RuneWars: Miniatures Game» Forums » News

Subject: FFG's upcoming RuneWars game (2017) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Atanasije Stojkovic
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I've heard the news fear came to mind as I thought this means a remake might be coming up.

It's good the game will be radically different in comparison.

What bothers me is how nobody seems to actually know about RuneWars. Even in the presentation video there's literally no mention of Runewars; they just noted that if the players heard of Runebound, Descent and BattleLore, this is the same universe. It really seems like the guy didn't even know there was a Runewars game prior to the forthcoming one.

Additionally, the very fact that they're about to release a new game under the Runewars title makes me think we should definitely expect no more development for the (old) Runewars. This may be also an indication FFG might be pulling the plug altogether on this one not so long in the future, as the Runewars reprints are coming just before the new game.

Additionally, and especially due to the fact that it seems to have more similarity gameplay-wise to BattleLore than Runewars itself, do you think that RuneWars: The Miniature Game might have got something to do with the slowing down pace of the BL expansions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Hanna
United States
New Smyrna Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If it's anything like BL2 streamlining BL1, it will be a disappointment. I've shelved BL2. No offence to BL2 fans but the more effort I put into the game, the more disappointed I felt. Not enough depth in comparison to BL1.

This RW mini announcement is also disappointing as it points to no more expansions for RW, I agree.

FFG makes business decisions for profit. RW does not fit the market profile of less complicated, streamlined games requiring less product support from their designers. MY take on it, for what it's worth. Plus these sorts of games are easier to port to an iPad type of game (as was BL2).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a tabletop miniatures game like Warhammer Fantasy Battles.

It has it's own forum. It's not connected to the boardgame except fo setting and theme. Although i could see the possiblity of using the tabletop game to play out key battles created by a game of Runewars. That would be epic.

I wouldn't mind seeing dwarves and orcs for Runewars. Maybe someday....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is a bit disappointing that they didn't mention Runewars (no capital W for the boardgame) when announcing RuneWars (capital W for the miniatures game). However, I can't really fault them. It would be confusing for those who hadn't heard of the board game and those who had heard of it would instantly recognize it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cracky wrote:
This is a tabletop miniatures game like Warhammer Fantasy Battles.

It has it's own forum. It's not connected to the boardgame except fo setting and theme. Although i could see the possiblity of using the tabletop game to play out key battles created by a game of Runewars. That would be epic.

I wouldn't mind seeing dwarves and orcs for Runewars. Maybe someday....

That's really what keep all these Terronith set games from being more interesting.

FFG never gets around to fully fleshing them out before it's time to redo them or they move on to something else.

It's always the same couple of armies when they have so much variety to go for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M N
Canada
Truro
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The expected upcoming Terrinoth worlds book should flesh out a lot of stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristijan Petrovski
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think making a miniatures game with rank and file formations was a good decision by FFG, after GW lost a lot of fans with Age of Sigmar. I want to give this new game a try!!

The issue is FFG does seem to love ditching their older games, even though there is still activity... Dungeonquest isn't even listed in the Terrinoth Universe, Kingsburg had to get reprinted by another publisher... and those are the two that come to mind. If the miniatures game takes over the board game, then that will make three.

I hope they continue to support all of them. I loved the fact that the Terrinoth games would come with cards making heroes compatible in the other games, you could use dungeonquest with descent, descent with runewars, runewars with runebound, it was awesome. It made me feel like they were all part of a grand story.

I guess the $$$ isn't in cross compatibility...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
it is also possible the release of the miniatures game may signal a new edition of the original runewars. if i wanted a system like the old warhammer fantasy/mighty empires, i would start with the miniatures game and get a good selection of units and armies and lay the board game/campaign system over the top of it. of course if that were true we wouldnt see it for at least 2 years i would expect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They already have that with Battlore 2nd. The units pretty much match up from that to Runewars and you could use it as a campaign system to generate the battles.

It will take a bit for the minis game to catch up to where Battlelore is right now.

If FFG ever release the elves and three more packs of neutrals, then Batlelore and Runewars strategy will have parity in army composition.

My hope is that Runewars minis is all scenario and story driven, because Battlore really lacks any kind of a narrative using it's scenario card system.

That's one area that would make this minis game much more appealing, to me at least.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Lomas
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
DegenerateElite wrote:
They already have that with Battlore 2nd. The units pretty much match up from that to Runewars and you could use it as a campaign system to generate the battles.

It will take a bit for the minis game to catch up to where Battlelore is right now.

If FFG ever release the elves and three more packs of neutrals, then Batlelore and Runewars strategy will have parity in army composition.

My hope is that Runewars minis is all scenario and story driven, because Battlore really lacks any kind of a narrative using it's scenario card system.

That's one area that would make this minis game much more appealing, to me at least.

The elves (Latari) will come out with the release of Runewars, so it'll be ahead of Battlelore.

One of the Daqan heroes has an ability that lets them use a Latari unit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We hope.

Would be weird to push a couple new mini sets at once.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well... what's wierd to me about this is that all we have is a $100 starter box to a game that doesn't exist.

We got 16 Daqan spearmen, 4 knights, a golem and a leader vs a waiquar faction of skeletons, a thing riding a worm and a leader with antlers.

That's it.

I'd like to see a commitment from FFG now that all six factions are on the way and that within 24 months, this is a full blown tabletop game.

This game isn't going to be a hit like X-wing, but if FFG makes a commitment to really roll out expansions and all the factions, it could get popular. If they just come out with a few expansions here and there and they don't really develope a wide variety of choices for they players (like Warhammer had) it could fizzle out.

