39.3% of Goal | left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
30 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » United States » Southeast

Subject: I'm tired of not having a regular public game night in Midtown Atlanta rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sam Y
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
So I made one.

Check out the "Atlanta Gaming Group" on Facebook at the link below. The first Midtown game night is on Tues Aug 23 at Jason's Deli, and I planning it to be biweekly. (The group has another public game night near Decatur on off-weeks.)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/159872120864708/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SpankyMcPants wrote:
So I made one.

Check out the "Atlanta Gaming Group" on Facebook at the link below. The first Midtown game night is on Tues Aug 23 at Jason's Deli, and I planning it to be biweekly. (The group has another public game night near Decatur on off-weeks.)

Best of luck!

I believe there is one near the west side provision too, but not sure if it's still there or not.

I'm not sure why ITP groups don't thrive the way the OTP groups do, but as a relative newcomer to the Atlanta area (just over three years) I am always amazed by the abject fear and loathing of venturing outside the perimeter exhibited by folks who live ITP.

We made the mistake of enrolling our daughter in a daycare near my wife's work (ITP). After attending every single birthday party of her classmates throughout the year, all but one either no showed on the day of or declined the invite because we hosted our party at a beautiful park just outside the perimeter and it was "too much of a hassle" to make it out. You haven't lived until you've had to explain to a four year old that it's not that the other kids don't like her, it's that their parents are lazy and afraid of an invisible barrier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Galer
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hestiansun wrote:
[q="SpankyMcPants"]So I made one.

I'm not sure why ITP groups don't thrive the way the OTP groups do, but as a relative newcomer to the Atlanta area (just over three years) I am always amazed by the abject fear and loathing of venturing outside the perimeter exhibited by folks who live ITP.

having lived in metro ATL for over 20 years I can guarantee that fear and loathing works both ways, btw.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Wood
United States
Stone Mountain
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome! Thanks for starting this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Hall
United States
McDonough
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will have to join in.

Any gaming groups on the South side of the ATL or even further south past the airport?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
McDonough
Georgia
flag msg tools
mb
Zaltman wrote:
I will have to join in.

Any gaming groups on the South side of the ATL or even further south past the airport?

Yeah for McDonough. There is one that is very close to you actually (Stockbridge). I attend about once a month.

South Metro Atlanta United Gamers (SMAUG)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt S
United States
Sharpsburg
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is also http://www.meetup.com/SAGSociety/ .

We are the other side of the south side in Newnan-Peachtree City area.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mgaler wrote:
hestiansun wrote:

having lived in metro ATL for over 20 years I can guarantee that fear and loathing works both ways, btw.

Sure. It's very strange. We regularly get people from up to 45 min to an hour away at our Peachtree Corners meet up, but no one seems to want to drive 15 min if it crosses the Perimeter (in either direction).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian St. Pierre
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
There is a game group that meets every Monday at Cameli's Little 5 Points and one every Wed at Diesel Pub in highlands.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Hall
United States
McDonough
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the info ... I sent a request to join SMAUG!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
McDonough
Georgia
flag msg tools
mb
Zaltman wrote:
Thanks for the info ... I sent a request to join SMAUG!

Great! They will be playing this Friday. Enjoy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve G.
United States
flag msg tools
mgaler wrote:
hestiansun wrote:

Yeah, the OTP (i.e. North-of-ATL) folks don't want to stray too far from the familiar scenery of the white-flight suburbs, while the ITP'ers don't want to drive off into the boonies. Both are based on flawed-but-not-altogether-baseless perceptions.

Having said that, I'm over to the east in Decatur, and trips to Peachtree Corners, the relocated Well-Played, the Game Fests, Mercer University, and Giga-Bites are all $20< Uber Rides. There are some long highway stretches for those, and I think that might be what folks find problematic, either way.

The meetup Sam started is a very friendly crowd. I was surprised to find folks asking each other their names, and even remembering them. Guess that's the benefit of getting in on the ground floor while a meetup is small and personable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Stokes
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
hestiansun wrote:

Best of luck!

I believe there is one near the west side provision too, but not sure if it's still there or not.

We made the mistake of enrolling our daughter in a daycare near my wife's work (ITP). After attending every single birthday party of her classmates throughout the year, all but one either no showed on the day of or declined the invite because we hosted our party at a beautiful park just outside the perimeter and it was "too much of a hassle" to make it out. You haven't lived until you've had to explain to a four year old that it's not that the other kids don't like her, it's that their parents are lazy and afraid of an invisible barrier.

