Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Condon
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Both questions are most relevant with Heidi, but could be relevant to other characters.

1) When you gain a Boost by another means (such as Heidi's 'install' abilities) and that gained-boost has a '...and strike' ability, do you just strike right then a second time, or do you just ignore that clause?

2) If you gain a Boost by other means, unless it specifically says otherwise like 'this does not count as resolving a boost', do other things that trigger off of boosts being played also trigger?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron White
Australia
Bathurst
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Bennett from Brawl
badge
Slow and Thoughtful
mbmbmbmbmb
There is an answer elsewhere here, but I found her much easier to understand by reading the rules. It discusses the timing of boosts and tells you when they "resolve". Heidi's abilitity uses the word resolve as well, once I made this connection all the cards made much more sense.

Pretty much if you have to resolve the rules text on a boost when you play it or it comes into play, you get to draw a card. This applies to both instantaneous boosts and continuous boosts. It applies even if you resolve the boost and it does not have any instantaneous effects.

There are only two exceptions, the official response for each is below.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1589482/heidi-character-...

Hope this helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron White
Australia
Bathurst
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Bennett from Brawl
badge
Slow and Thoughtful
mbmbmbmbmb
Does Heidi have a boost with the the "... And Strike" clause? Will have to check the cards!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Condon
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
She does with Iron Grit, but I was thinking of more than just her. She's just the easy example to use.

Can she, say, Dagger Strike Install into a Strumwaffe, and if so does she move as part of this effect or not?

Or if she Dagger Storm Drei Install's into an Iron Grit, does she just strike instantly again after resolving it, not taking more than 4 damage in the process, or is it simply she doesn't take more than 4 damage after the NEXT strike, as the stirke effect doesn't trigger after installs (or other non-boost action playings of boosts)?

Basically what I'm trying to see is if these other conditional boost abilities trigger when cheating boosts into play (such as movement or striking) or do you *just* get the stat bonuses and before/hit/after effects?

More generally (and I'm 90% certain of this), when you cheat a continuous boost into play from a hit effect, it doesn't retroactively boost the hit that actually cheated it into play, does it? (That'd be bonkers.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Brannan
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
daggerstrike into sturmwaffe - yes she gets the movement

daggerstrike into iron grit - you cant strike again in the middle of a strike so you ignore that part

edited out for correction

also, if you cheat a boost into play, her ability still goes off and you draw a card

all of this has been ruled by the TO at gencon and/or brad so it is official

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Condon
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most everything here is confirming my suspicions. We've been playing correctly.

But could you give me an example of what you're referencing here:
"you don't retroactively modify the hit, it has already happened, however you can choose to stack the triggers, allowing you some additional hit abilities. if you are talking about adding additional power with her ability or another boost, then yes it does apply since the hit trigger is before the damage step."

So let's say a boost cheated into play with a 'hit' effect has an 'after' or 'hit' effect of its own, or additional power, are you saying that they would get these (new) boosts on THIS strike *and* the next one (given that the ability says 'do not discard this boost at the end of this strike')?

If that is indeed the case, then *that* we've been doing wrong. What we've been doing is basically putting those new boosts aside and having them stay and affecting the NEXT strike, not the one it was cheated into play on.

If these boosts do affect the strike they have been cheated into play with as well as the next one as they linger, then that would make an already bonkers character even more bonkers with Heidi.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Brannan
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
rereading the card

the continuous boost comes into play after the strike has finished, that means both players have attacked, so she does not get any bonuses. i was thinking of juno who does something similar but has the effects apply immediately. you still get the card draw and the movement, but you still dont strike.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron White
Australia
Bathurst
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Bennett from Brawl
badge
Slow and Thoughtful
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been treating it like the boosts take effect immediately. I did not see a difference between "HIT: +2 Power" or "HIT: Put a boost into play (chooses Fierce for +2 Power).

Would appreciate an official response to confirm this is done correctly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Brannan
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
Rook96 wrote:
I have been treating it like the boosts take effect immediately. I did not see a difference between "HIT: +2 Power" or "HIT: Put a boost into play (chooses Fierce for +2 Power).

for daggerstrike? it specifically states that its played at the end of the strike phase

daggerstorm on the other hand yes, it applies immediately
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron White
Australia
Bathurst
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Bennett from Brawl
badge
Slow and Thoughtful
mbmbmbmbmb
FrostWolf1023 wrote:
Rook96 wrote:

for daggerstrike? it specifically states that its played at the end of the strike phase

daggerstorm on the other hand yes, it applies immediately

Forgot about those different timings on the cards. Travelling to San Francisco from Australia and trying to remember the cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.