Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ludvig Bowallius
Sweden
Stockholm
Årsta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have finally been able to play Cthulhu Wars with 4 players, and I thought it was a blast (Though nowhere near the 90 minutes playtime I’ve heard players on the geek achieving). My group like the game so far, especially it’s sense of immense power and diversity and how present the figures feel when playing the game.

However, we have some issues with some of the spellbooks in the game. I don’t have any of the expansions yet although I am an enthusiastic backer in the kickstarter so expect them sometime later this year. It is possible expansions could counter some issues with cerain spellbooks, but for now, I present some variants my group has thought about. I am aware they might not be balanced, but I just want discussions on what people have done in their groups and am interested in an overall level of insight.

Suggesion 1:

Thousand forms is the amount of power equal to the number of players instead of a dice roll.

Reasoning: Thousand forms seems amazingly overpowered in 3-player games and pretty weak in bigger games. Also it is way too random, as the 1 and 6 becomes very polarizing results. Placing the amount as the number of players does still make the power good, and it will always mean that one player needs to contribute a bit more to deny Nyarlathotep his due. If some random element is still wanted, the die could still be rolled and result in these adjustments:

1-2 -1 power
3-4 No power adjustment
5-6 +1 power

This still retains the random element but not to such an extreme degree.

Suggestion 2:

Ghroth is a “once per game” action. If four fungi from Yuggoth exist in four separate spaces, the Black Goat player can initiate the “Ghroth” action. If all the fungi figures are still alive until the next action Black Goat want to perform, destroy all cultists on the board.

Reasoning: I realise this is a pretty insane and convoluted effect, but my group is pretty frustrated over Ghroth, that seems like a pretty poor spellbook. Also I feel that if the thematic reasoning is that the fungi call upon Ghroth that then kills the puny mortals on the board, the effect should go all the way. Our point is that Ghroth is already an overly complicated and convoluted effect when compared to the other spellbooks, and I feel something on this scale would make it more fun and thematic to actually achieve. On a balance note I feel it could be in Black Goat’s interest since they can somewhat manipulate the amount of cultists on the board, but I am really wondering how to properly suggest the means of which the other players should be able to prevent the effect from happening.

Suggestion 3:

Ghroth costs 0, and can only be used once per turn.

Reasoning: A member in my group suggested this, and it keeps the thematic effect in the form of a stalling power that Black Goat can use each turn. It actually makes it a pretty decent spellbook, but the question is if a stalling power might be too powerful for the faction. I feel it is a simple and elegant solution, but I’m sure there are excellent reasons why Ghroth can’t be designed this way and I’d love to hear them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Also it is way too random, as the 1 and 6 becomes very polarizing results.

Not sure why the '1' should be "polarizing" - that's pretty much always "laugh at Nyarly and let him have the power".

Just to check, are you aware that there is official errata for Ghroth? The update version allows Black Goat to place a cultist from any player anywhere on the map on a failed roll. That really gives Ghroth a bump in usefulness.

Your Ghroth "destroy all cultists" power is very, very extreme. That's going to a major dent to many factions, and require a lot of scrambling from everyone to get gates back under their control. Yellow Sign with Passion will come out in a better position than anyone else, of course. It will mean people will constantly have to menace your Fungi, and its not that easy to reliably kill a target. Of course, if someone can kill a fungi (Dread Curse anyone?) your whole book was a big waste.

Overall, I think this is probably a bad idea from a balance standpoint, but if you really want to shake up the game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:
Quote:
Also it is way too random, as the 1 and 6 becomes very polarizing results.

Not sure why the '1' should be "polarizing" - that's pretty much always "laugh at Nyarly and let him have the power". :)

He's saying they're too far apart or polarized, there isn't enough reliability on either side making those results feel too random. (I think that's what he's saying because I agree).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludvig Bowallius
Sweden
Stockholm
Årsta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah as Kolby said that was what I meant to say, the 1 and 6 seems very extreme as results and brings a bit too much randomness to the table, at least in my opinion.

I am not entirely serious about my Ghroth variant, I just wanted to suggest something I feel is on the proper scale of what Ghroth should do in terms of impact, or at least suggest something that lies within the spirit of what the designers tried to achieve when implementing the Ghroth spellbook. I'd like alternate suggestions on how to make Ghroth a really epic, high impact spellbook or alternatively ways to change Ghroth in more subtle ways that still makes it competitive compared to the other spellbooks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernard Gourion
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
nightwalker wrote:
Yeah as Kolby said that was what I meant to say, the 1 and 6 seems very extreme as results and brings a bit too much randomness to the table, at least in my opinion.

I am not entirely serious about my Ghroth variant, I just wanted to suggest something I feel is on the proper scale of what Ghroth should do in terms of impact, or at least suggest something that lies within the spirit of what the designers tried to achieve when implementing the Ghroth spellbook. I'd like alternate suggestions on how to make Ghroth a really epic, high impact spellbook or alternatively ways to change Ghroth in more subtle ways that still makes it competitive compared to the other spellbooks.

I have quite a lot of games of CW behind me and what i suggest :
just keep Thousand forms and Groth (in his last formulation, the initial one was effectively rarely efficient) as they are.

The only variants we used are :
Sandy's hidden spellbooks variant: When you gain a spellbook, don't show the spellbook to other players, only reveal it when used the first time.

Free initial set-up on Earth Map: beginning by Cthulhu, just put your 6 cultists and your gate in any area you want:
1/ Cthulhu chooses the direction of play
2/ Each faction beginning with cthulhu successivey chooses one area to set-up his 6 cultists and its initial gate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claus Appel
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mb
bengougou75 wrote:
The only variants we used are :
Sandy's hidden spellbooks variant: When you gain a spellbook, don't show the spellbook to other players, only reveal it when used the first time.

I love this!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.