have noticed already after 2 plays. Lots of scratches on the board where the metal tokens were placed...

Imagine having to "downgrade" to the wooden tokens and cardboard coins for future plays wow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kostas K.
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, the OP certainly opened a can of worms. I am surprised there weren't any previous threads about what seems to be a widespread problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uwe Hock
Germany
Bamberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I noticed one barrel with chipped ridges so far, have to take care :cry:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't call it widespread. There are 26,000 copies of Scythe in peoples' hands right now. There are, what, 20 people on this thread?

Based on replacement parts requests, the only thing we've noticed a fair amount of (and it's still only around 100 requests) is that the windmills are prone to breaking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kostas K.
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think chipped paint in one resource type and scratches on the board warrant replacements requests. It's not a "serious" problem by any means, and that's probably why only after one person decided to make a thread about it, another 10+ felt they should also bring it up.

I agree that it's only 10 people out of the 10,000 or so collector's edition copies of Scythe out there, but there's currently only this thread discussing it and so far it's 10 out of 10 people confirming these admittedly minor issues.

I think having the chance to buy a wooden resource pack would be nice. Chipped paint is one thing, but scratching the wonderful two-part board would be a real shame.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure, you can buy the wooden resources here (you're in Greece): http://stonemaier-games.myshopify.com/collections/scythe-eur...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Newsham
United Kingdom
Halifax
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not especially worried about it. I made the thread because I previously did something similar about marks on the backs of tiles for Euphoria: Build a Better Dystopia. In that thread, Jamey reassured me that it definitely merited a replacement request, so I made this post to similarly test the waters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kostas K.
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:
Sure, you can buy the wooden resources here (you're in Greece): http://stonemaier-games.myshopify.com/collections/scythe-eur...

Done

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Paul. I wouldn't necessarily say the same for these tokens, but I tend not to chime in about such things unless people specifically ask me, as I'm the type of gamer who doesn't care if my components have that type of damage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Swinkels
Belgium
Diest-Webbekom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the link Jamey.
I also ordered a set of wooden resource tokens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.