Subject: Star Spawn Wings rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Rogalski
United States
Charlton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Just received my copy, woo-hoo! (and the app appears to be fixed)

The wings on my star spawn are badly curled. Anyone else experience this. Does the hot water trick work to fix them?

Also the slot in the figure base is tight in the height dimension. Do you think the hot water trick could work here as well?

I had no problem sliding the tokens in my 1E bases.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Máté Kovács
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mb
For the slot, well, I don't know. Try to modify it with a sharp knife. Or leave it out from the game, it is stupid, and use something smaller for base.

The Star Spawn such huge, that monster doesn't really need a base anyway.

If you want to modify anything on it, you will need a hairdryer and cold water.
Heat up the model with your dryer. It won't melt (up till a really hot point )
Curve the wing how you want.
Then quickly put it into cold water, while you hold the part with your finger.
The figure will stay in that shape now on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
We apologise for the inconvenience
United Kingdom
Outside of the Asylum
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, those wings were most bent parts among all the minis. The usual hot/cold water treatment does work a bit, although they kind of curl back in a bit over time, more than I've found with other minis. Maybe it's the extra-flexible plastic causing it, but I've struggled more than I usually would.

I gave it a few tries, and had the best luck when I held them "unfurled" as I cooled them (not only bent into position, but sort of flatten out the curl in the wing itself too). And just do one wing at a time if you can, makes it easier. They've still curled back in a bit, but much better than they were.

Unfortunately, some of the thinner parts of the minis (shovels held aloft, staff & similar) don't seem to hold whatever I try. They're even bent in FFG's promo pics (I posted it in a similar thread somewhere).

They're not very good minis to be honest. I've seen big tubs of painted rubbery dinosaur toys & similar for a quid or so that were comparable

I haven't put the tokens in yet (want to paint & glue minis first, which may take a while!) But I did clean up any rough patches in the slots & where there was flashing obscuring the "windows" to where the stats will be visible. And I clipped & filed the pegs on the monsters' feet, so they won't tear up the tokens when I do put them in at some point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rogalski
United States
Charlton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Great, never hear of the hair dryer trick, I'll give that a try tonight.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Hall
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
Same issue. I have put in a component issues request with FFG/Asmodee.

My other issue is that the feet will not fit into the base, so I got a 2-for-1 failure with both my star spawns
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L VonMeister
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They will fit on the base - you just have to bend the legs apart to align the pegs to holes. Bad part is, they won't STAY on the base.
I ended up using small screws to hold mine on. One screw each through the front legs and one of the back legs (the right leg).

They stay on just fine now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ParisianDreams
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not really a fan of the minis and bases. They cover up a lot of the artwork on the board, which I do like. So I bagged all mine up in the 1e MoM box with all the stuff not used in 2e and am just using the monster tokens. I ordered these stands for them - Monster Stands

I got enough to put in my MoM box and my EH box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I used hot water to spread the wings out a little more, then dunked it in cold water to re-harden the plastic. Worked just fine.

I did it a little bit to the legs too so they were more lined up with the base.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McLaughlin
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Used hot and cold water on my minis this morning to straighten out everything. All seemed to go fine except for the Star Spawns. Tried to balance out the wings so they were more or less symmetrical and adjusted the front legs so the beastie could sit level for all four feet on the ground.

Seemed to work fine, until I checked them 3 hours later - they had reverted to their original positions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Barkley
United States
Gansevoort
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Me too. I spent an afternoon with the hot water and ice water repositioned every model that had any oddity. Then the next day... back to the way they were.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Máté Kovács
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mb
Try hairdryer. That can heat up the model really. I made some changes with my wings, and the posture of the frog monsters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Reid
msg tools
mbmbmb
I got a reply from FFG on Facebook and the answer is weak when the models are compared to the pics on their website.

"Gently bend them? The wings are actually designed to bend inwards, it's not just a side effect of the packaging."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen Rudis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mb
I have had the same issues, multiple times in hot water. Got them bent and set how I want, then hours later they go back to where they were.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.