Now I'm thinking FFG has shot themselves in the foot not paying more attention to Battlelore and Runewars, their track record expanding those games isn't too good. Other tabletop titles of theirs have fizzled out entirely.

I do like some of the concepts I'm seeing with this game however... i think I'd get it for like $75 from Amazon... hmmm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M N
Canada
Truro
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We have already seen the expansions with heroes and musicians and bannermen. And we know the Elves are already planned too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree.

FFG needs to release, not just the starter but boxes of units from the starter and boxes of additional troop types for the first two armies before I even consider a purchase.

Not worth it to try out the game and then wait for months to expand it beyond, what looks to be, a very limited group of initial models.

Even X-Wing had a full line of the most important ships ready to go at launch, so even if it never got anymore, at least the core of Star Wars dogfighting was covered.

They need more unit types before they bother with more armies.

I won't even consider getting it for painting without playing enough to know if it's worth the effort.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DegenerateElite wrote:

FFG needs to release, not just the starter but boxes of units from the starter and boxes of additional troop types for the first two armies before I even consider a purchase.

Not worth it to try out the game and then wait for months to expand it beyond, what looks to be, a very limited group of initial models.

Even X-Wing had a full line of the most important ships ready to go at launch, so even if it never got anymore, at least the core of Star Wars dogfighting was covered.

I won't even consider getting it for painting without playing enough to know if it's worth the effort.

i agree i got into this trap with forbidden stars, i bought the game expecting tons of expansion possibilities and now nothing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
More importantly, FFG seems to earn its stock in trade with franchised products - primarily Star Wars and Warhammer. While they have had success with the Runewars universe, this seems to be primarily driven by good gameplay and excellent production values rather than a rich, well-developed world-verse. None of the Runewars products seem to be as popular as the franchised products. Of course, I could be wrong - I know many of their Runewars games have been very successful, I don't think they have been Armada/X-Wing/Warhammer successful.

But launching what they imply is a grand entry into the world of fantasy tabletop miniatures gaming (without saying so), they should be releasing two "full" sets of factions with a starter box, not just a starter box with a few additional prototypes. At least an archer, infantry, cavalry, and leader option for each faction, with separate individual products for purchase of each type. As well as a starter box.

I hope the franchise is successful. After an initial swoon over the hype, I am holding off to see how well they support this new line. FFG has a penchant for abandoning products and moving on; while I don't expect them to support every line they have ever produced, an announcement that "X product will no longer be supported/expanded" would be greatly helpful in guiding my purchasing options and would make me less gunshy about getting into yet another multi-hundred-dollar game system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the biggest issue with their Terronith setting is that every game released fro it gets the same heroes, monsters, and troops restated for the new rules.

It always seems like the same guys over and over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DegenerateElite wrote:
I think the biggest issue with their Terronith setting is that every game released fro it gets the same heroes, monsters, and troops restated for the new rules.

That's the part I like the best about their games. It really ties the games together. And most games do have some different units/characters, even if the core ones are the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Idaho
United States
NYC
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Budgernaut wrote:
DegenerateElite wrote:

That's the part I like the best about their games. It really ties the games together. And most games do have some different units/characters, even if the core ones are the same.

If you want to build a living world, though, this myopic view prevents it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Klaxas wrote:
DegenerateElite wrote:

i agree i got into this trap with forbidden stars, i bought the game expecting tons of expansion possibilities and now nothing.

I haven't played FS yet, but it looks good. I'd be more tempted to get FS than RW Minis because at least it's a complete boardgame. I'd like to see more faction's for Runewars, but at least it's a complete boardgame (and a damn good boardgame) But I dig what you're saying. WH 40k is a very detailed world just begging to be expanded and explored.

But again.... If everyone waits for two years to see if RW Minis really turns into something good, it's gonna tank methinks. I hope not... but tabletop games are a little different than boardgames, they need showered with attention.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M N
Canada
Truro
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Forbidden stars lack of expansions is likely another casualty of the GW license issues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe this new minis game is FFG trying to assert their own brand names.

The reliance on licensing for almost all of their top games has to be internally examined if the rumors of the GW split are true.

They don't have much to fear with Game of Thrones, but the potential of that series to make games has always been rather limited, especially now that the TV show is almost done.

Netrunner is probably safe, as most of Android is their setting.

Star Wars...who knows. It seems really odd that they haven't capitalized on the new films with much of anything. Supposedly all those rights are with Hasbro. I don't really see many more Star Wars Trilogy games coming out from them, since they seem to have almost every base covered right now. Clone Wars would seem a natural for a strategic game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DegenerateElite wrote:
Maybe this new minis game is FFG trying to assert their own brand names.

The reliance on licensing for almost all of their top games has to be internally examined if the rumors of the GW split are true.

They don't have much to fear with Game of Thrones, but the potential of that series to make games has always been rather limited, especially now that the TV show is almost done.

Netrunner is probably safe, as most of Android is their setting.

Star Wars...who knows. It seems really odd that they haven't capitalized on the new films with much of anything. Supposedly all those rights are with Hasbro. I don't really see many more Star Wars Trilogy games coming out from them, since they seem to have almost every base covered right now. Clone Wars would seem a natural for a strategic game.

star wars destiny features characters from the new movie.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, one game.

And it is decidedly not a board or miniatures game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Simpson
United States
Elkridge
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The gentleman in charge of development for Rune Wars was at the Nova Open. Pretty sure he made comments about the future... There was a couple of interviews that he did... so they must show up on the internet soon. I think that defend the table did a video of a playthrough... maybe something was said there.

One of the character cards referenced an elf group... that was not in the demo. So... that leads you to believe something is coming.

This is going to get support... and I would assume quite a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.