Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Reid
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I realize that this is only loosely connected to boardgames, but I've been through several threads asking "What should I read?" or "What should I watch?" when it comes to getting more into the Lovecraftian games, so I thought I'd throw out a new recommendation.

"Stranger Things" on Netflix definitely gave me that "feel" that comes along with these games. I don't want to say much as I don't wish to spoil anything, but I thought the Eldritch Horror crowd would dig it. Plenty of weirdness and characters brought to the brink of insanity. I broke out Eldritch the first chance I got after binge watching the series.

Oh, and "In the Mouth of Madness" was solid too. Lots of nods to Lovecraft's stories.

Please share some of your favorites with me.

And no, I am not an employee or advertiser for Netflix.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andy scott
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Loved it! and the music!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P.
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the Mouth of Madness is my favorite Lovecraftian movie. I like it more than the attempts to use HPL's stories as the basis of movies.

Clearly the Duffer brothers read a few Lovecraft stories...great show. I played the new Mansions of Madness solo during breaks while I was binging Stranger Things last weekend. A perfectly horror-ridden two days.

devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Texas / Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If there was a surprise hit "TV" series of the summer, Stranger Things is it. Netflix is even advertising it during other TV programs now. Great cast, including Winona Ryder.

As for Lovecraftian films, I'll mention one fairly recent one, Die Farbe, English title The Color Out of Space. I guess you could call it a German film partially in English, based on HPL's short story.

I mention this film also because it's director, Huan Vu, has crowdsourced another film adaptation, The Dreamlands. That's not an easy undertaking, but from the most recent update, it looks like the stars will be right next year (2017).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe D
msg tools
mbmb
Terrific show. Basically a homage to 1980s Steven Spielberg / Stephen King.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Darrin
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bassoon201 wrote:
Loved it! and the music!

The music is definitely some of the best I've heard in any TV series, or film for that matter. You can download the whole series soundtrack on iTunes which would make for great horror gaming ambience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaggy Bob
Australia
flag msg tools
I binge watched it a few weeks ago. Loved it. I got a Stephen King / Spielberg vibe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P.
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
arkhamnative wrote:
If there was a surprise hit "TV" series of the summer, Stranger Things is it. Netflix is even advertising it during other TV programs now. Great cast, including Winona Ryder.

As for Lovecraftian films, I'll mention one fairly recent one, Die Farbe, English title The Color Out of Space. I guess you could call it a German film partially in English, based on HPL's short story.

I mention this film also because it's director, Huan Vu, has crowdsourced another film adaptation, The Dreamlands. That's not an easy undertaking, but from the most recent update, it looks like the stars will be right next year (2017).

You're right, Chris. That is a good film. I think it is free to watch on Amazon Prime, or it was a year ago. I like how they moved the setting to Germany.

The HPLHS Call of Cthulhu has its positive moments as well...and I saw a low budget indy on Pickmans Model a year or two ago that was OK. It seems to me that the lower budget, independant approach to Lovecraft movies have gotten it right more than some of the big film productions.

A few years ago I thought that might change when Guillermo del Toro was planning a big budget Mountains of Madness film, but when he saw the Ridley Scott film Prometheus that came out in 2012, he cancelled his project stating that Scott had just done Mountains of Madness; only it was moved to a different planet and had a Sci-Fi setting applied to it. Sigh...

Forgive me, all, for rambling for too long about this subject. Clearly, I think about it a wee bit too much - for it is the Road to Madness!
laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E.

Virginia
msg tools
mb
I for one enjoyed watching some hot Dimensional Shambler action on the screen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
arkhamnative wrote:

One of the few things she's been in recently that I've really liked. She plays the crazied old mom really well.

As for Stranger Things, I never really got a Cthulu vibe. More of a Goonies meets Poltergeist vibe. Actually, now that I think about it, it had bits of all my childhood that I loved (Goonies, Poltergeist, E.T., D.a.r.y.l., and some Twilight Zones), probably why it came off so well. Hitting all us 30-40 somethings nostalgia bone.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want the feeling of ordinary people faced with other worldly creatures and a real end of the world vibe, I would recommend The Mist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reid
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
MasterDinadan wrote:
If you want the feeling of ordinary people faced with other worldly creatures and a real end of the world vibe, I would recommend The Mist.

Oh man, that ending. I didn't like the creature designs though. The loading dock scene and their drive was cool, but they really held back artistically with the bugs and spiders. Come on! They're from some unknown dimension! Let your imagination run wild. Making already creepy things bigger is just lazy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
England
Hull
East Riding of Yorkshire
flag msg tools
But we have to change the rules because Monopoly's so boring!
mbmbmbmbmb

Loved this series.

I don't really watch much TV (being a gamer, I spend a lot of time gaming and learning rules etc) although when I do, they tend to be the Fantasy/ Horror Genre, like the compulsory Game of Thrones or Walking Dead and currently after burning through Stranger Things, I've been watching Jordskott, on a friends recommendation. The same friend recommended "True Detective" as a Cthulian themed series, so that is next on my list.

