7 Posts

The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Another new player alert: Theodred question... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Trevor Mendez
msg tools
Hi folks,

Another new-comer to this great game. I'm really enjoying my first steps into this epic. Still wandering about in Mirkwood learning the ropes.

Most questions I have been able to find answers to here. Probably down to less than one google search per phase now!

I think I know the answer but thought I'd throw it out to the experts....

After planning phase, Theodred has no resources.

I commit Theodred to a quest and give him the resource.

Can I immediately use Theodred's new resource to use sneak attack and bring a player from my hand, for example Eomund, and then add his willpower to the quest in that phase?

Basically, can all of the above happen in the 'commit characters to quest' part of the phase.

I hope that makes sense.

Thanks.

Trevor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hansen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, this wouldn't work. You have to commit all of your character to the quest at the same time, so by the time you use Sneak Attack it would be too late to commit that character to the quest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Mendez
msg tools

Thanks Jim. That is what I suspected but I kind of convinced myself that it might work.

Commit Eowyn (as always), commit Thoedred (and do all of the above bringing Eomund into play), commit Eomund.

I thought it was probably stretching it but the 'commit characters to quest' section in the Turn Sequence rules is green, which I though might mean I could use actions as described.

Paul.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie M.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TrevorMendez wrote:

Thanks Jim. That is what I suspected but I kind of convinced myself that it might work.

Commit Eowyn (as always), commit Thoedred (and do all of the above bringing Eomund into play), commit Eomund.

I thought it was probably stretching it but the 'commit characters to quest' section in the Turn Sequence rules is green, which I though might mean I could use actions as described.

Paul.

As a new player you will soon notice that when faced with a rule question, the correct answer is always whatever makes it harder for the player. That's the golden rule for LotR.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Dockery
msg tools
mb
That said, note the important Action window between staging and determining quest results. It's too late to commit characters, but you could still Sneak Attack Faramir and use his action to boost your total Willpower, or Sneak Attack Son of Arnor to engage an enemy and reduce the total Threat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Stephenson
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can also sneak attack Gandalf and use his direct damage to kill an enemy in the staging area.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Mendez
msg tools
Thanks all for the advice and tips.

There are quite a lot of strategies and actions that I'm gradually learning.

I'm actually amazed at the amount of players, the friendly community and willingness to help out. Says quite a bit for the game and the people that play it!

Thanks again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.