Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Chua
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys. Just picked up RE and was going through the example of play. Just curious, for all the OCS experts and vets out there, do you have any tips on keeping track of moved units?

In other war games, I tend to rotate my counters but it seems so daunting doing it here due to stacks growing so big and unwieldy.

Anyway, if anyone has any hints, tips or tricks to help a newbie out, I would be much obliged!

Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Lott
United States
FPO
US Armed Forces - Pacific
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chris,

I use little cubes from some of my euro games. I've had problems in the past soloing some of the monster games (Blitzkrieg Legend and Enemy at the Gates). I use different colored ones for Axis and Allies and I also use them for units that are in move or strat mode so I can quickly pick them out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Fresh start Fresh bananas
badge
Ashwin in thoughtful mood
mb

How about tile separators, used in DIY. Very cheap and the right size for counters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Howe
United States
El Sobrante
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi Chris,

I keep it low tech and rotate my stacks as you do in other games. In the majority of my games stack size has not really been an issue for this. The less bits on the board the less clutter and the easier it is to survey the situation. I'd also invest in a nice set of tweezers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G.
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Chris,

I would agree with others that rotating the counters actually works pretty well in this game. I remember that I also worried a lot about this when I first started playing OCS (RE being my first real OCS game). What I found, however, was that once I 'got' the game and started playing my turns more quickly, I could easily remember which units moved and which ones didn't. I guess what I'm trying to say is that you will probably find it to be less of an issue than you think once you get going with the game. It can feel like drinking from a firehose at first with so many details to keep in mind, but that feeling quickly fades, and then the game really starts to shine!

Enjoy!!

David
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonello Salvatucci
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also rotate the counters. It means that you have to rotate the counters that you end up not moving (which might be cumbersome in larger OCS games) but I'm fine with that as it allows me to review and consider what each unit should do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Chua
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys,

Yes, OCS is definitely a mindbender. Having to keep track of Supply whilst trying to determine which units have acted during a phase sure is very daunting.

I will certainly try to power through! Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Over 50 Gamer
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
MEOW!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ashiefan wrote:

How about tile separators, used in DIY. Very cheap and the right size for counters.

Yup, have a big bag of them. Work great. Also laid a bunch on newspaper and lightly spray painted one side red. Now are multi use, depending which side is up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mb
I use tile spacers, too.

I found rotating stacks confusing and really problematic if a stack tips over -- but YMMV.

Try rotating first, and if that doesn't work, pick up a bag of tile counters from Home Depot for like $3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Hansson
Sweden
Bromma
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never had a problem remebering which units I've moved in games.

It is remebering stuff relating to the real world that is the problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
taragalinas wrote:
I've never had a problem remebering which units I've moved in games.

It is remebering stuff relating to the real world that is the problem.

I saw this thread and thought "whats different about this game"? You keep track of moved units the same as in every other game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtis Baer
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Chris,

All experienced OCS players that I've seen play have always rotated their counters as they are moved. In fact I'd be uncomfortable playing with someone who did not do so.

Planning, organization, and discipline are attributes allowing successful OCS play.

CHB
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.