Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron Hall
United States
Murfreesboro
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So a lot of the more negative comments that I've seen are related to the recommendation that the same group of people play the entire campaign. I know the rules contemplate (1) adding a player when there is an unused Province, (2) permanently removing a player, and (3) playing a game with a player temporarily absent.

For those who have played a few times, is there any reason that you couldn't have a core group of three players, for instance, and a handful of other folks who swap out for the two other provinces?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
59 4 76(!!) 14 7 52
badge
mbmbmb
It's difficult to imagine how anything mechanical about the game could possibly render this a non-option.

However, the designers been clear that this game is specifically intended for a permanent player-province relationship.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Pishnery
United States
Lakewood
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
lomn wrote:
It's difficult to imagine how anything mechanical about the game could possibly render this a non-option.

However, the designers been clear that this game is specifically intended for a permanent player-province relationship.

I think it's more that the experience will be better the more someone is invested in their province. As well benefiting from the shared continuity of the story points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
In service to the Imperium of Man
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am reminded of my friend's experience when he participated in a demo of the Pathfinder Adventure Card Game with rotating players. He said that he was frustrated to be playing a character that several other people had controlled before him, since they had made decisions and chosen upgrades that he didn't agree with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ElAdoranSureshot wrote:
I am reminded of my friend's experience when he participated in a demo of the Pathfinder Adventure Card Game with rotating players. He said that he was frustrated to be playing a character that several other people had controlled before him, since they had made decisions and chosen upgrades that he didn't agree with.

Basically this, in my view. I think you should be able to swap out players with no mechanical difficulty, but the new player would be stuck with choices made by previous players. Not necessarily bad, but less of a feeling of being in control, maybe?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Robb
United States
Calais
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

it's not the mechanics of changing players
it's the rules

say a brand new player jumps in about the 7th game in ......

they have to learn the base game PLUS all the changes and rules that have been done in the first 6 games - the layer of detail might be overwhelming

if a player misses one game, they should be able to catch up on any rules/new systems quickly

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
Montenegro
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think having new players jump in to another players province will create a big problem with the enmity. If you are only playing that province for a game or 2, then the downside of leaving a bunch of permanent enmity is removed. They won't care, because they won't be around. It really allows a player to make it harder for players that follow after, just to make it easier to win this game. I think that is one of the big themes of this game. Do you make a decision that helps you this game, but hurts you in the games that follow, or do you make it harder on yourself this game, but make it easier farther down the road.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Haag
United States
Hamburg
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
rawlinsusmc wrote:
If you are only playing that province for a game or 2, then the downside of leaving a bunch of permanent enmity is removed. They won't care, because they won't be around. It really allows a player to make it harder for players that follow after, just to make it easier to win this game.

I didn't even think of that aspect of it, but you're absolutely correct. I can totally see someone destroying the ability of anyone else being able to play a province well in the future for immediate gain, if they're only playing the one game and not the whole campaign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EdHaag wrote:
rawlinsusmc wrote:
If you are only playing that province for a game or 2, then the downside of leaving a bunch of permanent enmity is removed. They won't care, because they won't be around. It really allows a player to make it harder for players that follow after, just to make it easier to win this game.

I didn't even think of that aspect of it, but you're absolutely correct. I can totally see someone destroying the ability of anyone else being able to play a province well in the future for immediate gain, if they're only playing the one game and not the whole campaign.

This might be less so if there were several people who were trading off, and actively trying to play the position well because they were going to be returning in another couple of games. But it is still an unfortunate possibility.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Hall
United States
Murfreesboro
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the input. I'm going to try to get a group of 4-5 together to play through, but I'm just worried about some folks flaking out after a few sessions. If I can't get more than 3, I think I'll invite others to drop in, but I'll make sure they know the consequences.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Doupe
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played through Risk: Legacy with the same group of players, and I expect to do the same with SeaFall. I pretty much regard these games as a kind of roleplaying campaign, and I manage to play six or eight month campaigns of D&D with the same players. I would hate to see the persistent legacy model watered down with mechanics to support players leaving and joining.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Waterman
United States
Commerce Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in the eighth game of Risk Legacy. At the outset, we established five regular players who would be Commanders. (In other words, they would commit to gathering several times in one year just to play thiis game.) Then we put out a call for Admirals and Generals to work with each of the commanders. If a commander couldn't make a session inwhich at least three other commanders COULD, they sent one of their Admiral/Generals to fill in fore them and pass a report back. We also attempted to publish a mailing list of the results of each gameto the whole group of Commanders and teammembers. So far, that's working pretty well, and I imagine I'll do the same thing with Seafall.

YMMV of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.