Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Hall
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While Viticulture has become a favorite in my family I am always left with a meh feeling when dealing out the field cards. Those 3 cards seem to take away from the board - while the purpose of those cards are great - it just looks sloppy.

Does anyone have an idea on how to replace these cards with a token etc. that would serve the same purpose and keep the player board clean?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Buy Tuscany: Expand the World of Viticulture? whistle

I agree with the complaint. I don't care for the field cards and wish they had stuck with the cardboard counters that Tuscany apparently had.

Hmm...maybe I need to try and cobble together my own counters? Right now, we just leave the cards to the side & grab the appropriate one when a field is sold. So just making a "SOLD" counter should suffice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Canada
Niagara Region & Buffalo
Onatrio & New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

We tuck them under the player boards. I don't like that they slide around, but they look good when turned over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francois L-C
Canada
Near Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What we are doing here is that we put them Sold face up, but we tuck it under the player board at the right position to just show the buy-back value that is in the upper left corner. If we do sell our field, we just slide up the card to show the Sold sign on the card. If we buy it back, we just slide it down to hide the Sold sign. Super easy and better than the original solution in my opinion.

EDIT: Anyhow, since they are not printed exactly right, they don't align on the field drawing, so IMO, it look better this way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Millar
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hallzy wrote:
While Viticulture has become a favorite in my family I am always left with a meh feeling when dealing out the field cards. Those 3 cards seem to take away from the board - while the purpose of those cards are great - it just looks sloppy.

Does anyone have an idea on how to replace these cards with a token etc. that would serve the same purpose and keep the player board clean?

We play w/o them. If someone sells a field, they put a glass bead marker on it to indicate it was sold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francois L-C
Canada
Near Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dmillar71 wrote:
We play w/o them. If someone sells a field, they put a glass bead marker on it to indicate it was sold.

It work too. But I wish that Stonemaier Games had just made a small "Sold Sign" cardboard token for this purpose, as this would have work great and IMO is a simpler solution (just put 12 identical sold tokens per game (as no need for more) instead of 18 cards of 3 different types, and no need to make sure the picture match the board.). I will probably make myself some because I like the idea, but for now I'll use the method I describe in my last post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy R
United States
Germantown
Ohio
flag msg tools
Nothing but the rain.
badge
Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends dimensions of time and space.
mbmbmbmbmb
Cerberus777 wrote:
What we are doing here is that we put them Sold face up, but we tuck it under the player board at the right position to just show the buy-back value that is in the upper left corner. If we do sell our field, we just slide up the card to show the Sold sign on the card. If we buy it back, we just slide it down to hide the Sold sign. Super easy and better than the original solution in my opinion.

EDIT: Anyhow, since they are not printed exactly right, they don't align on the field drawing, so IMO, it look better this way.

I'm going to have to borrow this idea. I've never really liked the ways the cards sit in relation to the rest of the board but this sounds like a great solution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Considering the amazing quality of Stonemeier's games in general, I'm still surprised they chose to go with cards instead of tiles on this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ParisianDreams
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use the smaller cardboard cards that came in Tuscany. I know the flip side has a printing error on it but I prefer these over the cards in Viticulture EE.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Molokov (AU)
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ayejae wrote:
Considering the amazing quality of Stonemeier's games in general, I'm still surprised they chose to go with cards instead of tiles on this one.

As already mentioned in this thread, they are tiles in Tuscany, just not in Viticulture EE. Probably saved a bit on printing cost, without the need for another punchboard

ParisPink wrote:
I use the smaller cardboard cards that came in Tuscany. I know the flip side has a printing error on it but I prefer these over the cards in Viticulture EE.

You can get stickers to fix the misprints - I think they're in the BGG store.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Molokov wrote:
ayejae wrote:

As already mentioned in this thread, they are tiles in Tuscany, just not in Viticulture EE. Probably saved a bit on printing cost, without the need for another punchboard

I've no doubt it was cost-saving measure. But considering this is meant to be the definitive version going forward, along with Tuscany EE, I shouldn't have to purchase an older version to get the tiles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
It was not a cost-savings decision. It was a size-of-box decision in relation to the Viticulture Essential Upgrade Pack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:
It was not a cost-savings decision. It was a size-of-box decision in relation to the Viticulture Essential Upgrade Pack.

Oh interesting. So all you people upgrading from previous versions screwed this all up? arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mb
ayejae wrote:
But considering this is meant to be the definitive version going forward, along with Tuscany EE, I shouldn't have to purchase an older version to get the tiles.

Agree.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hall
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Really good suggestions.

No - I don't think I will buy the Tuscany add on, when I already have the EE. Waste of money.

Between the suggestions and maybe printing my own 'tiles' and laminating them - things will work out.

Its truly a 1% problem whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hallzy wrote:
Really good suggestions.

No - I don't think I will buy the Tuscany add on, when I already have the EE. Waste of money.

Between the suggestions and maybe printing my own 'tiles' and laminating them - things will work out.

Its truly a 1% problem whistle

Pretty sure my life won't be complete knowing there are tiles out there that I will never have. What's the point anymore? cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn George
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
"It's all right up to the eyebrows, then it just goes haywire! Look at the eyebrows. These are attack eyebrows. You can take bottle tops off with these!"
badge
Trust your Doctor.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't mind that they're cards instead of tiles, I just wish that they had been shorter cards that didn't hang off the top of the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francois L-C
Canada
Near Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Putts wrote:
I don't mind that they're cards instead of tiles, I just wish that they had been shorter cards that didn't hang off the top of the board.

That's why we tuck them Sold Sign up under the board and just slide them up when we sold our field. We didn't like either that they hand off the board, because this made the whole thing a bit fiddly to use (because it always move).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We tuck them under, too, otherwise they move around and get mixed up with the vines.

Would be awesome if they were tiles and the board was double-layered with insets for the tiles. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.