31.9% of Goal | 28 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
35 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Agricola» Forums » Rules

Subject: Just played my first game, had a couple of questions about the rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jcgonzmo 84
msg tools
Let me tell you this game is amazing. I had a fantastic time. I played a two player game. Here are my questions
1)In the left part of the board there is box that says Fishing, for ONE food. It has a red arrow in it. Does in need to be replenish every ROUND like wood, stone, clay, etc? So in the third round, if no one pick up the food, there would be three food accumulated.
2) To use a MINOR IMPROVEMENT card, do you need to land on the minor improvement box or can you use it whenever you want?
3) To use an OCCUPATION card do you need to land on the minor occupation box or can you use it whenever you want?
4) Do OCCUPATION and MINOR IMPROVEMENT card last the whole game, or only ONE turn, or ONE stage?
5)you get 7 minor improvement cards at the beginning. However, can you still pull minor improvement cards from the bank during the game? Or can you only use the 7 cards you got at the beginning (plus any other card any friend had to pass)
5) I bought the Fireplace then I upgraded it. When the harvest phase came, after the end of the final round of the stage. I would just grab one carrot and convert it to three food. Is that ok, or should I have done it before the harvest phase? Should I have landed in a major improvement box to be able to use it?
6) Can you use MAJOR IMPROVEMENTS whenever you want, or do you have to land in a MAJOR IMPROVEMENT box?
7) I also had a card that said that if I had 5 sheep I will get 2 good. So in the harvest phase I will just turn carrot to 3 food, and get 2 food because of the sheep. Is that right?
8) At the end of the phase if I have two animals, they have a baby animal. Does the baby animal stay in the same square as them (making three in one square. I know the maximum is two) or do you need to have another fenced square?

I guess does are the only questions I had to understand the game. I am going to play again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jcgonzmo wrote:
1)In the left part of the board there is box that says Fishing, for ONE food. It has a red arrow in it. Does in need to be replenish every ROUND like wood, stone, clay, etc? So in the third round, if no one pick up the food, there would be three food accumulated.
Yes. Any space with the red arrow accumulates every round, and is only emptied when a player takes that action space.
jcgonzmo wrote:
2) To use a MINOR IMPROVEMENT card, do you need to land on the minor improvement box or can you use it whenever you want?
Only when you take an action space that lets you play a Minor Improvement. I misread the question. You can use a Minor Improvement that you have already played at any time.
jcgonzmo wrote:
3) To use an OCCUPATION card do you need to land on the minor occupation box or can you use it whenever you want?
Only when you take an action space that lets you play an Occupation. I misread the question. You can use the ability of an Occupation that you have already played at any time.
jcgonzmo wrote:
4) Do OCCUPATION and MINOR IMPROVEMENT card last the whole game, or only ONE turn, or ONE stage?
The whole game.
jcgonzmo wrote:
5)you get 7 minor improvement cards at the beginning. However, can you still pull minor improvement cards during the game? Or can you only use the 7 cards you got at the beginning (plus any other card any friend had to pass)
You only get the cards you are dealt at the beginning of the game.
jcgonzmo wrote:
5) I bought the Fireplace then I upgraded it. When the harvest phase came, after the end of the final round of the stage. I would just grab one carrot and convert it to three food. Is that ok, or should I have done it before the harvest phase? Should I have landed in a major improvement box to be able to use it?
Once you have a Fireplace or Cooking Hearth, you can convert vegetables to food at any time (including when you take them from the board). Once you have one of those improvements, you can convert animals to food at any time (including when you take them from the board) EXCEPT during the Breeding Phase of a Harvest.
jcgonzmo wrote:
6) Can you use MAJOR IMPROVEMENTS whenever you want, or do you have to land in a MAJOR IMPROVEMENT box?
Only when you take an action space that lets you play a Major Improvement. I misread the question. You can use a Major Improvement that you have already played at any time.
jcgonzmo wrote:
7) I also had a card that said that if I had 5 sheep I will get 2 good. So in the harvest phase I will just turn carrot to 3 food, and get 2 food because of the sheep. Is that right?
Yes, that is correct.
jcgonzmo wrote:
8) At the end of the phase if I have two animals, they have a baby animal. Does the baby animal stay in the same square as them (making three in one square. I know the maximum is two) or do you need to have another fenced square?
A baby animal does not need to be in the same pasture as either or both of its parents. However, you must have room for the baby and both of its parents, or else the baby runs away; you cannot immediately convert the baby or either of its parents into food.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jcgonzmo 84
msg tools
Thanks man! Actually the part you scribble in your answer was part of the question. You help me A LOT! I only have three more questions left.
A) I have 7 minor improvement cards. Here is how I use one of them:
1) Land on a minor improvement pace
2) This will let me select the card
3) I can now use that card whenever I want during the game.
4) If I want to use another card, I have to repeat the process.

