Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Manning
United States
Bay City
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Even if you tried, it wouldn't be any fun. The fun comes in the bargaining with one or more people against another, bribing and playing others for fools- maybe more so than the arena. I've played it a lot and wouldn't even consider this with two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Harrow
msg tools
mbmbmb
I agree. Trying to play this with two players would defeat most of the mechanics that make it an interesting game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L VonMeister
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, there's a lot of negotiation and underhanded stuff to be done that just won't be realized in a two-player game. 3 players will work, but this game is best with 4+ for lots of shenanigans and backstabbing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
VonMeister wrote:
3 players will work, but this game is best with 4+ for lots of shenanigans and backstabbing.

I've played this game over a half-dozen times and the difference between 3 and 4 players is quite noticeable. While you can technically play it with three, I do not enjoy it unless there's four.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
No purpose to playing this with 2 when there are tons more games that are better with that player count.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I played it with two players once by letting each player control two Houses as allies but it was not much fun. It was just done as a learning exercise really.

I might have a go at designing some rules for "Automatic Houses" one day but it would be quite hard to do. I would treat their Influence Card Hand as being just a virtual number of cards, tracked with a die. Players would bid gold for the right to play a card for the House in each phase that cards could be played, with the winner of the bid paying the House that amount of gold. They would then draw a number of cards from the deck to see if any were eligible to be played, and play the first eligible card on whoever they liked. Once played, the die tracking that House's hand size would be turned to a side that was one lower.

[EDIT] Come to think of it, a better way might be to draw cards first for the Automatic House and then if one was eligible to be played, bid for who got to use it. That way any card that benefited just the Automatic House would be played on that House as normal. If a card could target another House and the player's tied in their bid to use it, then you could roll a die to pick a random target.

It should be possible to figure out some pretty decent rules to get the Automatic House to participate somewhat randomly in each phase of the game but it might not be worth the effort. Better to just find some more players!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.