District-Z: The Cult» Forums » General

Subject: Game in general rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gene Pribula
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
Game looks like a perfect solitaire game in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gpribula wrote:

I agree, but I'd still like to see a gameplay video before the campaign ends. This is the first D-Z game I'm getting and I'm not a fan of the first two.

I'm really hoping the mechanics back up the story telling parts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Aigner
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just found the game myself and it realy looks pretty nice for a solo game and like it's a good fit for my collection.

MAJBrown22 wrote:
gpribula wrote:

I'm really hoping the mechanics back up the story telling parts.

That are exactly my thoughts

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris britton
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
I wouldn't mind seeing custom items as an add on pledge to the game. I think it might pump up pledges. IE, that favorite weapon or item you might want to have with you on your journey.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My name is
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can someone explain the 3 games (DZ, Slaughterville and The cult) in a solo perspective?

Are they related?
Are they all worth it?

Is the last one, alone, replacing the others for solo plays or are they all three very different or, even maybe, are they adding materials for a more meaty experience (more character cards,etc...)?

I'm not looking for a heavy game but I just not want to feel like the game has been exhausted after 10 sessions.
I liked what I saw about the solo variant of District Z but it seemed very light with little hope for replayability.

I'm looking for a (medium to) light solo game but with options and replayability.

I see that the three games are available with the last kickstarter and I would like to know if I should go for the Cult only or if I should pledge the whole thing as a solo gamer.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kitkat Denchy
msg tools
Haven't played DZ in a while, but you did say you saw something on the solo play.

Slaughterville is very...VERY replay able! Mix of different locations and different villain types, all with different win conditions. I don't usually play that solo, but they went the extra mile and even have a solo version of Jack the Ripper, which is played more as a guess which of the players is really the villain. Haven't tried that solo, but had loads of fun in a group. The solo rules do look interesting. Solo play on the other villains work well. It is nice to read all the story and not have to wait for other players. Can be more difficult or easier, depending on which villain you are playing against.

The cult... We will have to hear from the creators. What I can tell you is:
It is a prequel for the original DZ.
It is a stand alone game and does not require the original DZ
It is a choose your own adventure story requiring dice to pass attribute checks. I would assume choosing a different check would take you in a different direction, as well as (as is usual for me) failing checks would take you in a different direction than if it was passed.

Where Slaughterville puts you in an old B horror movie, it looks like the cult puts you in the Blair witch, with apparently a cult and(one would assume in a DZ world) zombies.

I hope either Chris or George could answer since they know better.
Hope I helped at least a little.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My name is
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you very much for your reply.

I made my homework and researched a bit about the games.
I also got my hands on a copy of Slaughterville via the internet and i'm waiting for it to arrive :-)

Yes, I saw a video from the "lonesome gamer" related to the solo variant of DZ.
I really don't know what to think about this one...

Somehow, it's exactly that KIND of game I'm looking for right now. But, the options the player has are just non existent.
If only it had some. Not many, just some.
I "need" to scratch that itch and three games are offering this kind of experience, as far as I know:

- Chainsaw Warrior
- The Isle of Dr Necreaux
- District Z

Chainsaw Warrior: love the theme, love the look, love the retro style and love the options you have (not many but some).
What i don't like is the fact that it's almost impossible to win (but I'm ok with that) but mostly the fact that your stats are random and if you start with some bad dice rolling, you are sure you won't make it before you even started. For me, that's a major bug as the game is decided the first minute.
Another thing: the footprint of the game is huge, for what it is.

The Isle of Dr Necreaux: same thing than Chainsaw Warrior but the theme is lame and the design doesn't appeal to me at all.

District-Z: I LOVE the photographs. I like the atmosphere. But the absolute lack of options in the solo variant makes me believe that it will be played once.
The theme and gameplay of District-z with the options of Chainsaw Warrior (the way weapons, pills and clothes help you mitigate the results and allow you a thin layer of strategy) and you have it: my perfect solo filler.

Maybe there is more to it but the video I saw clearly shows that the solo variant plays you way way more than you play it.

And I'm really on the fence about the Cult. The "choose your own adventure" kind of game is not what I'm looking for. I don't know how it plays and I don't know how repayable it is.
I'm still waiting for a video or a review to make up my mind.

But my most concern is about DZ: it's almost what I'm looking for: A light, beautiful and portable solo card game which doesn't require that much brain power.
For me, it's kind of a pocket Slaughterville or Chainsaw Warrior.
But it lacks the options (according to what I saw) and, therefore, the incentive to play it more than once or twice.

Even though, it's not very expensive and i could take it just for the sake of it. But the shipping costs to Europe won't make it worth it. For that total price, I need to be sure of the investment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Brown
United States
Pine Grove
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Wanted to post here that the review is up and ready.

https://boardgamegeek.com/video/108796

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My name is
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!

I just want to add, even if it's obvious, that what I said about DZ is completely based on:

-the solo variant only (which is not the same as the multiplayer mode)
-the video I saw of how DZ plays (it's just a snapshot of the game and I can't say I know every subtlety of the game based on what I saw)
-My personal preferences and expectations.

I'm sure this game would be a perfect hit for many people.
In fact, it's almost a perfect hit for me.

This is absolutely not a review of DZ, just me wondering if I should take it or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kitkat Denchy
msg tools
Well, I hope you do decide to grab a copy. I think you will be happy with your purchase.

You seem to be trying to talk yourself into it. I say, better to try it and not be thrilled, than to miss it and not be able to find a copy when you feel like playing. I doubt you will dislike it, based on what you said before.

Hey, if it's here before Christmas, and you don't care for it, I'm sure it will make a great gift.

Whatever you choose, I hope you have fun! Happy gaming!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My name is
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretending to myself that I'm still not sure while my mind is already made up is part of the fun. Don't spoil it ;-)

No, seriously, I still don't know.
I have bought several games this month and paid almost the same amount just in shipping fees (not to mention the 21% border taxes that I might have to pay later).
I have choices to make.
Two months later and the KS would have been a no brainer.

Anyway, thumbs up for these games and company.
I didn't want to sound so critical. I was just wondering. The games really seem great.
Kudos to the designer(s)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kitkat Denchy
msg tools
I thought Europe shipping was only $9.

Also, I saw the shipping company will reimburse anyone that is charged a customs fee or VAT. Would that not include your boarder tax?

Wow 21% boarder tax. Ouch!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris britton
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
I don't have slaughterville, but as to DZ. it's very, very replayable. tons of replay options... campaign even...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.