B)I have the cooking hearth. I can
1) Grab from my supply room to convert to food
2) or grab from the field one vegetable and/or one corn if I have them planted. They do not necessarily have to be in the supply room to be converted into food
3) Animals can be converted to food any time, except during the harvest phase.

C) Does using a MAJOR IMPROVEMENT CARD, MINOR IMPROVEMENT takes a turn or it can be used any time? For example, I am going to convert one carrot into three food during a round. I need to put my piece on top of the card, or i use any time apart from my normal moves?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jcgonzmo wrote:
Thanks man! Actually the part you scribble in your answer was part of the question. You help me A LOT! I only have three more questions left.
A) I have 7 minor improvement cards. Here is how I use one of them:
1) Land on a minor improvement pace
2) This will let me select the card
3) I can now use that card whenever I want during the game.
4) If I want to use another card, I have to repeat the process.
Correct.

jcgonzmo wrote:
B)I have the cooking hearth. I can
1) Grab from my supply room to convert to food
2) or grab from the field one vegetable and/or one corn if I have them planted. They do not necessarily have to be in the supply room to be converted into food
3) Animals can be converted to food any time, except during the harvest phase.
1 and 3 are correct. 2 is NOT. You can only convert grain or vegetables that you have in your supply into food, not ones that you have in your fields. Grain and vegetables that are planted in your fields need to be harvested first. (Also remember that you can only convert Grain into Food using the Bake Bread action, since there is no direct Grain->Food conversion on the Fireplace or Cooking Hearth cards. Vegetables, on the other hand, can be converted at any time because there is a direct conversion on the cards.)

However, since the Field Phase of the Harvest occurs before the Feeding Phase, you CAN take a vegetable that you just took from your field (during the Field Phase) and turn it into food (using your FP/CH) to feed to your family during the Feeding Phase of the same Harvest.

(When you take a vegetable from the General Supply using the appropriate action space, it goes directly into your supply, hence you can "immediately" turn it into food if need be. But there's usually no call for that immediacy, since there's no limit to how many vegetables you can hold in your personal supply.)

jcgonzmo wrote:
C) Does using a MAJOR IMPROVEMENT CARD, MINOR IMPROVEMENT takes a turn or it can be used any time? For example, I am going to convert one carrot into three food during a round. I need to put my piece on top of the card, or i use any time apart from my normal moves?
They can be used at any time, it does not take your action to do so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark O'Reilly
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A - yes you are correct, it is an excellent game!.

1) Yes, all spots with a red arrow are accumulative spaces, each round they get added too regardless if the item was taken in the previous round of not.
8 sheep anyone? - I have seen it happen and gladly taken them.

2) playing a minor improvement is an "action" or part of an action. Yes you need to place one of your workers on a spot that allows you to use one of your minor improvement cards. it then stays in play for the game without the need to place a further worker.

Some spots allow you to do something else and afterwards an option of minor improvement also. For example: "Family growth" ( wish for children/the love shack) lets you also play a minor improvement if you can do it.

Remember that not only do you need to place a worker to play the minor improvement card, you may also have to satisfy any requirements at the top left hand side of the card, for example - have 3 occupations already in play AND the card cost in the top right of the card, for example 1 wood.

3) Occupation is like minor improvement above, in that you have to place a worker first on a spot that allows you to play an occupation . One such spot lets you place a worker with no additional cost the first time you wish to play an occupation card, subsequent placement will cost a food in this spot. Other spots cost more - 2 found for example.

4) Once you play a minor improvement, occupation or major improvement, it is put down in front of you next to your farm board and its effects are active the entire game. There are some exceptions, such as the cards with an arrow on, that once played are passed on to the player on your left - they put it into their available cards, but likewise they have to place a worker to play it and pay any costs stated (if any).

5) You get 7 minor improvement and 7 occupation cards at game start. This is your hand for the entire game unless ( like you pointed out) you have a card to pass. There is a few cards from the various decks that allow for a card out the box I think , but I'm going from memory of a few years or so back.

Try "drafting" at game start the occupation and minor improvement cards, once players are more familiar with them.

6) You have to place a worker in a major improvement box to purchase a major improvement card and pay the cost stated on the card.

