$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 70.5

4,882 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
30.8% of Goal | 28 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

The Others» Forums » Rules

Subject: Shooters same zone. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark VonKing
United States
Middletown
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
So if the shooter is in the street and starts a combat in the same zone. Is that ranged? I can not seem to find a clarification on this.
Also if the sin player starts a fight does the shooter received thier bonus?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Keene
msg tools
designer
On page 36 it says that a ranged fight cannot occur inside districts, which to me would imply that a ranged fight can’t be used in your own space in a street either. The diagrams also show it only working in adjacent spaces.

I would say a shooter hero can still make a melee attack in their own space but they would not gain any bonuses they would get from a ranged fight.

Since a Sin player can only start a melee fight, the shooter should not receive bonuses in that case either.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Thomas
United States
Palmyra
Virginia
flag msg tools
Check out our journey at http://colinbethanyadopt.wordpress.com
badge
"Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination." - The First Ideal of the Lightweavers (The Stormlight Archive)
mbmbmbmbmb
Zodiac 26 wrote:
So if the shooter is in the street and starts a combat in the same zone. Is that ranged? I can not seem to find a clarification on this.
Also if the sin player starts a fight does the shooter received thier bonus?


Rules, pg. 36 wrote:

If a Hero has the Ranged ability (either naturally, or granted by an Upgrade card in his possession), he may Start a Fight against the Monsters in a Space far from his own.


So no, it would be regular combat, not ranged combat.

Edit: ninja'd by Richard.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Preder
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
paedia wrote:
Zodiac 26 wrote:
So if the shooter is in the street and starts a combat in the same zone. Is that ranged? I can not seem to find a clarification on this.
Also if the sin player starts a fight does the shooter received thier bonus?


Rules, pg. 36 wrote:

If a Hero has the Ranged ability (either naturally, or granted by an Upgrade card in his possession), he may Start a Fight against the Monsters in a Space far from his own.


So no, it would be regular combat, not ranged combat.

Edit: ninja'd by Richard.


As if shooters were not bad enough
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Reynolds
United States
Vermontville
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MilkFromACow wrote:
paedia wrote:
Zodiac 26 wrote:
So if the shooter is in the street and starts a combat in the same zone. Is that ranged? I can not seem to find a clarification on this.
Also if the sin player starts a fight does the shooter received thier bonus?


Rules, pg. 36 wrote:

If a Hero has the Ranged ability (either naturally, or granted by an Upgrade card in his possession), he may Start a Fight against the Monsters in a Space far from his own.


So no, it would be regular combat, not ranged combat.

Edit: ninja'd by Richard.


As if shooters were not bad enough


I don't understand the claim that shooters are bad. They have a major advantage over melee heroes in that they can fight monsters without having to worry about taking damage or corruption at all. Yes, if you miss or leave monsters alive in the target space they'll come after you but you can plan for this and block their path with another hero or shoot from more than two spaces away. Melee heroes risk taking heavy damage or corruption every time they pick a fight.

There are also some nice combos in the game to maximize the effectiveness of shooters. For example, Rose can teleport a single monster out of a building, setting a shooter up for an easy killshot.

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Preder
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pkreynolds wrote:
MilkFromACow wrote:
paedia wrote:
Zodiac 26 wrote:
So if the shooter is in the street and starts a combat in the same zone. Is that ranged? I can not seem to find a clarification on this.
Also if the sin player starts a fight does the shooter received thier bonus?


Rules, pg. 36 wrote:

If a Hero has the Ranged ability (either naturally, or granted by an Upgrade card in his possession), he may Start a Fight against the Monsters in a Space far from his own.


So no, it would be regular combat, not ranged combat.

Edit: ninja'd by Richard.


As if shooters were not bad enough


I don't understand the claim that shooters are bad. They have a major advantage over melee heroes in that they can fight monsters without having to worry about taking damage or corruption at all. Yes, if you miss or leave monsters alive in the target space they'll come after you but you can plan for this and block their path with another hero or shoot from more than two spaces away. Melee heroes risk taking heavy damage or corruption every time they pick a fight.

There are also some nice combos in the game to maximize the effectiveness of shooters. For example, Rose can teleport a single monster out of a building, setting a shooter up for an easy killshot.



I was just parroting others that the shooters are bad. I've only played once, and they did seem to die the fastest, but it's probably because we did not play them effectively. I'd appreciate some strategies being posted about how to best handle using the classes and which are good ones to mix and match, etc.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark VonKing
United States
Middletown
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
Thank you all, that's the way I was using it. Just wanted to hear other player input.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Brace
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
In the rulebook under "ranged" it says that with the keyword ranged, a hero can start a fight in a space far away from theirs. We took this to mean they could not start a ranged fight in their space.

If you can keep other heroes between your shooters and the monsters, it helps keep them alive much longer since even a monster that survives a ranged attack and is retaliating has to stop moving as soon as it enters a space with another hero. Heroes don't block line of sight, so keeping a bruiser, fixer, or leader between the shooter and the monsters works very well.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Brace
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Also on page 20 in the rulebook under Natural Ability (hero dashboard explanation), it says "Some heroes (mostly Shooters, but sometimes Leaders as well) also have a natural Ranged Ability that allows them to Start a Fight with Monsters in distant Spaces." Our interpretation is that by "distant Spaces" they mean not the hero's current space.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Felts
United States
Hamilton
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have a question about putting other Heroes in the intervening spaces so the monsters can't reach you. I don't have the rulebook in front of me at the moment but I believe it states something to the affect: If after the ranged attack the monster can not reach the shooter the monster doesn't move (paraphrasing of course)...

Does this then mean if there is an intervening hero the monster won't be able to make it to the shooter so it won't even move into the intervening space to begin with and just stay in its original space?

Thanks,
Tim
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Aull
United States
Owensboro
KY
flag msg tools
Gamer Without a Cause
mbmbmbmbmb
tfelts wrote:
I have a question about putting other Heroes in the intervening spaces so the monsters can't reach you. I don't have the rulebook in front of me at the moment but I believe it states something to the affect: If after the ranged attack the monster can not reach the shooter the monster doesn't move (paraphrasing of course)...

Does this then mean if there is an intervening hero the monster won't be able to make it to the shooter so it won't even move into the intervening space to begin with and just stay in its original space?

Thanks,
Tim


It will move towards you up to 2 spaces, if it hits another Hero it won't leave that space.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flavio Santos
Brazil
Brasilia
Distrito Federal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
tfelts wrote:
I have a question about putting other Heroes in the intervening spaces so the monsters can't reach you. I don't have the rulebook in front of me at the moment but I believe it states something to the affect: If after the ranged attack the monster can not reach the shooter the monster doesn't move (paraphrasing of course)...

Does this then mean if there is an intervening hero the monster won't be able to make it to the shooter so it won't even move into the intervening space to begin with and just stay in its original space?

Thanks,
Tim


If the monster can't reach the hero, it does not move. The reason is not relevant.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Felts
United States
Hamilton
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Flaviorbs wrote:
tfelts wrote:
I have a question about putting other Heroes in the intervening spaces so the monsters can't reach you. I don't have the rulebook in front of me at the moment but I believe it states something to the affect: If after the ranged attack the monster can not reach the shooter the monster doesn't move (paraphrasing of course)...

Does this then mean if there is an intervening hero the monster won't be able to make it to the shooter so it won't even move into the intervening space to begin with and just stay in its original space?

Thanks,
Tim


If the monster can't reach the hero, it does not move. The reason is not relevant.


Thanks, that's what I was thinking so it won't leave it's original space to get tied up with the intervening hero.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.