Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
M. Kidder
United States
Waxhaw
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know this game is probably dead in terms of new content and at least one of the expansions seems to be semi-permanently out of print, but this game has been on my wish list for a long time. MassDrop has a deal going right now for the base game, Light vs. Dark, Quarmageddon, Quest of the Qladiator, and Quartifacts for a bit less than most OLGS.

Are all of these expansions worth it? If I take advantage of this deal, will set up be hugely annoying? Would I be better off just getting the base game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Surprise
Arizona
flag msg tools
Hobby aquariums are just like board games: except wet, fishy, and you can't play them.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I own them all, and my family still plays this game and enjoys it. If it is a good deal go for it, but integrating all the different mechanics can be a task (I believe there is a unofficial master rules to help with that in one of the game file sections). The minimum I would get is the base game and Quarmageddon, and use the Quarmageddon rules. I personally would also get Quarriors! Rise of the Demons even though it wasn't ever supported and needs to be shuffled special to be playable, but we like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick L
United States
Eagan
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Light vs Dark is pretty meh when added to the rest of it. It is more of a standalone game than anything else.

As for the expansions, each expansion adds some additional complexity and mechanics.

The Rise of the Demons is not included, which is good, because it is terrible.

Personally, while I like Quartifacts, I think it hits that point for me where it is adding too much complexity without enough reward. Quarmageddon and Quest are pretty easy and add a ton of variety.

Setup doesn't change much, you'll just have a bigger pool of dice to try to find the ones you need. The expansion boxes have inserts and you can basically fit everything into 1 box.

Hope that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
So So
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
I see i'm a little late. Only one i've read not so great things about is light vs dark. I have quarmgeddon and quartifacts. There is a LOT of variety with those two expansions to the game. Its a fun game and its actually broad enough you can house rule a lot of things if you choose. Hope you enjoy! The base game is good size, but you will want more variety.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. Kidder
United States
Waxhaw
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the input. I decided against it - I'm going to pick up the base game and Quarmaggedon and see how much I like it before going all in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.