$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
49.4% of Goal | left

Support:

Sal
United States
-
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So I've seen a bunch of gameplay videos but I can't really tell if this game will be challenging enough. I usually play 2 or 3 player and with "In the Lab" expansion as well as with 24 mutated purple disease cubes. For those who've played Reign of Cthulhu, does it seem challenging enough? Should I wait for an expansion? Do the options for changing the difficulty that the game provides actually make the game harder?

Thank you in advance for your replies! goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Philippe Thériault
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to admit it seems a tad easier to me, looking at the same playthroughs (and eye twitching at how many rule errors happen in them and how non-optimal their play is). In Pandemic the game ramps up at pretty much a regular interval. Here it seems everything should be under control (infection rate 2) for most of the game and only start getting out of hand if you let it (then it would probably rapidly ramp up out of control because every "Outbreak" makes the infection rate faster, thus digging you further in the hole). It looks more like Pandemic: The Cure, where you can either have an easy time the whole game or get a bunch of biohazard symbols early and then have to play catch up all game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fed Aykin

Texas
msg tools
mb
Isn't the difficulty variable, just like in vanilla Pandemic?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Yager
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a difficulty mode you can adjust at the start of the game. For an easy mode, you leave all 44 Clue cards in the Player deck. For a Normal game, you remove 1 Clue card from each color from the deck. And for a Hard mode, you remove 2 of each color.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sal
United States
-
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
kaatmal wrote:
There is a difficulty mode you can adjust at the start of the game. For an easy mode, you leave all 44 Clue cards in the Player deck. For a Normal game, you remove 1 Clue card from each color from the deck. And for a Hard mode, you remove 2 of each color.
That seems like it would just make the game artificially shorter by 2 or 4 turns. I like the kind of difficulty where there's so much to do and cleanup. I realize taking out clue cards also increases the chances of an Epidemic card being drawn, but still I'd prefer a difficulty mechanic that would overrun us with cultist or something instead of just thinning out the deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fuante Momiage
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Funnily enough I came in here to see if anyone else found this game too easy or if I were just a Pandemic savant or something. I had a harder time beating family friendly Forbidden Island on hard mode than this "not for the kiddos" game.

I beat it on expert twice last night with minimal stress. After beating it the second time, I decided I had to be doing something wrong and reread the rules. Turns out I was actually making it harder for myself unintentionally (I was only allowing myself to move from bus station to bus station when doing that action) and I still beat it with little issue.

For reference I played it solo with two characters, I chose them per the instructions. I'm wondering if maybe a 4 player game will amp up the difficulty. I can see it being a little tougher but still not soul crushing hard (the way all Lovecraft themed games seem to be).

There's plenty of room to house rule in toughness though so I'm probably gonna do that when I teach it to my game group (all of us are masochist gamers). They'll never be the wiser lol

So my house rules will be as follows:

Bus Station action - Move from bus station to bus station using the clue card of intended destination. Using clue card of same color as your current location does nothing.

Three Cultists - Walking out of a location with three cultists requires you to place a cultist from the supply in the next space you travel to (you were followed). To avoid being followed you must defeat a cultist from the location you are leaving, bringing it down to two before taking the Walk action. If there's already three cultists in the next location and you are followed then you would trigger an Awakening.

Shoggoth Count! - Shoggoth count as a cultist when resolving all Three Cultist rules. I.e. Summoning phase, Three Cultist rule above...

There now I'm sufficiently scared to play this game.

PS - Besides being too easy, this game is really, really fun. If you're down with the theme then it's a wonderful alternative to vanilla Pandemic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wil
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zappshmeow94 wrote:
That seems like it would just make the game artificially shorter by 2 or 4 turns.

I haven't played the game yet, but if you apply this to Pandemic, it sounds like it would work quite nicely. Sure it will shorten the game a bit but it will also make it harder to cure/close due to scarce resources.

In Pandemic, when I've wanted to step up the challenge with just the base game, I have advanced the epidemic track up one notch so it gets to 3 cards earlier in the game. I would imagine this would work nicely in Reign of Cthulhu as you'd also have an old one exposed from the beginning of the game.