7) not sure of this card but it sounds like if you have 5 sheep, you get two food at harvest?. If this is correct, then that is what you will get. Paying carrots as food is very uneconomical - you want yo be growing those suckers in fields on your farm and collecting them for end game scoring. Having an oven ( major improvement) and baking bread in it ( grain from a field and taking a bake bread action with your man) can yield you 5 loaves (food) from one grain

8) part of the harvest phase is "breeding". As long as you have ( for example) 2 pigs, they will produce a pig. If you have (for example) 12 pigs, you will still only produce ONE more pig each harvest phase. Same goes for any animal.

You can keep one animal for free in your home ( as a pet )

You can keep one animal on an un-fenced farm space, if you have a stable on it. ( useful for no negative points at game end as it counts as a filled farm yard space)

You can keep 2 animals of the SAME breed in each single fence enclosed pasture - unless there is also a stable in the enclosed pasture - then it is doubled to 4 animals.

A double enclosed pasture can hold 4 animals of the same breed or indeed 8 if there is a stable in it ( you only need one stable per entire closed pasture)

So you could have a fenced around a pasture of 4, with one stable and hold 16 animals of the same breed!.

The "baby" produced at harvest can be placed anywhere you can legally put it.

Hope this helps

Edit: got myself ninja'd 3 times while writing this! ninjaninjaninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jcgonzmo 84
msg tools
Dude you just blew my mind! You answer my questions and actually taught me something that I did not know. The harvest at the end of each round, is divided in three phases:
Harvest Time
1.) Field Phase:
Take 1 marker from each grain and vegetable field
2.) Feeding Phase:
2 Food per Family member
1 Food per newborn Family member
3.) Breeding Phase:
With at least 2 of the same type of animal, add 1 more as long as
there is room

So actually, I can convert one, two, three, etc, animals to food during the FIRST TWO PHASES of harvest time. What I CANT DO is during the phase 3, have two animals, make them have one baby, and then eat one of them. Therefore, leaving two animals like nothing happened. Right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jcgonzmo 84
msg tools
"So you could have a fenced around a pasture of 4, with one stable and hold 16 animals of the same breed!."
I would need 4 stables to be able to hold 4 animals per pasture right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jcgonzmo wrote:
So actually, I can convert any animal to food during the FIRST TWO PHASES of harvest time. What I CANT DO is during the phase 3, have two animals, make them have one baby, and then eat one of them. Therefore, leaving two animals like nothing happened. Right?
That is correct, yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jcgonzmo wrote:
"So you could have a fenced around a pasture of 4, with one stable and hold 16 animals of the same breed!."
No. A single stable doubles the capacity of the entire pasture, not just the square that it's in. So:
A single pasture of 4 spaces with no stables can hold 8 animals of the same type.
A single pasture of 4 spaces with 1 stable can hold 16 animals of the same type.
A single pasture of 4 spaces with 2 stables can hold 32 animals of the same type.
A single pasture of 4 spaces with 3 stables can hold 64 animals of the same type (though why you would need storage for 64 animals of one type is, frankly, beyond me ).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jcgonzmo 84
msg tools
Thanks a lot man! You really helped me!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark O'Reilly
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jcgonzmo wrote:

No you only need the one stable. The stable doubles the animal capacity of EACH pasture in the enclosed fenced area.

Example:
You use 8 fence pieces to enclose 4 pastures (2x2 grid). You place one stable anywhere in this area and you can now hold 16 animals of the same breed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jcgonzmo 84
msg tools
Thanks man!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jcgonzmo 84
msg tools
Guys one more question! I was re reading the answers an was amaze on how clear the game is right now. But there was just one more left.

"Once you have a Fireplace or Cooking Hearth, you can convert vegetables to food at any time (including when you take them from the board). Once you have one of those improvements, you can convert animals to food at any time (including when you take them from the board)"

My question is, even I do not have space for animals, but have a fireplace or CH, can I still collect the animals and make them food? Or do I have to have space to actually put the animals and THEN make them food?
For example, I have a single pasture of ONE square. I have two sheeps there and one sheep in my house. In the board I collect two sheeps, but I do not have space to put them in. So instantly I just convert them to food.

Can I do that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shush Ruth
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jcgonzmo wrote:
Guys one more question! I was re reading the answers an was amaze on how clear the game is right now. But there was just one more left.

