Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Federico Abella
Uruguay
Montevideo
Montevideo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played my first game of Scythe the other day, and something struck me as odd. The rulebook makes a point of the players taking their turn when the previous player is taking their bottom action, since bottom action rarely have interaction. And this is something that's been used as well to show how fast the game plays. And it does play fast, and the fact that the move action is a top action certainly helps.

So why is the double move action a bottom action on Factory Cards? That seems to me to go against the spirit of making the game faster by allowing some part of turns to overlap.

Does anyone know if there is some design reason behind this? Given the great attention to detail that Jaime is known for, I'm sure there must be a reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Federico: Sure, it's there for a reason. And I should clarify up front that when another player is using a Factory card for their action, the next player should not proceed to take their turn.

The reason for it is that it can often be better for a player to take an action before moving. That's the advantage the Factory cards provide--many of them do things that will improve your situation before you move (like making a mech or adding power).

Also, we didn't want players to confuse the bottom-row action on the Factory card with other bottom row actions (specifically in reference to recruit bonuses). Granted, players confuse this anyway, but if we had put more standard bottom-row actions on the Factory card, it would have been intuitive for them to trigger recruit bonuses. So we did the opposite--we put them at the top of the card, where it would not be intuitive to trigger such bonuses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Federico Abella
Uruguay
Montevideo
Montevideo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great! Thanks for the explanation. It's nice to get a small insight into what the purpose of some design decisions are.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.