Assuming I win my first game (once I have my copy), I'll give this a try and will share how it went.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sal
United States
-
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
wgerken wrote:
zappshmeow94 wrote:
That seems like it would just make the game artificially shorter by 2 or 4 turns.

I haven't played the game yet, but if you apply this to Pandemic, it sounds like it would work quite nicely. Sure it will shorten the game a bit but it will also make it harder to cure/close due to scarce resources.

In Pandemic, when I've wanted to step up the challenge with just the base game, I have advanced the epidemic track up one notch so it gets to 3 cards earlier in the game. I would imagine this would work nicely in Reign of Cthulhu as you'd also have an old one exposed from the beginning of the game.

Assuming I win my first game (once I have my copy), I'll give this a try and will share how it went.
Thinning the deck for regular Pandemic I don't mind so much, but Reign of Cthulhu is already a pretty short game. I actually kind of wish it was longer. I do like your idea of starting Reign of Cthulhu with one GOO card flipped.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sal
United States
-
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Fuante wrote:

There's plenty of room to house rule in toughness
Your house rules sound interesting! I'll have to give them a try! Thank you, fellow masochist-gamer. devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fuante Momiage
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
My pleasure (if that's even the right word lol).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fuante Momiage
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
And now after having played 3 games using my house rules in about an hour and fifteen minutes (big shout out to Mr. Yager for making this play so swiftly!), I have some errata.

Regarding the Bus Station action I suggested, in Arkham you can play another green clue card to travel to the other bus station in Arkham (cuz it's the only Town with two bus stations).

And regarding the Shoggoth Counts suggestion, if a Shoggoth moves onto a space with three cultists, remove one cultist from the game (he's been sacrificed) and resolve an Awakening.

For those keeping score (probably only me), of the 3 games I've played using my house rules, I've won zero. Got close on my last one with three gates sealed and on track to the final gate but a double Awakening resulting from the Summoning phase doomed us all to Cthulhu's unmerciful wrath.

I now unabashedly adore this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Immortal
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
mb
I find it weird that the cultists keep coming when you seal a portal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fuante Momiage
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
There's an elder sign relic card that does prevent all spawns from happening in the town it's applied to, most helpful if you are lucky enough to acquire it.

It is, however, a little weird the cultists keep on coming cuz it feels a bit like a shallow victory at the time you seal a gate. But thematically (if it helps to think of it like this) why would the cultists give up just cuz some pesky investigator shut down one of their parties? At least it does slightly help gameplay wise cuz the Shoggoth's that spawn in that town now have to travel that much further to reach an open gate which gives you a little breathing room. And everyone likes breathing, right!?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Segundo
Brazil
Belem
Para
flag msg tools
Fuante wrote:
There's plenty of room to house rule in toughness though [...].

Bus Station action - Move from bus station to bus station using the clue card of intended destination. Using clue card of same color as your current location does nothing.

Three Cultists - Walking out of a location with three cultists requires you to place a cultist from the supply in the next space you travel to (you were followed). To avoid being followed you must defeat a cultist from the location you are leaving, bringing it down to two before taking the Walk action. If there's already three cultists in the next location and you are followed then you would trigger an Awakening.

Shoggoth Count! - Shoggoth count as a cultist when resolving all Three Cultist rules. I.e. Summoning phase, Three Cultist rule above...

I like the Bus Station and the Shoggoth house rules. When I get my copy I will try them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Segundo
Brazil
Belem
Para
flag msg tools
zappshmeow94 wrote:
wgerken wrote:
zappshmeow94 wrote:

Thinning the deck for regular Pandemic I don't mind so much, but Reign of Cthulhu is already a pretty short game. I actually kind of wish it was longer. I do like your idea of starting Reign of Cthulhu with one GOO card flipped.

I liked it too. Or increase the "infection rate" like regular pandemic. Maybe 2, 2, 3, 3, 4, 4 instead of 2,2,2,3,3,3
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego

New Kensington
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nightwishpower wrote:
I find it weird that the cultists keep coming when you seal a portal

Thematically speaking, the cultists don't come from the portals, they are humans like the investigators just bat-shit crazy. As I understand it the cultists don't belong to any one Ancient One or any particular town so why wouldn't they keep coming? They can still summon an Ancient One if a fourth one is placed on a space occupied with three others. I know this is different than the way it is in Pandemic but to be honest, this is a different game than Pandemic or at least that's what I'm getting from it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
daniel gagnon
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
+1 for the Shoggoth house rule,

Actually, my first reflex was to count Shoggoth for the Awaking rule and I had to reread the rules to be sure.

