Popular Tags: [View All]
Michel Claussmann
Germany
Siegen
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone,

on Tuesday MoM arrived finally at my home in Germany (I could not wait for the German version in November) and I finished my first game of MoM yesterday. What a great game! Ready to go after 10 minutes of rules and very smooth gameplay using the app. Lots of flavor and atmosphere. Only negative point so far is the base system for the miniatures, but I will leave that discussion for other threads.

I was playing the first scenario solo with two investigators. After exploring for a while I managed to grab the needed evidence to leave the mansion, but on the way out one of my investigators became insane. There was no way to fulfill his insane condition and live, with that many monsters around.
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Grabbing all of the exploration tokens on the board.

So the second investigator went to the foyer and exited with the evidence, making the game a win generally.

So with one investigator winning and one loosing (playing solo), how do you rule the game? Is it only a win, if all investigators win, or a half win, or... ?

Looking forward to my next run, hopefully with a full win

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikkel Øberg
Denmark
Virum
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You lost. Completely.

Edit: And by the way, Cthulhu won. Utterly. World destruction and all that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnson
Australia
SOUTH PERTH
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One investigator lost, and one investigator won.

And i guess you, the player, go insane from the paradox.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Johnsson
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Two investigators entered the mansion..
one investigator came back out.

The question is, in the end, was it worth it for the investigator who made it out to finish the investigation, when he had to sacrifice his partner to do so?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baker Odom
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Forget what these guys say. Here's the real question you have to consider...

What is?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Leo
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
thebaker1983 wrote:

What is?

Well, that depends on what the definition of "is" is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baker Odom
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
quasistellar wrote:
thebaker1983 wrote:

What is?

Well, that depends on what the definition of "is" is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego

New Kensington
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played Cycles of Eternity solo this morning and one of my investigators had the card needed to win and moved towards the front having had to make two separate "evade" checks and the other investigate left behind to deal with 5 monsters and they survived the entire Mythos phase! The next investigator phase my investigator who had the winning card made it out the door but leaving behind a seriously wounded investigator who surely would not be able to make it through another Mythos phase.

Thematically, I felt like I lost but via the game rules, I won.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Cantor
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think a "win" in a Lovecraft game in which you escape with the evidence while leaving your partner insane and alone strikes me as all that unusual.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are uncomfortable with the idea of half wins, here's how I would rule it:

If the investigation is completed and you satisfied all insane cards, you won.

If you failed to satisfy the insane cards, I'd count it as a loss, even though it would be a half win in a two player game. If you count it as a win, then the insane cards serve no purpose,

If you complete the investigation and an investigator was eliminated, I'd count it as a win even though it would be a half-win in a two player game. F you counted it as a loss, playing after elimination would be pointless.

But I'd still consider the eliminated investigator's insane card if applicable (so you can't just kill one off to avoid doing the extra win condition)

This seems the most reasonable to me. Yes, it means one investigator may go out of his way to help the other investigator satisfy his insane card, which may not happen in a 2-player game, but the fact that you HAVE to satisfy it to count it as a win of any kind is sort of a balance against the increased coordination of controlling both investigators.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
NoFunAtAll
Belgium
Antwerp
flag msg tools
John Coltrane: My Favorite Things // Jackie Mclean: Swing Swang Swingin' // Clifford Jordan: Cliff Craft // Sam Rivers: Fuchsia Swing Song
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to hijack this trainwreck and ask a question concerning adjusting the difficulty;

If I play solo and choose 3 investigators to play in stead of 2, does the game scale or does it become easier?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Velox
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
The way I see it, the game starts with you either all winning or all losing. But once someone grabs an Insane card, then the rules change based on who's allowed to win or lose. But the main game trait still applies... if one investigator, insane or not, dies, then ALL investigators have one final investigator phase to win, or everyone loses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve R Bullock
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Nofunatalll wrote:
I'm going to hijack this trainwreck and ask a question concerning adjusting the difficulty;

If I play solo and choose 3 investigators to play in stead of 2, does the game scale or does it become easier?

Good question. I have no idea.

Try playing it with two Investigators, then three. You will come up with an answer you can share with the rest of us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michel Claussmann
Germany
Siegen
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the life points of the monsters scale, but I am not 100 % sure.

Wow that was a lot of response for my question. It surely didn't feel like a full win, but for a mythos game it was not the usual world ending loss.

So instead of going insane I better go and play again. goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Colm
msg tools
mbmb
Yes, the game scales.

Increasing the number of investigators increases the number of life points (Health) of the monsters, making them harder to kill. Also the App seems to bring out tougher monsters overall.

The above is definite. More speculatively I've also gotten the impression that with more investigators you are hit with nastier Mythos effects earlier.

Whether the number of player affects the game timer (a hidden factor, determining game events and sometimes having an effect on objectives)I haven't determined. one would have to experiment by playing with different numbers and counting turns to see when game events happen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.