Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Gordon
United States
Meridian
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played a game of this last night that involved the Shapeshifters. The player who was controlling them was taking all "when you reach this level" abilities on the newly drawn factions, even the ones that appeared at lower levels than the one he would have "just reached." He figured that he technically had "just reached" them since the powers were all new to him. We didn't say anything at the time, but the more I thought about it, the more I thought that you should only activate "just reached" abilities that are at the exact same level of magic that was just reached by the Shapeshifters.

Which interpretation is correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aernout Casier
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
He was correct. I take it you played the 2nd edition? The old edition mentioned this explicitly:

https://thurotdotcom.files.wordpress.com/2014/11/4-tiny-epic...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Gordon
United States
Meridian
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We were using the second edition, but I don't think the cards themselves are any different. I realize he has access to all the below abilities, but does he get to activate one-use abilities from previous levels? For example, the first level of Frost Giants says that when that level is reached, to knock over another meeple. He had just gotten to level three on Shapeshifters. So, do you still activate one-use abilities like those, even if that particular level was not "just reached" by the Shapeshifters?

If so, I'm fine playing it that way. I just want to make sure we're on the same page as to what my question is.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I would agree that he only gets the "just reached" for the shifted factions if he has, in fact, just reached that level.

You don't get the abilities for being that level, you get the abilities for reaching that level.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Coe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.GamelynGames.com
badge
www.GamelynGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
The one-use abilities from previous levels are not triggered upon shapeshifting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Gordon
United States
Meridian
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mgcoe wrote:
The one-use abilities from previous levels are not triggered upon shapeshifting.

Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.