Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Filip Laeveren
Belgium
Heist-op-den-Berg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi negotiators all over the world.

I recently bought this game because I went on a holiday.

Each evening, when my kids were in bed, I put this game on the table.

I love the game, but after a few games, I had find out that my tactics in the base game were very similar. When I used this tactics, I won almost every game (at least 3 out of 4).

This is how I play:

1. I start with Keep Cool (x2). If succesful, that is nice, but if not, no problem because conversation continues.

Objective of playing keep cool is of course getting 3 dice. Bonus is that some terror cards (don't test me, I see what you are) are good when threat level is low.

2. Then I continue with What our your demands, also twice, exception with Edward Quinn. There are too many terror cards that increases the threat level, so it is neccessary to know what the demands are.

3. I finish with Small Talk. If succesful, I play it twice, otherwise conversation ends. So it happens often that after the first turn, I have no cards left, or sometimes only 1 card, so I often draw 2 consecutive terror cards.

4.If I am able to purchase cards, I will buy Always threat lowering cards: Just stay calm and when I already have 3 dice, A bold lie.

Also I purchase whenever possible "What I meant was".

5. Next turn when I can play cards again (turn 3) again starting with Keep cool, If any unrevealed demands what are your demands, then the other threat lowering cards to finish wit Small talk.

Objective from turn 3 is to extract hostages by lowering the threat level beneath S.

At this point cards can be used when rolling a 4 to convert it into success (main candidates are what are your demands). If not, I use these cards to increase conversation points by discarding them.

If available conversation points, I use them again to purchase just stay calm or a bold lie. Excellent cards with 3 dice.

In turn 5, again, keep cool twice.

I never purchase you need to trust me.

Just a few more minutes is a card that I only take when negotiating with Edward Quinn when I want to concede his major demand.

Minor extraction is a card you need to go for when there are only a few hostages left.

I almost never purchase an empty promise. I did it once against Edward Quinn.

I am coming in to talk is a very nice card against Donna. This will increase the possibility of saving or killing a hostage. Very nice if you can combine it with a bold lie.

I almost never purchase a major extraction.

Almost all my wins (over 90%) are coming from surrendering (extracting an extra hostage), so the hostage taker never gets killed. Therefore Sniper take the shot and all units get in there now are almost never purchased.

This conclusion is based on playing more then 20 games (I will not count my first games when I was learning the game).

I really love the game, but my way of playing is very similar each game. Only in extreme situations, I must change tactics.

Maybe other players can confirm this playstyle?

Are the expansions more challenging?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Martins
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very similar to my typical play style for the base game abductors and my record is similar.

The abductor packs are much more challenging... Especially those coming with the new crime wave expansion. One abductor pack doesn't allow you to save abductors by reducing the threat level below S, and another can have you lose conversation cards. All of this to force the player to switch up their game style and try different approaches to win... It's quite interesting, and rewarding to beat the more challenging abductors from the abductor packs... Strongly suggest getting them if you're enjoying the game.

There's still some time left in the Crime Wave kickstarter if you want to get all the newer content.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xenothon Stelnicki
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Similar to my default, too, but I use a lot more cards for points. I truly am horrible with dice, so the expected ratios almost never work in my favor. I also almost never roll anything that would give me CP if I'm already negative. I'll take my free reset and play the other cards the following round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Ft. Lauderdale
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Avalon18A wrote:

Almost all my wins (over 90%) are coming from surrendering (extracting an extra hostage), so the hostage taker never gets killed. Therefore Sniper take the shot and all units get in there now are almost never purchased.

This is true for me as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd recommend have a read of this blog post by Morten Pedersen who has designed one of the abductor packs for the new game. In it he talks about trying to mess with the dominant strategies and turn the game on its head a bit.

I'm really excited about these because I think, as with most games, the dominant strategy can become apparent after a number of plays.

https://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/56779/cult-automa-how-the...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Greenwood
United States
White Bear Lake
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good review. I'd have to say I found out virtually the same thing when playing the base game. I can almost always bring the abductor in alive with no or minimal hostage loss. I can think of only one time each that I used the "Sniper.." or "All Units..." cards.

Even after a couple of dozen plays with high a win ratio, it is still a pretty enjoyable solo game of dice mitigation and tactical card play.

The extra abductor packs give more challenge. Well, at least the first two. I haven't played packs 3 of 4 yet. About to start pack 3. Pick the extra packs up and keep it going.

However, I have little desire to get the new "Crime Wave" version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.