Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Erb
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While I love the puzzles in the game they aren't for everybody. So I was brain storming an alternative.

Have puzzles ranked easy/medium/hard and then have a number of successes needed = #of investigators x1/x2/x3. Then have the picture puzzle use observation, the moving pieces puzzle use agility, and the number puzzle use will.

so based on what the puzzle looks like for difficulty you decide the target number and roll the dice. i would then use the elder signs and clue symbols as successes.

part of this is because i own the game, but i've got friends in far away places. so table top simulator is the way to go for it until we get together. and that doesn't work so well having puzzles on a screen somewhere else...

thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BT Carpenter
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Why reduce an interesting "not just rolling dice" mechanic to "just roll dice"?

Also, how are your remote friends viewing the app portion of the game via tabletop simulator?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Erb
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i love the puzzles, but they aren't for everyone, as i said.

and they wouldn't be able to view the app, i would be running it for them, reading things, setting up the board, etc. hence why i would need something to do the puzzles. the other option would be to web cam it, but i don't really want them to have to guide me to solve the puzzle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ParisianDreams
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play with my friend and we skype and one of us uses the split screen/add a screen so when a puzzle comes up, I can look in the skype window and see the puzzle. It's a little bit laggy but not too bad.

Edit: I tell him what I want to move for the puzzle or the colour/number etc in the order I want and we discuss it too. But if it's my character that has searched and found the puzzle, then we use my skill on Lore or whatever it asks for the amount of turns/moves allowed. Or use his skill if his investigator searched and it was a puzzle. Works well enough for us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gandorques Hikla
Germany
Mannheim
flag msg tools
I recite my post from the Steam Forums here.
This wont work for everyone, because you need at least 2 different Computers to do it.

Quote:
My kinda complicated but working solution to use the App together with others in the Tabletop Simulator:
-Install MoM with Steam on another Machine (in my case a laptop) with another account or in Offline Mode.
-Start a Meeting on the "MoM Machine" with https://www.join.me/ , a simple free meeting tool that allows to share control with multiple users AND the meetings can be joined with a invitation link from within a webbrowser, even from the Steam Browser or the TTS In-Game Tablet.
-Start the TTS Session on your main machine
-Spawn a tablet an open the meeting invitation link
-Everyone who joins can now see the Display of your "MoM Machine" the In-Game Tablet
-On the "MoM Machine" you can grant control to whoever wants/needs to control the app.

Optional:
-If you want to send the App Sound to the other players too, you can set up "Stereo Mix" as your recording device, and use Skype or Teamspeak to stream the sound to the other players. Be sure to mute any sound except the App sound to have no noise or feedback from the others

The downside is a variable delay in the app control and sound, depending on your connection quality.
If the delay is too big for the other players to properly control it, they can at least see the puzzles and tell you what to do.

It also helps with the gameflow because you dont need to oversee anything the app does.
I had a nice playtrough yesterday where one player read the Texts out loud, while I built up the rooms.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Erb
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
that's pretty clever!

we tried it last night, i tripoded a webcam above a tablet. i think it might've all been too much for my network though and tts was glitching out. so we never got to the puzzles. i'll keep that idea in mind if we try it again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ParisianDreams
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems like a lot of work when you could just use Skype's split screen option and everyone on the skype call can see the app/puzzles w/o having to set up a separate camera etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.