Support:

Kyle A
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello BGG!

I am working my way through this game and I have a few questions regarding combat. For all scenarios, assume a generic monster (not immune to anything)

1) I am Ezren and I have no spells nor weapons, and I encounter a monster. Even though I don't have a weapon, I may still roll my strength die (d6) for combat, correct? I am asking because of question number two. Must you have the Melee skill like Kyra, in order to fight without weapons?

2) I am Kyra and I have no spells, nor weapons, and I encounter a monster. Kyra has the Melee skill under the Strength die, giving her +2 to Melee checks. Assuming I may roll my Strength die for combat, is this considered a Melee check meaning I get the +2 bonus? Furthermore, if I had played a blessing adding another die to my check, would it also be a Melee roll, adding the +2 bonus, or just a generic Strength die?

3) Similar to #2, I am Ezren and I encounter a monster. I play a blessing adding one die to my check and a spell like Force missile, calling for my arcane die (d12 +2 bonus) plus 2d4. Since this is an Arcane check using my (d12 +2), the blessing will add another Arcane die (d12 +2), correct?

4) Is force damage from a monster considered combat damage? I know fire damage is not considered combat damage, and that there are cards that specifically say reduce fire damage, but I didn't see similar cards for force damage.

Thanks for reading!

Cheers,

Kyle A.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Boyen
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) When you are not using any card* to change a combat check to another check type, you can replace it with a strength or melee check, as mentioned in the rules. So in most cases, it would indeed be best to replace it with a strength check for Ezren. Nothing prevents you to even use a melee check as Ezren, rolling a d4. In most cases, the d6 for strength is better, but maybe there are cards that can only be played on a melee check.

*: Note that this isn't restricted to weapons or spells, although these are the most common ones. Any card that reads "for your combat check, use ..." can be used to replace combat to another skill type.

2) you can choose between strength or melee, so in most cases, melee is the better choice since you get your +2 bonus. Blessings only add dice, never the bonus, so you can't get the +2 multiple times. It is only your strength die.

3) similar as 2, so only a die is added, not an extra bonus. So in the give case, you roll 2d12 + 2d4 + 2.

4) force damage in itself is not combat damage, which makes it harder to reduce. I think later, there are some armors that can also reduce force damage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Edwards
United States
Bridgewater
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
alexankh wrote:
Hello BGG!

I am working my way through this game and I have a few questions regarding combat. For all scenarios, assume a generic monster (not immune to anything)

1) I am Ezren and I have no spells nor weapons, and I encounter a monster. Even though I don't have a weapon, I may still roll my strength die (d6) for combat, correct? I am asking because of question number two. Must you have the Melee skill like Kyra, in order to fight without weapons?

2) I am Kyra and I have no spells, nor weapons, and I encounter a monster. Kyra has the Melee skill under the Strength die, giving her +2 to Melee checks. Assuming I may roll my Strength die for combat, is this considered a Melee check meaning I get the +2 bonus? Furthermore, if I had played a blessing adding another die to my check, would it also be a Melee roll, adding the +2 bonus, or just a generic Strength die?

3) Similar to #2, I am Ezren and I encounter a monster. I play a blessing adding one die to my check and a spell like Force missile, calling for my arcane die (d12 +2 bonus) plus 2d4. Since this is an Arcane check using my (d12 +2), the blessing will add another Arcane die (d12 +2), correct?

4) Is force damage from a monster considered combat damage? I know fire damage is not considered combat damage, and that there are cards that specifically say reduce fire damage, but I didn't see similar cards for force damage.

Thanks for reading!

Cheers,

Kyle A.

1. Yes, you can always use your Strength or Melee skill in combat, so Strength is a valid option.
2. Yes, you can always use your Strength or Melee skill in combat, so Melee is a valid option, and you get the +2 bonus.
3. No, it will just add the die, so just +d12, not +d12+2.
4. No, if a damage type is specified, it is just that damage type. So you need something that reduces damage without specifying the type.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle A
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks for the quick responses!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Morro Bay
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You have received good answers.

I always recommend A Guide For New Players (to clarify the rules), and especially the Rise of the Runelords Adventure Guide v1.68 to bring out the story and explain the locations and characters you encounter. The latter helped the game come alive for us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle A
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
^ Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.