Subject: PnP Choose Your Own Adventure Game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
caleb Vance
United States
Searcy
Arkansas
flag msg tools
I have gone through some initial play testing, but no blinds yet. I'd love some more feedback on the game.

It's a choose your own adventure style game that plays in 30-45 minutes. It's a rules light, action selection card game with a story engine similar to what's in Dead of Winter or Above and Below with a few important tweaks. It is heavily focused on the story. That story is that you are trying to keep your head down and survive for 10 weeks in a world that hates you. You have been chosen as colonists on the first settlement of Mars and must survive until your training begins.

Here it is for anyone who is interested: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B92Qa_pdf_42MUFRVWxUeWZhMV...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Koenig
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am limited with my ability to PnP but I will look over the rules in the next week or two and try to give you some feedback.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Perry
United States
Newtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds interesting. How big are the cards? Ate they set on letter or A4?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
caleb Vance
United States
Searcy
Arkansas
flag msg tools
They're mostly tarot with a few poker. It's set to letter. There are three documents: fronts, backs, and whole, essentially you only need either whole or fronts and backs. It's 16 pages double sided (32 sides). 60 tarot cards, 36 poker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robyn Dawson-Ruiz
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
I read through your rules and cards, and I think this is a pretty neat game. I haven't printed the cards or played the game, but I do have some thoughts to share.

I really like the idea of getting a scenario read to you on the event cards and then deciding your fate. That is incredible cool. This mechanic does have an inherent flaw: if you play multiple games you will remember some of the events and pick the optimal outcome. This is not a terrible flaw, and it would encourage players to get expansions with more events if they were available.

You might want to include a rule where you permanently remove events from the game after resolving them (i.e. those events won't be used again even in future games). You could build a ~20 card deck at the start of each game with a fixed number of each event type so that you keep the same ratio of events for game balance. When there are not enough unresolved event cards to play the game you'd have to stop playing long enough so that you forget the old events and then shuffle them back in, or you'd need an expansion with more events.

I noticed that most of the events have negative consequences if you choose poorly, and neutral consequences at best. This sounds a little disappointing since it encourages players to avoid the events, which in my opinion are the most interesting part of the game.

I'm curious, in the games you have played, how many events get resolved each game?

Also, the PnPfronts.pdf file does not have the action cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
caleb Vance
United States
Searcy
Arkansas
flag msg tools
Thanks so much for your thoughts and time. I hope you get a chance to play it at some point.

Yes, the limited content is certainly an issue. I've usually run through about 6-10 events in a 3 player game. This may not seem like much, but in 30 minutes, resolving events ends up being about a third to a half of the game. So, essentially you are looking at 5-9 games to get through the cards, but each time you get a card you only hear the outcome you choose, so you do not know which is the best (unless you have a snoopy reader, or look through the discard pile). And assuming that you do not binge play it you usually forget most outcomes. All that to say that I don't think the problem is as bad as you might think. But, even though it might not be bad mechanically, it's pretty boring thematically. It stinks to read an intro and say, "Oh, I've heard this before.

Side note: I think it'd be really interesting to see how often people choose the outcome that they know on a card versus venturing out and trying something new.

That's a very good idea about subbing in new event cards each time you get one. I'm actually working on the second set of cards that will be totally new (and have a few extra mechanics). My vision for the game is that it would be pretty well open source, where players can create cards and have their cards enter the pool of stuff everybody is playing. So, you would be playing a collection of everyone's ideas for cards.

You are right, it is a little contradictory to avoid the best part of the game, but like I said before they happen anyways. Even if they don't happen as much, the game will just be super short. One thing I am pumped about too is that the engine to the game is so open and simple. I have mulled over a lot of different alternate themes to use the system for. Themes, where average events are neutral or even good.

Thank for the tip about PnPfronts.pdf. I'll get right on that. And thanks for your feedback. You have lots of good points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.