Subject: Akachi Oneyle 1st ability-Pretty much useless? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Johannes Blank
Germany
Münster
Northrine-Westphalia
flag msg tools
When I first played with Akachi, i thought the first ability allowed her to look at the Other World encounter cards, so I used the ability to scout ahead before entering other worlds (before gaining focus was a thing). I now know that the ability just makes me look at the first two gate tokens. This seems completely useless. Even with marginal synergy with the second ability, why would I ever waste an action, rather than gain a focus token or doing something else? You don't even have too much control about when the next gate appears, and then I will only have a slightly improved choice about where it appears? Please help me out here, I really like the character, just don't see much usefullness in that ability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep in mind that the investigators of the base game were created as no focus mechanic existed.

It could often happen that you aren't on a city space and you do not want to move because you want to face a monster or clue token on your current space. Maybe you stay there for several turns because you do not pass the tests. You may not buy tickets, nor move or acquire assets. If there is a monster on your space you may not rest and if there is no investigator you may not trade. For such situations her action could be used and you will know where the gate will appear but also know the omen of the gate and choose an omen which won't trigger as fast as the other one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eirik Uthus
Norway
0468 Oslo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You know you can stack the gate tokens to your favour with her ability? The power has two parts, looking on the tokens, and then put one at the bottom and one on the top of the stack. It can help you controll what kind of tokens there is on the map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth H
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would not call it entirely useless, but it is definitely an ability I use after I've exhausted other options like focus and rest. It allows you to regulate the flow of annoying blue gates, or plan a gate on or near somewhere you would like to teleport with your other ability.

Investigators waiting on a wilderness or sea gate may run out of actions, and so appreciate an inherent action that doesn't have any use restrictions. Akachi may also wait on any space with a monster, planning to evade it with Mists. In this circumstance, she can't shop or rest, and tickets may not be as good for her, depending on teleportation options and her objective.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Blank
Germany
Münster
Northrine-Westphalia
flag msg tools
So basically, one only uses her ability when there is nothing different at all you could do and need to stay on your space? I sure wish it was "look at the otherworld encounter cards", that at least gives you a nice advantage. This has to be the most useless ability on any investigator.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I think anything that helps me manage the inevitable Omen-driven tick-down of Doom is a good thing. The Effect, like many Effects in the game, is situational: use it when it's useful, do something else when it isn't, but always consider whether it is useful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The are a number of investigators who have one weak and one strong ability. Akachi is one of them. Here passive ability is quite useful, especially in low-investigator-count games.

(Though I won't say she's anywhere near the strongest investigator out there, neither will I say she's near the weakest, either.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magister Germanicus
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You've gotten some good responses here. I really feel that both of Akachi's abilities are good ones. But just to piggy back here, I've always found that Jim Culver's (the musician) abilities were a bit useless and would welcome responses that can show me otherwise. I mean, his active ability: Action:Each investigator on your space recovers 1 Sanity. What's with that? It's like 1/2 a Rest action. Then his passive ability: Investigators on your space roll 1 additional die when resolving tests during Combat Encounters. Jim only starts with 2 Strength which isn't a strong fighter. Secondly both of his abilities grant the same ability to other investigators on his space which so rarely happens in this game, am I right?

Really, it's his active ability which I find the most useless though. Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
GermanTodd wrote:
You've gotten some good responses here. I really feel that both of Akachi's abilities are good ones. But just to piggy back here, I've always found that Jim Culver's (the musician) abilities were a bit useless and would welcome responses that can show me otherwise. I mean, his active ability: Action:Each investigator on your space recovers 1 Sanity. What's with that? It's like 1/2 a Rest action. Then his passive ability: Investigators on your space roll 1 additional die when resolving tests during Combat Encounters. Jim only starts with 2 Strength which isn't a strong fighter. Secondly both of his abilities grant the same ability to other investigators on his space which so rarely happens in this game, am I right?

Really, it's his active ability which I find the most useless though. Thoughts?

It depends on how many investigators you're using. If you're playing with 2-3, then yeah, you'll probably be too spread out most of the time to make use of Jim's abilities.

But I'd keep in mind that Sanity tends to hit a lot harder and usually hits everyone (due to various mythos effects or GOO's like Nephran-Ka or Hastur), where Stamina damage typically comes in the form of fighting. So over the course of the game everyone is going to be taking Sanity damage. Having Jim accompany other investigators or travel around meeting up with other investigators is a good use of his time; the bonuses to die rolls and extra Sanity healing via smooth jazz doesn't appear too good on paper until you're in a game where he's keeping everyone sane.

I love having him in my party if I'm playing with 4+ investigators.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are on the same space as a monster you may not rest but you may use his active ability to recover sanity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magister Germanicus
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good answers. Thanks for the responses on Jim Culver, Martin and BreadRising.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Always at your service ;P

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Blank
Germany
Münster
Northrine-Westphalia
flag msg tools
To add a little bit to the Jim-Culver discussion: Abilities/effects that require two or more investigators to be on the same field are quite nice with investigators who can cheaply travel (like that sailor guy) and even better with anything that allows teleporting (like that Kopesh thing). Incidentally, the passive ability of Akachi is very nice for that, because you can teleport without using any actions, which makes it really easy to be on the same spot as another investigator if it means some benefit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aurelian
United Kingdom
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Must disagree with some of the views here, I find Akachi's active ability is very strong.