I'm 48 and straight away Stranger Things grabbed me with memories of The Goonies and Poltergeist. The Shadow Realm reminded me of the video game Silent Hill as well as my own imaginings from my D&D games of my youth.

All the child actors and actors generally in it were fantastic and I really enjoyed the music.

The pace of the story was a refreshing change from the treacle that is the Walking Dead, (that I should have stopped watching in series 2 but persist since I'm an original Fulci/Romero fanboy.)

Anyway if they do a second series, I just hope they don't spoil it like most American shows seem to do (Heroes, The Strain, Dark Skies, The Dome, and of course the worst crime of all was Twin Peaks)

If they do a series 2, I will definitely be watching it, not least because Charlie Heaton who played Jonathon in the series, is my Missus's cousin. So I'm really hoping for his sake, they do the next series justice and they don't emulate previous successful shows and turn it into a train wreck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C David Dent
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chainsaw_ash wrote:
The same friend recommended "True Detective" as a Cthulian themed series, so that is next on my list.

Speaking of bad second seasons avoid Season 2 of True Detective.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reid
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
chainsaw_ash wrote:

Anyway if they do a second series, I just hope they don't spoil it like most American shows seem to do (Heroes, The Strain, Dark Skies, The Dome, and of course the worst crime of all was Twin Peaks)

If they do a series 2, I will definitely be watching it, not least because Charlie Heaton who played Jonathon in the series, is my Missus's cousin. So I'm really hoping for his sake, they do the next series justice and they don't emulate previous successful shows and turn it into a train wreck.

Here here. I'll throw Lost in with that bunch too. So many series aren't written with any kind of story arc in mind. Each episode ends with a cliffhanger to keep the audience engaged while the writers dig themselves into a deeper hole. I seldom watch any TV series until its run is complete for this reason. Breaking Bad nailed it, but still these networks want shows that run for 20 plus years, plot be damned.

It would probably upset people, but I'd be fine with Stranger Things having an all new cast and setting next time out. Damn, those kids had some acting chops though. Please pass my compliments on to your cousin-in-law. Such a nuanced and subtle performance from him that created a wonderfully layered character. Bravo!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Mercer
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I still maintain that Heroes would have been far better if they switched out cast each series, kind of series one is what's happening in NY, series 2 is meanwhile, in Chicago... and then maybe for the 4th/5th season tie it all together.

Anyway, I could see either way for Stranger Things. The ending made me think they had definate plans for a second season, involving at least part of the same cast. It may be interesting to psych people out and start with completely different people and then bring some/all the original cast in mid-season?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfie
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had the same thought about a new setting and characters, and was disappointed when I heard they were going to pick up with the same characters again. I feel it'll be stretching the story quite a bit to continue with this group, and the 2nd season will be weaker as a result. No offense to the actors, who did a great job, it's just that pushing this same storyline will result in a weaker overall story.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Hammons
United States
Santa Monica
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cabin in the Woods had some nice Lovecraftian references, though the movie was more comedy than horror.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
magicbus1966 wrote:
Cabin in the Woods had some nice Lovecraftian references, though the movie was more comedy than horror.

It was?

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Vanschooren
Belgium
Beringen
Limburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
magicbus1966 wrote:

For me most horror is more comedy then horror.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reid
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
magicbus1966 wrote:

It was?

-shnar

I'd call it tongue-in-cheek or dark humor, but yeah, I got some laughs from it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
burningecho wrote:
shnar wrote:
magicbus1966 wrote:

It was?

-shnar

I'd call it tongue-in-cheek or dark humor, but yeah, I got some laughs from it.

Oh sure it had some great moments, break up the tension (best horror usually does), but it was definitely a horror movie, and definitely not more comedy than horror. In fact, partly because of Mansions of Madness and partly because of Dead by Daylight, I watched it again yesterday. Fantastic movie, and it's got some great horror.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Holzhauer
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
Building the perfect game collection for our growing family
badge
Who knew Euro games could be thematic?
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting...I would definitely call it more comedy than horror. I don't want to spoil anything, but the comic relief character was pervasive, and the side story, which spilled consistently into the main story, was almost entirely comedy.

It's not slapstick comedy or anything; it was a very smart parody of the subgenre.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dojogrant wrote:
Interesting...I would definitely call it more comedy than horror. I don't want to spoil anything, but the comic relief character was pervasive, and the side story, which spilled consistently into the main story, was almost entirely comedy.

It's not slapstick comedy or anything; it was a very smart parody of the subgenre.

But that's what made the movie so great. It was a commentary on almost every single horror movie created to date. Giving a reason for such movies to even exist. And the added touches of comedy were perfect pacing, giving a light moment just before a dark moment, to highlight and contrast the two A little humor tends to make the horror even more horrific. Kind of like Sean of the Dead (though that was going for more comedy than horror methinks).

Actually, Sean of the Dead is a good comparison. A definite comedy horror, and I would not put Cabin In The Woods in the same category. Cabin was more a horror film with comedy, while Sean was a comedic horror film (is that makes any sense).

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Sena
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Stranger Things was awesome.

It reminded me far more of Dean R Koontz then Stephen King.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.