Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Kenney
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hola, all,

So I've been looking for a game to get my wife into (I'm a big gamer, she isn't) and this looks like it might work. It's a theme she likes (Harry Potter!) and reviews say it's pretty easy to learn.

My question is where to begin? I've found a few 2-player starters locally that I can pick up. Is that enough to enjoy the game? Or are boosters going to be needed shortly after learning to really get into it?

I'm an old MTG player so I'm used to the CCG model, just not sure how much HP needs all the other cards for replayability.

Thanks!

J~
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josiah Fiscus
United States
Pittsburgh (Monroeville)
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can definitely get a feel for the game with just the starter.

In my opinion though, more than in other CCGs, a large majority of the strategy comes from the deckbuilding. This game doesn't often result in particularly difficult decisions in terms of gameplay itself, but I find deck creation and drafting to be very fun. On the plus side in your case, this does mean that you can do all the deckbuilding and your wife can probably easily manage to pilot one of them successfully.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jasonkenney wrote:
are boosters going to be needed

If you find that they ARE needed, Hill's Wholesale is great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Groll
Germany
Marburg
Hessen
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If I remember correctly, the starters - even from different sets - are largely identical. So, one starter will be enough to learn the game.
But if your wife enjoys the theme, you might want to pick up some boosters early on as the starter misses many of the famous wizards (Harry and Hermoine are included I think) and if you wife would like to play a deck with her favorite characters having some boosters will help a lot.
The later sets also increase the complexity slightly (e.g with locations), so you might enjoy them more.

The game is a great CCG for non-gamers and for the current prices (Hill's wholesale was mentioned) you maybe should - after a game or two with the starter - get a booster box of everything. That is what we did and it is blast. Currently half of our boosters are still sealed and from time to time we open a bunch of them and draft - and my wife is no CCG gamer as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Kenney
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent, thanks, everybody! And I'll look into some of those cheap booster boxes if she likes the game. Hoping I can use this to transition her into other games, but if this hooks her so be it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Chalfont
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently bought one of the core set starters to play with my daughter (who just hit the Harry Potter lifestage).

It seemed from my research that all starters come with Hermione and Malfoy as the wizards. They all seemed about the same regardless of edition. I think the Diagon Alley version had a couple different cards. You get two 30 card character decks, plus the typical wound tokens and paper playmat.

A standard deck is 60 cards. The starter set only includes spells, creatures, and lessons. It does not include any potion spells/lessons, items, adventures, or extra characters. It was fine to play as a simple standalone and decide if it was worth adding more. We both enjoyed but I felt the game really needed more cards.

The Hills prices are great for booster boxes and insane on Ebay. I ended up buying a few different used collections, in amazingly good shape, from Ebay and probably have over 1K cards now. I was surprised how many holos and rares I found that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.