Not surprising a new resident is confused. ITP/OTP may seem like nonsense now, but is really rooted in some old stuff. Until 15-20 years ago was a pretty stark cultural/racial divide left over from integration & 'white flight' - essentially many white people left metro ATL for OTP (especially N side) during integration & civil rights. Forsyth County (just N of Fulton) had no black people until 1996! GA is a state that is 30% black (double the national average) - so this is quite stark. ITP was integrated and culturally forward but less affluent overall; OTP was much less diverse, culturally very conservative and more affluent.

Though the racial lines have blurred in the last 15-20 years, culturally the shift has not occurred yet. Many born and raised here have 'chosen sides' by where they live and avoid the other area because of various (real or imagined) issues.

People OTP can see ITP as crowded, full of things/people they don't agree with or dangerous (though crime in ATL is low compared to other cities as well as at a low point along its own timeline).

People ITP can see OTP as exclusionary, pretentious or dangerous (in the case of some of my friends whose parents warned them of going out 'to the country' OTP where they might get shot).

Most of it is silliness, especially near the perimeter, as the stark lines aren't there anymore - since 1990 GA has grown 50% (gained 3M people) - a lot has changed. But before the late 90's it was much different, frankly, to the point of being unrecognizable to the more accepting diverse suburbs that are there today.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Stokes
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
SpankyMcPants wrote:
So I made one.

I'm going to try and get me and the missus out for the next Midtown date.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Stokes
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
steveg700 wrote:

Yeah, the OTP (i.e. North-of-ATL) folks don't want to stray too far from the familiar scenery of the white-flight suburbs, while the ITP'ers don't want to drive off into the boonies. Both are based on flawed-but-not-altogether-baseless perceptions.

Having said that, I'm over to the east in Decatur, and trips to Peachtree Corners, the relocated Well-Played, the Game Fests, Mercer University, and Giga-Bites are all $20< Uber Rides. There are some long highway stretches for those, and I think that might be what folks find problematic, either way.

The meetup Sam started is a very friendly crowd. I was surprised to find folks asking each other their names, and even remembering them. Guess that's the benefit of getting in on the ground floor while a meetup is small and personable.

Lots of locations well outside 285 - I'm always surprised no-one has stuck a gaming cafe between GaTech, GaState, Emory & the 4 or 5 other universities downtown. If someone has a desire, and the funding, to do so - I'm a Marketing guy who lives in Midtown
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt S
United States
Sharpsburg
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JackStokesATL wrote:
I'm always surprised no-one has stuck a gaming cafe between GaTech, GaState, Emory & the 4 or 5 other universities downtown. If someone has a desire, and the funding, to do so

This! So much so. As someone who works in Midtown, I guess its just more profitable to build a new condo high-rise or office building instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve G.
United States
flag msg tools
JackStokesATL wrote:
Not surprising a new resident is confused. ITP/OTP may seem like nonsense now, but is really rooted in some old stuff. Until 15-20 years ago was a pretty stark cultural/racial divide left over from integration & 'white flight' - essentially many white people left metro ATL for OTP (especially N side) during integration & civil rights. Forsyth County (just N of Fulton) had no black people until 1996! GA is a state that is 30% black (double the national average) - so this is quite stark. ITP was integrated and culturally forward but less affluent overall; OTP was much less diverse, culturally very conservative and more affluent.

Eloquently explained, Casey. A lot of issues still persist. A lot of the more lucrative jobs are up north. If you're in the tech sector, that's the place to be. Not by coincidence, that's about the point where MARTA terminates. I just recently started searching for IT training facilities, and pretty much all roads lead me to traveling for 30 minutes under ideal conditions. Not fun when you're talking about nine-day-straight boot camps.

Be interesting see how things develop with the big purchase of the Underground Atlanta area and all those surrounding buildings. I do hope it takes off and leads to new job opportunities that were previously hard to find ITP-side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve G.
United States
flag msg tools
JackStokesATL wrote:
steveg700 wrote:

Lots of locations well outside 285 - I'm always surprised no-one has stuck a gaming cafe between GaTech, GaState, Emory & the 4 or 5 other universities downtown. If someone has a desire, and the funding, to do so - I'm a Marketing guy who lives in Midtown

LOL, good point. Then again, perhaps the Jason's Deli meetups (Sam's in midtown and the one near North Lake Mall) are about as good as anything you could hope for from a gaming café. Big places that are grossly apathetic to the presence of gamers hanging around all night not spending money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
United States
Scottdale
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I live ITP, I go to the Peachtree Corners/Norcross meet because it runs on a Saturday. That's pretty much the start and end of the whys and wherefores for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Hardin
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JackStokesATL wrote:
steveg700 wrote:

If you could make a Game Cafe Profitable with the rent price in Midtown, you'd be the best marketing guy on the planet.

