BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Design Queries and Problems

Subject: Best program for making my card game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Carol Martin
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hey guys, I am in the midst of making a card game and I have artwork being completed. I have done a little bit of investigating into some programs that will help me make the cards appear as when I'm finished. I plan on having the manufacturer go over them but want to get a head start and was wondering if someone can refer a program that would help me design the layout of the card. I've looked into Nandeck, and some others, but the problem is I am very technologically challenged and looking for something easier if possible. Do you guys have any recommendations, or am I limited to Photoshop and Adobe? Thanks all!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Somerton
Australia
North Ryde - Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
NINE LITTLE LETTERS
badge
FECK! ARSE! DRINK! GIRLS!
mbmbmbmbmb
I use Inkscape. It is a vector program, so it takes some getting used to, but once you are familiar it is awesome.

It depends on how pretty you want the cards to be.

There's plenty of information here... Game Design & Self-Publishing – A Resource for Game Designers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carol Martin
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Great, thank you for the suggestions and I will follow the link. I'm new to BGG, so thank you for such a quick response!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Somerton
Australia
North Ryde - Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
NINE LITTLE LETTERS
badge
FECK! ARSE! DRINK! GIRLS!
mbmbmbmbmb
Anytime and welcome aboard.

You'll probably get a few more suggestions too - everyone has their own preference.

Don't be afraid to ask questions - most people here are quite friendly and we were all noobs at some point in time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony MR
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The golden rule of thumb?

Manipulating images i.e. Illustrations/photographs of your fire breathing Dragon = Photoshop or similar image manipulation software.

Creating icons, symbols, logos etc... = illustrator or inkscape

Laying Out and bringing these separate elements together onto your actual card canvas = Indesign or Quark Xpress

The reasons for the above = any and every printer will want you to use the industry standard software.

Things like Nandeck look like they are great for casual prototyping etc... But they are not graphic design packages. To make anything look even half as good as anything you see from any game producer you would have to do SO much work in the other software I've mentioned that you might as well just finish it all of in Indesign.

The Adobe suite of software isn't cheap but it can basically be rented on a monthly basis now. Or you could last time i checked.
And no it's not easy to learn desktop publishing, you are capable of learning if you really want to, it's not rocket science if I can do it! But there is an entire industry built around it for a reason.
It really depends if the printer you are using is forgiving or running on a very tight budget or not for your print run. Usually the closer they cut costs the less they are willing to give you a free pass and the more print correct they will want the files supplied to them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carol Martin
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hey Tony,

Thanks for the great information and I agree with what you're saying based on the research I've done. Indesign sounds like the solution to my problem of getting the cards situated, etc., and I plan on using AdMagic as I've been working with them for about a month on some preliminary elements to getting the game published. So I want to use whatever makes this simpler for both me and the manufacturer.

I have checked and you can 'rent' Indesign, it's roughly $20 a month. However, the 'cons' to it, as I read through reviews, is the steep learning curve everyone says. This basically is the problem I have at this point. My learning curve for this may frustrate me to a point where I won't be able to use it. I'm not technically or computer savvy enough. That's just a fact and unless I could dedicate an inordinate amount of time to learning it just won't work with my schedule. So here is my question... Are there any companies that will do this work for me?

I haven't researched this enough and I'm going to after I post this but if you know of anyone or company that does this sort of thing I would appreciate any input. Thanks guys, really appreciate your help, you have no idea!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony MR
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
At its core indesign is very simple. You create a box, place a nice picture in, then create another box and type what you want into it. Then arrange the boxes in a pleasing manner!
Sounds simple, but that's what graphic designers are for!
The other software is way more involved, so yes it's not for the feint hearted.
As with everything nowadays if you want to give it a go, look on YouTube for tutorials.

Or advertise for graphic designer, word of warning tho it won't be cheap.
You could probably find some on here as I've seen lots of illustrators advertising their services so i guess there's designers as well.

You could look locally in your yellow pages, ask around, do you work for a company? Do they use one?
All transactions can be done over the internet now so geographical location isn't that big an issue but it is very handy to be able to sit down and talk to a designer if you can when working with them.
We are an odd bunch but generally we don't bite.

Edited - for swift keyboard nonsense

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Pretoria
Gauteng
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pantyfire wrote:

Speaking of odd... http://www.27bslash6.com/missy.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Santos
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gamesbook wrote:
pantyfire wrote:

Speaking of odd... http://www.27bslash6.com/missy.html

That is some serious bite, poor Shannon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony MR
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Well, when backed into a corner we can be unpredictable.

And never, ever, let a designer anywhere near a photograph of yourself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Morris
Canada
flag msg tools
I use Inkscape for art for cards and to make cards 9-up layouts.

NanDeck is great to set up your cards, especially with a database.

For Desktop Layout I use an open source application called Scribus. I use it for card layouts and setting up rulebooks. Not as powerful as the programs I've used in the past, QuarkXpress or MultiAd Creator, but it gets the job done.

David

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Ryan
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
I have been using Canva (www.canva.com) for prototyping. It's super easy to use and lets you make a lot of cards pretty quickly. I don't think it'd work super well for a final product, but it does save in high quality formats.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.