Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zenvious
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is based purely on my study of the game components for a 3-player game.

Currently there are 27 Systems (30 including the homeworlds), making 9 Systems per player in the game. From this I assume each new Faction will likely come with 9 new Systems so there is an equal amount of “space” for each faction to discover (as each player also increase the playing area/ radius if going by the recommended setup).

Of these 27 systems there are also 6 Phenomena – again 2 Pheneomena per player. Thus I assume this will also be the divide in the new systems – 7 Planets + 2 Phenomena.

Furthermore (provided I’ve done my math correctly), there is a total of:
• 20 Production Nodes/ 6.6 per player
• 10 Research Nodes/ 3.3 per player
• 9 Culture Nodes/ 3 per player
• 6 White Nodes/ 2 per player
• 45 Total Nodes/ 15 Nodes per player
This suggests that of the new systems, 3 will have Culture Nodes, 2 will have White Nodes, and Production and Research Nodes will come at a ratio of either 7/3 or 6/4 (probably 7/3 for one expansion, and 6/4 for the following maybe).

Also, no planet has both a Culture AND a White Node (aka you cannot have 2 Culture Nodes on a single planet – which makes sense as those would give a massive tactical advantage towards earning Ascendency).

This ratio would create a degree of balance when playing with all factions (ignoring the fact Systems are drawn randomly – thus making it possible for one player to have a TONE of Production, while another is swimming in Surplus Culture); keeping a somewhat consistent amount of Nodes per player in any game.

As to what systems this would create, that remains to be seen. I suspect at least 1 new system will have 2 Production Nodes (so the 5 Planets that have that already don’t become overly precious mining colonies), but beyond that I can only imagine.

Regardless, I thought this an interesting observation other people might be equally curious in noticing – that there seem to be a slightly established pattern in what Nodes exist in game to the player Ratio.

Any thoughts on this? Ideas on what new Systems you’d like to see appear? Put em below. I’m curious to read
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is interesting information for sure; thanks. One must keep in mind that the Exploration Card drawn for each system greatly impacts the degree of access a player will have to those nodes! Thus the statistical averages, although I did expect each faction's systems to have a similar distribution as you show here, have far less meaning, as greater anomalies are created by the cards. This has certainly proved true in my first three games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gale Force Nine LLC
United States
Earlysville
Virginia
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Great observations Zen! Both the Cardassian and Ferengi expansions will add nine new systems to the game (in addition to a tenth system for the civilization’s home system).

Because we used some of the systems from the Cardassian expansion in our events at Gen Con, we thought you’d all like an exclusive look at some of the new wrinkles to the game’s System Discs.

Bajor will be a galactic flashpoint as soon as it’s discovered in the game. Bajor will be the only system in the game to-date that has both a Culture Capacity and an Open Capacity.

In addition, Phenomena in the player expansions will have additional effects in the game. Each of the new Phenomena will have an additional rule or effect printed on the disc itself that will come into play during the game.

Expect a closer look at the contents of the Cardassian player expansion at http://startrek.gf9games.com/ when we get closer to the expansion’s release window later this year!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zenvious
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First up, WOW! I GOT A RESPONCE FROM GF9! Loved your work with Firefly and Spartacus. I eagerly look forward to your results with this one (which, from my studies so far, look to be your best designed game to date!)

Gale Force Nine wrote:
Great observations Zen! Both the Cardassian and Ferengi expansions will add nine new systems to the game (in addition to a tenth system for the civilization’s home system).

Because we used some of the systems from the Cardassian expansion in our events at Gen Con, we thought you’d all like an exclusive look at some of the new wrinkles to the game’s System Discs.

Bajor will be a galactic flashpoint as soon as it’s discovered in the game. Bajor will be the only system in the to-date that has both a Culture Capacity and an Open Capacity.

Interesting! I can agree that's going to be quite a fascinating tactical piece if it comes up as a Virgin World (I figure the primitive Warp Capable societies will just pave over the White Node with a Production Factory!)

Gale Force Nine wrote:
In addition, Phenomena in the player expansions will have additional effects in the . Each of the new Phenomena will have an addition rule or effect printed on the disc itself that will come into play during the game.

Expect a closer look at the contents of the Cardassian player expansion at http://startrek.gf9games.com/ when we get closer to the expansion’s release window later this year!

Oh wow! I had actually thought about doing something similar to the pre-existing nodes as a Houserule so they would have some balanced benefit (such as higher Hazard roll can give you 1-2 research depending on the dice result). I am quite interested to see where you take this.

Thankyou kindly for replying!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very neat! I would like to say that even if a warp capable civ builds a production node on the open spot you can always rebuild it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Chew
United States
Concord Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
Attack dog
mbmbmbmbmb
Gale Force Nine wrote:

Bajor will be a galactic flashpoint as soon as it’s discovered in the game. Bajor will be the only system in the game to-date that has both a Culture Capacity and an Open Capacity.

In addition, Phenomena in the player expansions will have additional effects in the game. Each of the new Phenomena will have an addition rule or effect printed on the disc itself that will come into play during the game.

I was about to say I was pretty sure I saw a planet with an open capacity and a culture capacity during my game at GenCon. And then I see this post and remember why. One of the players got Bajor during our game and I, as the Cardassians had to go take it away. Since it belongs to us afterall.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zenvious
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MonkeyKnifeFight wrote:
Gale Force Nine wrote:

In addition, Phenomena in the player expansions will have additional effects in the game. Each of the new Phenomena will have an addition rule or effect printed on the disc itself that will come into play during the game.

I was about to say I was pretty sure I saw a planet with an open capacity and a culture capacity during my game at GenCon. And then I see this post and remember why. One of the players got Bajor during our game and I, as the Cardassians had to go take it away. Since it belongs to us afterall.

Well of course you had to! It was your divine right by genetic superiority! :P

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Miller
Canada
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
Gale Force Nine wrote:

That's hilarious because those backwards fools barely have a culture of their own. Without the Cardassians they would still be living in caves flinging their excrement at one another.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grish
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
"Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life." ♯ ♩ ♫ ♪ - Beethoven
badge
--------ViSiT--------- ---------------------- DockingBay416.com ---------------------- ------for some------ ---------------------- -------STAR--------- -------WARS-------- --------------------- ------l-o-v-e--------
mbmbmbmbmb
you had me until the excrement part

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
At Gen Con we had someone discover The Badlands. Can't remember the exact text but I think ships had to stop when they entered it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat Doyle
United States
Unspecified
Ohio
flag msg tools
yeah, i really wish I had pulled out the camera at Gen Con.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.