BoardGameGeek» Forums » BoardGameGeek Related » BGG General

Subject: Suggested Games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zee Deveel
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On Amazon when you look at an item, it suggests other similar items based on other people's browsing. IMDB does it too. I think BGG should have something on each game's page something like "Similar games recommended by BGG users". Instead of doing it via browsing history, it could be done through user voting, similar to the "Plays best with # number" section. Though instead of a checkbox list, you'd need the "Insert Geek Link" widget. The top 10 games could be listed in rank order somewhere near the bottom of the page or whatever. I think this would be really useful for people looking for new games, it's a feature I'd make much use of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have actually had the same thought before. I give this idea my pirate seal of approval. thumbsuparrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zee Deveel
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yarr!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Saari
Finland
flag msg tools
http://www.lautapeliopas.fi/ - the best Finnish board game resource!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This feature used to exist, but it was too heavy on the servers to maintain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Tucker
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
A game is a series of decisions; a good game is a series of interesting decisions
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
msaari wrote:

Is your correlation tool no longer working as well?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Category:Hostess fruit pie ads featuring
Sweden
flag msg tools
Help, I'm being held prisoner in an overtext typing facility! I don't have much time, they could find out at any m
badge
I'm that weirdo whose number of badges sold prior to yesterday Bail Organa is keeping track of
mbmb
The correlation tool still works but you have to coax it a bit. First try entering 100 as the min number of matches as otherwise it will say there aren't any users with enough matches (even though a lower requirement should obviously result in more matches). When checking against individual users you will again have to raise the number, e.g. if the list tells you there are 200 matches with a user, and you click their name, the tool will try the default of 75 and claim not to find enough matches (even though it just told you there were 200), but if you then manually up the requirement to 150 or 200 it will.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
msaari wrote:

It previously existed, and replaced another system before that until getting dropped.

Here is some now outdated information:

/wiki/page/Game_Recommendation_Algorithm

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Saari
Finland
flag msg tools
http://www.lautapeliopas.fi/ - the best Finnish board game resource!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the correlation tool may suffer a bit from the way that the XML API works these days, in many cases you don't actually get the results when you first ask for them, just a note that you'll get the results soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.