5,325 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
33.6% of Goal | 27 Days Left

Support:

Brandon Ciantar
Malta
flag msg tools
mb
Poll. Vote only for 1 of them and say why it took your vote over the others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Strobel
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll
Ashes, Summoner Wars, or Mage Wars
Ashes
Summoner Wars
Mage Wars
      47 answers
Poll created by Gstrobe188

Never played Mage Wars, Summoner wars is coming to and end, Ashes is just getting started.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel King
United States
Franklin
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know anything about mage wars, but Ashes and Summoner Wars and pretty different games. They both use cards, but one is essentially a tactical combat game while the other is a deck-building card game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mage Wars could/should be broken down to Academy and Arena. Mage Wars will be heavier than either PHG games. Both PHG games will be quicker to get into. It is ultimately about the depth you are looking for in the games. Academy is sadly lacking in content compared to Ashes and I don't see it catching up. You just have to determine if it as enough. I adore SW and have really enjoyed my few plays of Ashes. I still need to get some plays of Academy in. I didn't see the need for Area since I was invested heavily into SW at that point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Mccabe
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i voted for ashes. but I like summoner wars as well. mage wars (the big old version with the actual board) was too clunky for me.

Ashes is awesome. once you play a game or two it really comes together. The combos are fun, the art is very pleasing to look at, and the dice being used as resources add a great layer to the "mage vs mage" format. I also like the turn/round structure much better than other mage vs mage games I've played.

Summoner Wars is also a great game - though not as deep as ashes I don't think (maybe that's just my opinion). The tactical positioning and movement is great, lots of decks to choose from, cool abilities. somehow though, even with all the different summoners... every game has the same sort of flow to it... or at least mine did. one of the two players will make the first move to make a big push towards the other summoner, they will usually fail, and then the other player comes back and wins. Actually, I'm curious if this ever happens to others as well? anyway, ashes seems to be a little bit more unpredictable in terms of the power struggle between players.

Mage Wars (old version with the big box and board) was a fantastic idea, but too many fiddly bits, rules, and rules exceptions. I'm sure it works for some, but we found ourselves opening the rulebook too many times for our 4th play. never played it again after that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Boulder
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gstrobe188 wrote:
Poll
Ashes, Summoner Wars, or Mage Wars
Ashes
Summoner Wars
Mage Wars
      47 answers
Poll created by Gstrobe188

Never played Mage Wars, Summoner wars is coming to and end, Ashes is just getting started.

My vote is for Codex: Card-Time Strategy. It's a complete game, a hybrid of ccg, deckbuiling, and RTS games. For me, Codex renders all similar games obsolete. It's still up for pre-order, has not yet been generally released.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Moore
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like Ashes. For me, it fixes all of the things that I didn't like about Magic: the Gathering...
*It's an ECG instead of a CCG
*You get to choose your opening hand
*Resources are not up to the luck of the draw (there's still some luck involved, but also several ways to mitigate it)
*Summon spells offer a consistent means of getting units on the table

Also, the artwork on Ashes is sooooooooooo good.

Even though Ashes and Summoner Wars are very different games, I'm considering getting rid of Summoner Wars, because I'd just rather play Ashes, pretty much every time.

I've never played Mage Wars, so I can't offer an opinion there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.