5 Posts

Stone Age» Forums » Variants

Subject: Shorter game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Spruce
msg tools
mbmb
I was considering reducing the number of huts in a pile to 5 to reduce the length of the game (4-players seems to take a while (especially with new players). Should I take out some of the civilisation cards too or would this mess with the balance of the game too much?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gert Meyer
Denmark
Trekantsområdet
flag msg tools
Skål - Cheers - Gom Bui - Prost - Almien - Salut - Kampai - Na Zdrowie - Gan Bae - Qapla
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe put 2 cards in the 1 resource spot every turn. Should drill through the deck a lot faster while allowing all the scoring opportunities of a full game.

But if you prefer to trim the deck instead, make sure you do it in a balanced way that hits all scoring categories equally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Schaub
Switzerland
Thun
Bern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Optix47 wrote:
Should I take out some of the civilisation cards too or would this mess with the balance of the game too much?

Yes, that's an easy way to reduce the time on the clock. It will mess with the balance of the game to some degree, but reducing play time does that anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris lake
United States
Hewitt
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I think teaching new players "house rules" can be a recipe for disaster. Make sure you inform them of the changes you make and the reason for them.

To add something constructive. how about each player starts the game with 2 wheat fields and 2 tools, that could also speed up some of the early part of the game. You could even handicap yourself by only taking 1 or 0 of each at the start or some such.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flight Record
msg tools
Taking out the civilization cards will surely mess with the balance of game. Its multiplication factor is the ROI of what you did in the game. If you invest more manpower in weapon crafting you can scroll point from them using multiply factor of weapon point in civilization card.

The civilization card give you the hidden point until end of game. Hut give you disclosed point. You can knock out your opponents at the end of game with those hidden point. That is really fun.

My group reduce the number of huts in each pile to 4-5 and also eliminate those huts with face of "1-7 resources" out of the game as well. The hut card give too much point when someone buy it with 5-7 golds (30-42 points). It's too hard to catch up the buyer's point in shorten game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.