Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cody Guindon
Canada
Elliot Lake
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Went ahead and bought the game. Few questions, what exactly are the icons for in the top right corner (and spell levels) we don't understand what they mean

when you cast a spell is it discarded?

if I dissolve a weapon with a spell are they both discarded?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Guindon
Canada
Elliot Lake
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OH and what are the traits? for example the armor that gives Wind -3 trait. We don't understand that either

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Inkpen
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Verbalcody wrote:

Went ahead and bought the game. Few questions, what exactly are the icons for in the top right corner (and spell levels) we don't understand what they mean

Most of the time they are used for building your spellbook, not atcually in play. There are a few spells that reference spell levels like Sleep or Disarm.

Verbalcody wrote:

when you cast a spell is it discarded?

Incantations and Attack spells are discarded, the others remain in play - it tells you under each spell type in the rulebook.

Verbalcody wrote:

if I dissolve a weapon with a spell are they both discarded?

Yes.

Verbalcody wrote:

OH and what are the traits? for example the armor that gives Wind -3 trait. We don't understand that either

They are all listed in the back of the rulebook (in this case under 'Element +/-X I think). In this case, Wind Attacks would suffer -3 Attack dice and -3 to the Effect dice against that target.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Guindon
Canada
Elliot Lake
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks so much. is there a limit to the amount of creatures / enchantments in a square

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
Verbalcody wrote:
thanks so much. is there a limit to the amount of creatures in a square

Nope. Pile on the mosh pit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Guindon
Canada
Elliot Lake
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about enchantments?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Guindon
Canada
Elliot Lake
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
whats the difference between removals? one with skull, one without

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Guindon
Canada
Elliot Lake
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
;ast question I think! thanks guys. Can I roll the yellow dice for an attack even if I do no damage with the red dice? can I weaken my opponent even if the attack did 0 damage

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Torsten Winkelsträter
Germany
Freiburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Verbalcody wrote:
How about enchantments?

you can't stack two of the same Enchantment on any object (Creature, Zone,...), not even while they are hidden.

Verbalcody wrote:

the only skull I can think of is the school symbol for the dark school on the upper right, and that is all it says: Its a spell from the dark school.

Verbalcody wrote:
;ast question I think! thanks guys. Can I roll the yellow dice for an attack even if I do no damage with the red dice? can I weaken my opponent even if the attack did 0 damage

yes you can, the effect die is unrelated to how much (if any) damage you scored.

Keep asking questions, the game is really worth the effort to fully get into it! cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
Verbalcody wrote:

Just roll it at the same time as the reds, saves some time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Inkpen
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a skull in the top right for the dark school, and a skull and crossbones on attack bars to indicate damage of the poison type. Neither is to do with removals or discards directly though?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Torsten Winkelsträter
Germany
Freiburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kelanen wrote:
There's a skull in the top right for the dark school, and a skull and crossbones on attack bars to indicate damage of the poison type. Neither is to do with removals or discards directly though?

ah, right. There is the skull close to the removal cost on poison conditions... Which says, that it is a poison condition
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konrad T
Poland
Szczecin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Verbalcody wrote:
It's not removal, but a type of condition marker. Burn is flame condition and object with flame immunity can't have burn token on it, similar with weak - You can't put it on poison immune creature.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Cannon
United States
Annapolis
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Note - the removal cost on condition markers still requires a mage to have the ability or a spell effect in play to allow removal of conditions. I think there are some condition summary play aids in the file section on BGG that include the full list in one location for easy reference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Inkpen
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wtcannonjr wrote:
Note - the removal cost on condition markers still requires a mage to have the ability or a spell effect in play to allow removal of conditions. I think there are some condition summary play aids in the file section on BGG that include the full list in one location for easy reference.

Yes, even if you have the action and the mana, you have to have a condition removal effect - and there are very few of those around...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Guindon
Canada
Elliot Lake
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
great, thanks guys

loving this game so far. My friend is interested in making his own deck. Can you do so with an expansion set or do you need to buy the core set?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Inkpen
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Verbalcody wrote:
great, thanks guys

loving this game so far. My friend is interested in making his own deck. Can you do so with an expansion set or do you need to buy the core set?

You can build a legal deck with just an expansion, but not a good one. Each player needs a core set (or core spell tomes) or access to those cards.

Without core cards you have no Dissolve, Dispel, Teleport, Purge Magic, Bear Strength, Fireball, etc. You have some alternatives, but those are intended to compliment, not replace.

A Warlord would be least affected I think. On the other hand, a Warlord is on the weak side (AT is average at best, and BW the weakest mage in the game) and one of the key reasons is that they struggle getting to use enough of the core cards (mana and spellpointswise).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Kidd
United States
Thomasville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you buy one of the vs expansions (Forcemaster vs Warlord, Druid vs Necromancer, or Paladin vs Siren) then you could. These each come with two premade spellbooks plus plenty of extra cards to customize them. They also each include spells to deal with equipment and enchantment removal, something that spellbooks need. The only staple that they may lack in is positional spells like teleports, which will put you at a slight disadvantage. You can still manage to have a decent and fun casual book though.

The smaller expansions like Conquest of Kumanjaro and Forged in Fire would not be sufficient to make a spellbook. They just don't have the card numbers or focus to accomplish even a half decent book. Battlegrounds and Academy expansions also will not provide you with the things you need to make an Arena spellbook, as they don't even have an Arena legal mage in them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Inkpen
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zub3ri wrote:
If you buy one of the vs expansions (Forcemaster vs Warlord, Druid vs Necromancer, or Paladin vs Siren) then you could. These each come with two premade spellbooks plus plenty of extra cards to customize them. They also each include spells to deal with equipment and enchantment removal, something that spellbooks need. The only staple that they may lack in is positional spells like teleports, which will put you at a slight disadvantage. You can still manage to have a decent and fun casual book though.

It's true it's possible, but they are not good. The VS premade spellbooks all get thrashed by Core premade spellbooks (I played several of these in the last year teaching players before I learnt the mistake). Necromancer is not terrible, but not as good as a core, and ForceMaster lacks core spells but can do without. Warlord and Druid are horrendous however.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.