Used to be one on 10th over by Firehouse across from Tech. That closed pre-2010 though I believe.

And very good points about ITP vs OTP. Even if the racial divides and other factors previously mentioned were non existent, I still wouldn't travel from Midtown to anywhere outside the perimeter.

I'd have to get in a car. Something I typically don't have to do. Make it 15 minutes or 45 minutes, the very fact I'd have no choice but to drive kills it.

Not having to use a car, living and working in Midtown is the very reason I am HAPPY to pay the inflated prices I do.

And Ive been playing games weekly in midtown for close to 6 years now. There are games here, just not advertised publicly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve G.
United States
flag msg tools
kingarthur1976 wrote:
If you could make a Game Cafe Profitable with the rent price in Midtown, you'd be the best marketing guy on the planet.

Used to be one on 10th over by Firehouse across from Tech. That closed pre-2010 though I believe.

Well, I suppose it would have to be a good café, first and foremost. The gaming aspect is just a bit of a gimmick (a somewhat unnecessary one for the hobby gamer crowd we're concerned with, since we tend to own games we like). And it's only a good gimmick if the establishment's not offering cheap--or worse, free--refills, otherwise that model is just asking people to linger well past the point where they're paying customers. Then again, if there's liquor available, all the better still I'd have to imagine, since customers come in knowing they're paying by the drink.

Quote:
And very good points about ITP vs OTP. Even if the racial divides and other factors previously mentioned were non existent, I still wouldn't travel from Midtown to anywhere outside the perimeter.

I'd have to get in a car. Something I typically don't have to do. Make it 15 minutes or 45 minutes, the very fact I'd have no choice but to drive kills it.

Not having to use a car, living and working in Midtown is the very reason I am HAPPY to pay the inflated prices I do.

Uber and its ilk have certainly been game-changers (no pun intended). I moved here without a car almost twenty years ago. All the people I knew coming in lived and worked up in Gwinnett County. Somebody had to make a twenty-to-thirty-minute trip out of there way to pick me up for our gaming sessions. Considering we usually had 6< players including myself, I always wondered why anyone would think I was worth the trouble. I probably wasn't the only one wondering that.

Quote:
And Ive been playing games weekly in midtown for close to 6 years now. There are games here, just not advertised publicly.

Fat a lot of good that does the rest of us!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy W
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As that rare thing, a native (and a young middle-aged one to boot...), my main objection to OTP is that it is the Platonic ideal of unchecked suburban sprawl of the most soulless, ugly, bourgeois sort imaginable. Gwinnett's zoning laws make Florida's look like the Cape Cod Historical Preservation Society. (What's worse than no zoning laws? Zoning laws that encourage the nightmare of big-box stores crammed next to bloated McMansions crammed next to horrible overpriced chain restaurants, with add-a-freeway whenever some developer whines about traffic.)

It's cheap, and the schools have great test scores. But at what cost?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Alton
United States
Lawrenceville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
VanVeen wrote:
As that rare thing, a native (and a young middle-aged one to boot...), my main objection to OTP is that it is the Platonic ideal of unchecked suburban sprawl of the most soulless, ugly, bourgeois sort imaginable. Gwinnett's zoning laws make Florida's look like the Cape Cod Historical Preservation Society. (What's worse than no zoning laws? Zoning laws that encourage the nightmare of big-box stores crammed next to bloated McMansions crammed next to horrible overpriced chain restaurants, with add-a-freeway whenever some developer whines about traffic.)

It's cheap, and the schools have great test scores. But at what cost?

Now if only somebody would come up with a board game about this ... whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy W
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RA_gamer wrote:

Now if only somebody would come up with a board game about this ... whistle

I could see the reviews already...

"Too unrealistic--ignores everything we know about urban planning"
"Entirely too random; no way to incorporate strategy"
"How can it be so multiplayer solitaire and yet so chaotic and swingy?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve G.
United States
flag msg tools
You almost got Machi Koro there, Try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.