Airfix Battles» Forums » Rules

Subject: Can a unit attach to a lone commander? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Blue Hammer
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The advanced rules say a lone commander can play a move card to join another unit.

Is it possible to do this the other way around? For example, lets say a commander and his attachment act first. The enemy then acts and manages to do enough damage to wipe-out the attachment but not the commander. On my next order, could I pay a move card to have a second unit move into the commander's space and link-up with him?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Paull
United Kingdom
HUNTINGDON
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The intention of the rule is that you're acting as the commander, so you're moving *him* into the square of the Unit to take charge, because he's the one taking the decision. So, the short answer is no, not the other way around.

Of course, if you feel that you'd prefer to play it with both options, that's fine too! But you should agree that with your opponent before the game.

Alan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Hammer
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the reply Alan.

I can see the thematic logic behind the rule (the commander keeps his head while the troops are losing theirs), but I recently had a situation were the 2nd squad would have had to waste a turn so the commander could link up with them, so they could all move back into the space the commander was previously occupying. So I just wondered if the commander could order the unit to him.

On a related note, I presume that when a commander joins a new squad to form a single unit, the squad loses it's action (effectively their 'order' is being told to follow the commander)?

As an aside, can a commander willingly leave a unit to merge with a different one (not including attachments obviously)? I can't imagine why you would ever need to, just a random thought really.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Paull
United Kingdom
HUNTINGDON
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
When you assign a Commander to a Squad, that's the Commander's order, not the Squad's. The Squad with assigned Commander can now be given an order in the same round. In your example, the Commander dashes over to the Squad (assigning himself to the Squad), then the Squad moves back into his square; the Commander has to physically join the Squad to cajole them to act!

The same is true for Transport vehicles. For example, a Towed Gun can be moved into position by a half-track with an order to the Transport vehicle. Then, with a subsequent order, the Gun could fire. Note that the Gun cannot fire on the same turn that it was moved, so a combined Move and Fire order won't work; it must be an order in a subsequent turn. A similar sequence applies to Transports carrying infantry Squads.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Paull
United Kingdom
HUNTINGDON
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Bluehammer wrote:
As an aside, can a commander willingly leave a unit to merge with a different one (not including attachments obviously)? I can't imagine why you would ever need to, just a random thought really.

We decided not to allow this action, as it breaks the simplicity of the system somewhat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Hammer
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks again Alan.

I'm still working my way through the missions and haven't gotten to Towed Guns and Transports yet, so good to know ahead of time. I have, however, just learnt to be very afraid of tank shells while your troops are holed up inside a building!

It still amazes me how you've managed to create such a rich, tactical game with such wonderfully simple, streamlined rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.