If instead it said "Action: retreat doom by 1" it would be considered good, but when used effectively it's even better than that. You can often choose the colour of the next gate to be farthest away from future omen advances, or to select a less-frequent green/red gate while banishing a blue one to the bottom of the stack.

If you start out with Akachi she can effectively save you several doom advances over the course of the game - which is particularly useful against the AOs where gates and doom track are most threatening: Azathoth, Yig and Hastur.

Also, her active ability has more opportunity for use than might be expected due to synergy with her passive ability and starting spell (Mists of Releh) - because after closing one gate and moving straight to another, she can be needing to find two actions (eg. focus plus her active) while waiting on the new gate space with a monster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a very good ability.
Getting your choice of two gates instead of just one at random will save you a lot of move actions in the future since you don't have to go as far out of your way to reach the gates.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to severely underestimate Akachi and would still agree that her active ability is pretty situational/niche...but her passive ability is good enough to make up for it. Gate management is extremely important and she's one of the best to do it.

EDIT: To add, her passive lets her potentially teleport half way across the map. How many action would it take to normally take to move there?

Something 6 spaces away is the equivalent of three full turns! A lot of other passives let you reroll a single die, that's the equivalent of a focus, or a mere single action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth H
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The ability can potentially have a large impact on how the rest of the game goes, which is something that I alluded to. But that is a quantity that is very difficult to measure indeed. The question, in a practical sense, is how does that stack up with actions you will help you right now? Is it better than Focus or Rest? Closing the gate she's on prevents doom now and in the future, which is usually the line of thought that leads towards just gaining a focus if there's a choice.

In a number of games with Akachi, the game plan is to teleport between gates with her and just keep closing them. She doesn't need to move and she's not great at shopping, so her ability gives her a use for spare actions that's hard to judge, but can be clutch. Of course, if that's not the plan, it can be a lot harder to use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth H
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For Jim, here are a few things that haven't been mentioned. For his action ability, he can recover Sanity even if there's a monster on his space, which can be a big deal. Most characters have to run away to get Sanity back to keep fighting, he might not have to. He can also spend his turn getting back two sanity and one stamina - Rest, plus use the ability. Not the best use of a turn, but if you're waiting to have an encounter, it could be worse. Having other people on your space to heal makes it very worth it.

Second, he is base 3 Strength/4 Will in a fight, which is excellent. His ability gives him two free stat bumps for combat. He is the best investigator to have when it's time to team up for a fight against an epic monster. Even when operating alone, though, I find his stats very solid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim M
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
There are also quite a lot of "your character cannot rest" or "your character cannot recover sanity while resting" types of cards (e.g. One nasty mythos card and some conditions like Poison), and Jim's active ability comes in useful for those and militating some nasty conditions . It can also be synergistic with his passive ability if you're sending a bit band of investigators to fight a bunch of monsters.

It's definitely not one that comes in useful every turn, but I find myself using it occasionally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reid
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Kolmogorv wrote:
So basically, one only uses her ability when there is nothing different at all you could do and need to stay on your space? I sure wish it was "look at the otherworld encounter cards", that at least gives you a nice advantage. This has to be the most useless ability on any investigator.

Just house rule her. I like your version of her ability better. I might just use it myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McCarthy

Connecticut
msg tools
I think Akachi's action ability is one of the most under-rated investigator abilities in the game. This is probably because it's hard to quantify exactly what you've gained from using it, but in practical terms it usually saves you some doom.

Think about it- you get your choice of two gates, you can always choose the token that gives you more time to close the gate. You can (and usually should) always choose to put the blue gates on the bottom, which obviously cost you more doom. If you draw two blues, you still got to avoid one of the blues by putting it on the bottom. If one of the gates is a space that you REALLY want to avoid (ex: a space that is currently in use by the mystery, or Tokyo during an epic monster fight), then you get to avoid that gate. In my opinion, it's a great option for her especially if she is too beat up to continue actually closing gates and needs a round or two to rest.

Jim Culver- a really cool character, in my opinion kind of a jack of all trades. He is a fighter/mage combo who can become really good with a small lore bump and a decent gun- and he has 3 influence to make that happen quickly. From there, he is a monster destroying machine with Wither and a weapon, and decent at closing gates after dealing with the monsters. He is awesome at killing epic monsters, once you pick up a weapon for him. My advise for Jim is to spend a couple turns buying up things and taking debts, and then he is very fun. The sanity recovery is mostly useful when you're mixing it up with nasty monsters, but he is good enough with his stat block and starting spell that it's ok that the sanity recovery doesn't come up often.

Just one man's opinion on these characters...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.