And since Shoggoth moves toward the portal I find it better that he can brings Awaking along his path.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fuante wrote:
Funnily enough I came in here to see if anyone else found this game too easy or if I were just a Pandemic savant or something. I had a harder time beating family friendly Forbidden Island on hard mode than this "not for the kiddos" game.

I beat it on expert twice last night with minimal stress. After beating it the second time, I decided I had to be doing something wrong and reread the rules. Turns out I was actually making it harder for myself unintentionally (I was only allowing myself to move from bus station to bus station when doing that action) and I still beat it with little issue.

For reference I played it solo with two characters, I chose them per the instructions. I'm wondering if maybe a 4 player game will amp up the difficulty. I can see it being a little tougher but still not soul crushing hard (the way all Lovecraft themed games seem to be).

There's plenty of room to house rule in toughness though so I'm probably gonna do that when I teach it to my game group (all of us are masochist gamers). They'll never be the wiser lol

There now I'm sufficiently scared to play this game.

PS - Besides being too easy, this game is really, really fun. If you're down with the theme then it's a wonderful alternative to vanilla Pandemic.

you should post these as a new thread in the variants forum, so more people can see / try.

I don't have my copy yet, I want to play it as written a few times first before I start tweaking it, but I suspect that these will be amongst the first changes i try...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Mealer
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
I am personally thinking about house ruling outbreaks... so yes an awakening ritual occurs but so does an out break of cultists...

One question on evil stirs card, does everyone roll the sanity di or just the person who drew it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having played this a few times now, I'm not so convinced by the "all too easy" arguments.
This game feels like it had much more randomness involve than regular Pandemic.
3 times in 3 games, we had a Shoggoth spawned by an "Evil Stirs" card only 1 or 2 spaces from an open gate, then instantly move and trigger an awakening with the cards from that same turn. The odds of that happening quite so regularly are probably fairly long, but it can still happen.

In Pandemic, an outbreak isn't ideal (as too many will lose you the game), but the outbreak isn't actually going to affect you until you reach the fatal number - in this version, the awakening of extra Old Ones early on can really hamper you with the ongoing effects they bring, not to mention the fact that a character can go from being sat in an apparently safe location to having been driven insane all in a time period where the players have no opportunity to act.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sal
United States
-
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Plur42 wrote:
I am personally thinking about house ruling outbreaks... so yes an awakening ritual occurs but so does an out break of cultists...

One question on evil stirs card, does everyone roll the sanity die or just the person who drew it?
I'm pretty sure it's just the person who drew the card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
yell armageddon
msg tools
Mightyjim wrote:

3 times in 3 games, we had a Shoggoth spawned by an "Evil Stirs" card only 1 or 2 spaces from an open gate, then instantly move and trigger an awakening with the cards from that same turn.

Are you aware that the Shoggoth has to move once more when standing on a gate to trigger an old one?
So if he is 2 spaces away, you need 3 shoggoth moves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris H
msg tools
Bus station to bus station and only with the destination card is a winner. We initially thought that's how it should be played.

Also like the Shoggoth rule. Assume you mean a Shoggoth moving into a three cultist location triggers an Awakening?

Was thinking you could also make Relics count as an action, which would also mean only the active player can use a relic. You'd need to remove the Old One that declares only the active player can use a Relic, otherwise it wouldn't actually penalise you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Beck
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game is far too easy. No comparison with Defenders of the realm f.e.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris H
msg tools
Beckikaze wrote:
This game is far too easy. No comparison with Defenders of the realm f.e.

Agreed. We play a lot of Eldritch so we're used to constant crushing defeat.

Our first game of PRoC was a nice change of pace. The second was a more than comfortable win that had us wondering if the game was too easy by design.

Would like to see an official respec of a harder difficulty rather than just making the card pool shorter. There are some great workable ideas in this thread that don't rework the game concepts.

Bus stations and shoggoth counts tweaks above should be standard features. Starting with an Old One flipped seems an easy and sensible difficulty increase too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.