Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules say:
City Event
The starting player reveals the top card from the City
deck, and each player follows its instructions in turn
order. Place it in the discard pile when completed.

and then play continues on to the "Play events" phase. However, in the glossary, the City Event entry indicates that City Events can be blocked by Player's event cards. When does the player get to play those blocking cards? During the City Event part, as it goes around or during the Play events phase?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gergo Tothmihaly
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
Mage Tools for Android
mbmbmb
Afaik, a City Event card is played from the City Event deck and then players can play Event cards from their hand (previously drawn form the Event deck). You can block Event cards played by other players but not the City Event.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Desiree Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tmgergo wrote:
Afaik, a City Event card is played from the City Event deck and then players can play Event cards from their hand (previously drawn form the Event deck). You can block Event cards played by other players but not the City Event.

from the Glossery:
"City event – Each round a City card is revealed and
played. These are events which are initiated by the City,
not by any player. Any cards which talk about events,
particularly blocking those events, work equally well on
City events as on regular player-initiated events
." [bolding mine]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Finch
Australia
Carindale
QLD
flag msg tools
designer
My hat? Definitely not a mind-control alien, no.
mbmbmbmbmb
DragonsDream wrote:
In the glossary, the City Event entry indicates that City Events can be blocked by Player's event cards. When does the player get to play those blocking cards?

Blocking cards are all reactions, rather than regular events played in the normal turn order - they must to used immediately at the time the original event takes place, whether it's a City Event or an event played from the hand, or an ability from a card.

Is there a way we could word the blocking cards that would make that more clear?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Desiree Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
joelfinch wrote:
DragonsDream wrote:
In the glossary, the City Event entry indicates that City Events can be blocked by Player's event cards. When does the player get to play those blocking cards?

Blocking cards are all reactions, rather than regular events played in the normal turn order - they must to used immediately at the time the original event takes place, whether it's a City Event or an event played from the hand, or an ability from a card.

Is there a way we could word the blocking cards that would make that more clear?
ok, so blocking an event isn't a regular "play an event" card action? I didn't get that from my reading, although I may have just missed it. Hmmm... let me check to see what make that clearer to me
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Desiree Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, I re-read the section on event cards and yes, in the heading "Play Events" (after the City Events section) there is this:

EVENT TYPES:
Some events have a type, such as
Intrusion, Inspection, or City Planning. Announce the
type when you play that event. Other players may block
it from affecting them if they have a suitable defense.

Perhaps adding a line "blocking an event (either from the city or another player) does not count as an action" so that it's clear this can be done to either type and immediately upon the event being played without counting as your turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Finch
Australia
Carindale
QLD
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
DragonsDream wrote:
Perhaps adding a line "blocking an event (either from the city or another player) does not count as an action" so that it's clear this can be done to either type and immediately upon the event being played without counting as your turn.

No problem, I'll reword in the rulebook to make that clearer. Thanks for the feedback!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gergo Tothmihaly
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
Mage Tools for Android
mbmbmb
Thanks! It seems I did misunderstand this from the review I read.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Desiree Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
joelfinch wrote:
DragonsDream wrote:

No problem, I'll reword in the rulebook to make that clearer. Thanks for the feedback!

Correct me if I'm wrong...
there are 3 "blocking" event cards - Powerful Friends (blocks City Planning), Security Guards (blocks Intrusion) and Safety Certificate (blocks Inspection).
Would it be possible to mark those cards with a "block" icon or something? (in my head I'm imagining a big "Denied!" word bubble)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Finch
Australia
Carindale
QLD
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
By happy coincidence, I'm working on some icons for attacking and defending events tonight!

We're also looking at changing "City Planning" to "Injunction" instead, because we've had a few cases of people confusing the City deck with City Planning events, so I want to avoid the overlap in their names.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Long
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
joelfinch wrote:
We're also looking at changing "City Planning" to "Injunction" instead, because we've had a few cases of people confusing the City deck with City Planning events, so I want to avoid the overlap in their names.

And you want them all to begin with I ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Long
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DragonsDream wrote:
joelfinch wrote:
DragonsDream wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong...
there are 3 "blocking" event cards - Powerful Friends (blocks City Planning), Security Guards (blocks Intrusion) and Safety Certificate (blocks Inspection).
Would it be possible to mark those cards with a "block" icon or something? (in my head I'm imagining a big "Denied!" word bubble)

I like your icon idea - "talk to the hand"!

Don't forget the Junior Executive, a staff member which can block 1 City Planning event. I tend to view them as blockable Events (City, Event Card and Park card effects) that are categorised as
* Intrusion
* Inspection or
* City Planning

The defense cards (Event Cards and Park cards) will state what category they block. That way it includes future Park cards or Event cards that may block those events too.

For all other Events, please see Instant Karma...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Finch
Australia
Carindale
QLD
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Befefig wrote:

Well, I wanted something shorter than Bureaucracy anyway (which I always have to check I've spelled correctly).

It's not too late, I'm open to better suggestions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Desiree Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
joelfinch wrote:
Befefig wrote:

Well, I wanted something shorter than Bureaucracy anyway (which I always have to check I've spelled correctly).

It's not too late, I'm open to better suggestions.

I like the symmetry of all the attacks starting with 'I' but I can see how that might be confusing, particularly to people for whom English isn't their first language. Icons would go a long way to alleviating that though. If each attack type has it's own icon and each defense has that icon with a red line through it or something, the names themselves become a little less important.

edit: Another benefit to having attack & block icons is that it is clear what actions are not allowed in a game with World Peace
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Long
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see why this designing business is tough - its got to have the sense of an deliberate act as well as something you can defend against.

Here are the alternative wors I can come up with. but I don't think any of them quite suit.
* Red Tape
* Legal
* Compliance
* Regulation
* By-law
* Paperwork
* Administration

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.