Tesla vs. Edison: War of Currents» Forums » General

Subject: The Bad rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Atanasije Stojkovic
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've considered buying this game; all three reviews are positive, but it has got a fairly low score on BGG.

Please tell me about the bad of this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Brighton
United States
Sammamish
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you tried reading through peoples comments? I only took a quick gander but there were some thoughts as the 'stock-market' being unbalanced. Might be worth a look.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cassill
Australia
Canberra
Australian Capital Territory
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the game and I love it.

The stock market thing could be a problem but I don't play with alpha gamers so it's really not a problem and very enjoyable.

The recent expansion which is released/soon to be released, among other things, seems to fix the stock market for super competitive gamers. I do not have the expansion.

Other than the stock market issue I can't see any other major issues. Player count scales well also.maybe it just hasn't broken through the glass ceiling of popularity?

It's really a fun, beautiful and novel game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Ehlers
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
I love you!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is kind of boring and the cards aren't terribly balanced. Particularly JP Morgan, which, I think, has an official errata...or at least the community agrees on a change. In any case, it's a fairly forgetable race game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hawkeye
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The expansions seemed to have improved it a great deal ...

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1584849/nikola-vs-thoma...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob S.
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The stock market can be prone to manipulation toward the end of the game. (Victory is determined solely by one's stock portfolio which can contribute to that manipulation.) But overall, it is an interesting game on a unique topic, enjoyable to play.

The expansion extends some aspects (such as expanding the kinds of cards used in the game, luminaries [key personnel], among other things) and revises rules for the stock market. It also changes the determination of victory, so that the stock portfolio is no longer the sole determinant. Haven't purchased the expansion yet though I will. Even without it, haven't encountered the manipulation yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Chiu
Canada
Vancouver
B.C.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The biggest complaint I have heard is the stock market aspect of the game. It can be too dominant an aspect in a game about researching technology and claiming projects. My friend also feels that this leads to too much of a kingmaker effect where one player who cannot win can simply tank one person's stock portfolio.

The expansion addresses the dominant stock market factor. I have seen one of the videos and like what they did with the game. I plan to pick it up when it becomes available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Fleming
United Kingdom
Swindon
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Overall I thought the play and production made this a definite above average game. Then at the end of the fifth round all of the other players in the game sold my stock effectively meaning I had zero chance of winning (previously I was second on the stock track).

I won't be rushing to repeat the experience ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benji
Switzerland
Gurmels
FR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IanF wrote:
Overall I thought the play and production made this a definite above average game. Then at the end of the fifth round all of the other players in the game sold my stock effectively meaning I had zero chance of winning (previously I was second on the stock track).

I won't be rushing to repeat the experience ...

Because of how the stockmarket worked, i was not going to touch the base game again with a stick.

But for me, the expansion fortunately fixed the game. While i usually rather dislike earning victory points from various sources, I see that it makes sense here to balance the different aspects of the game (and i find the method of their distribution quite interesting).

While the stock marked stays extremely important, it works very different now, and you really need to push forward and do your best to make your own company succeed. The events are cool and bring even more flavor to the game, the workshops are a great addition and give a feeling of developing your company, the bots are easy to implement and work great.

Give it a chance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.