"Once you have a Fireplace or Cooking Hearth, you can convert vegetables to food at any time (including when you take them from the board). Once you have one of those improvements, you can convert animals to food at any time (including when you take them from the board)"

My question is, even I do not have space for animals, but have a fireplace or CH, can I still collect the animals and make them food? Or do I have to have space to actually put the animals and THEN make them food?
For example, I have a single pasture of ONE square. I have two sheeps there and one sheep in my house. In the board I collect two sheeps, but I do not have space to put them in. So instantly I just convert them to food.

Can I do that?

Yes. You can collect the animals just to convert them to food. However, note that you cannot breed animals if you don't have space for the newborn. So you CANNOT cook a bred animal until you have put them on your board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jcgonzmo 84
msg tools
Thanks man! Now I am ready for another match!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Parker
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
biffta wrote:
Example:
You use 8 fence pieces to enclose 4 pastures (2x2 grid). You place one stable anywhere in this area and you can now hold 16 animals of the same breed.

Quick clarification to avoid a question of what a "pasture" is. Im sure you meant to say "8 fence pieces to enclose 4 squares (2x2 grid)"
This makes 1 pasture, not 4. If you used 2 more fence pieces to split this 1 pasture in half, it would make 2 pastures covering the 4 squares.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
To the tune of that old Edwin Starr hit...

Rules, huh, yeah
What are they good for
Absolutely nothing
Uh-huh huh
Rules, huh, yeah
What are they good for
Absolutely nothing
Say it again, y'all
Rules, huh,
What are they good for
Absolutely nothing
Listen to me
Ohhh, rules, I despise
Cause it means instruction
For playing the game
Rules mean tears
To thousands of players eyes
When they do something wrong
And lose more points
Ooh, rules, huh
Good God, y'all
What are they good for
Absolutely nothing
Say it again
Rules, whoa,
What are they good for
Absolutely nothing
Listen to me
Rules, they ain't nothing
But a heartbreaker
Friends only to the rules lawyer
Ooooh, rules
They're an enemy to all mankind
The point of rules blows my mind
Rules have caused unrest
Within the younger generation
Instruction then deduction
Who wants to play?

laugh

(No meanness intended; just teasin'...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jcgonzmo 84
msg tools
I played today! Had a blast. A couple of questions did pop out though:
1) How can you have a baby?
2)To renovate your house you have to land "after renovation" square?
3) When you take the SOW action, do you SOW only one field or do you SOW all the fields available?
4) What does the +Number circle in blue in some cards mean. example, +5 , +9

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Wells Kerenza
United Kingdom
Bradford
W Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jcgonzmo wrote:
I played today! Had a blast. A couple of questions did pop out though:
1) How can you have a baby?

Place a worker on the family growth space and have a spare room in your house (so you could house all your workers in a separate room if they all went home at that point). Or go to family growth without room in your house
jcgonzmo wrote:
2)To renovate your house you have to land "after renovation" square?

Correct there are two renovation spaces, one lets you play a major improvement after and the other build fences
jcgonzmo wrote:
3) When you take the SOW action, do you SOW only one field or do you SOW all the fields available?

You can sow as many as you are able and want too. You can only sow zero fields if you are baking bread instead.
jcgonzmo wrote:

??? I have no idea. A picture might help. Is this something on the new game, in which case some of the spaces mentioned above might be named slightly different (wish for children?). It could indicate a number of rounds but without some context I'm at a loss.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Parker
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
jcgonzmo wrote:

Not sure... if you mean square instead of circle, and 1+, 3+ or 4+, you could be talking about the player count to use those occupation cards. If you are doing a 3 player game, dont use the 4+ cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jcgonzmo 84
msg tools
When I SOW y put one vegetable or one grain from my supply and then I put one or two respectively on top. However, what if I have left one vegetable or corn already on the field? Do I still put one or two on top, or do the originals have to come from the supply room?Meaning that I have to wait for the field to be empty to be able to SOW again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jcgonzmo 84
msg tools

The +number actually the number+ on the left of eact card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Parker
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
jcgonzmo wrote:
When I SOW y put one vegetable or one grain from my supply and then I put one or two respectively on top. However, what if I have left one vegetable or corn already on the field? Do I still put one or two on top, or do the originals have to come from the supply room?Meaning that I have to wait for the field to be empty to be able to SOW again.

You can only sow an empty field, unless you have a card that says otherwise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jcgonzmo wrote:

Yes, that's the player count the card is used for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
jcgonzmo wrote:

That's the minimum player count for using that card. In the example you gave, the Occupation on the left (Chamberlain) can be used with one or more players (i.e. any game), while the one on the right (Taster) is only meant to be used with four or more players in the game.

Edit: ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.