Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Rakestraw
United States
Mcdonough
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is anyone playing with two core sets. Guy in my group wants to buy another copy of the base game so that it can play more people. The game is not hitting the table because of being 3 player only.

Having duplicate planets among other things doesn't make thematic sense.

Is anyone playing this way? Would it break the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Preder
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Straw Dawg wrote:
Is anyone playing with two core sets. Guy in my group wants to buy another copy of the base game so that it can play more people. The game is not hitting the table because of being 3 player only.

Having duplicate planets among other things doesn't make thematic sense.

I think this would be incredibly confusing and potentially gamebreaking unless you could modify the ships to keep track of them. I'd suggest just waiting for the expansions to do this. Sounds like we should have 2 more factions by the end of the year anyhow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
if you put a distinguishing paint mark on the ships, you could indeed play with 2 players of the same faction.

i dont think the duplicate planets would bother much, maybe at first but not after a few plays where they tend to become generic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great, I just sold my extra copy yesterday. Oh well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shelby Babb
United States
Springdale
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Straw Dawg wrote:

I don't think it'd break the game, but it doesn't sound fun either.

Essentially, you've either got:

1) Three teams of two. In this scenario, you'll need to decide if advancements are shared or not, trade agreements are shared or not (and I'd assume they could only be made with another civilization!), and who gets what from planets and colonies. And that's the obvious stuff.
2) Six individuals. In this scenario, you'll need to mark ships/planets/etc. so that (for example) Fed 1 has Earth 1 and Fed 2 has Earth 2. Not only will this harm resell value, but it'll make each player feel like they're fighting someone very "samey".

Either solution should be obsolete in a few months anyway, once expansions allow for more players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Preder
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
San Dee Jota wrote:
Straw Dawg wrote:

I don't think it'd break the game, but it doesn't sound fun either.

Essentially, you've either got:

1) Three teams of two. In this scenario, you'll need to decide if advancements are shared or not, trade agreements are shared or not (and I'd assume they could only be made with another civilization!), and who gets what from planets and colonies. And that's the obvious stuff.
2) Six individuals. In this scenario, you'll need to mark ships/planets/etc. so that (for example) Fed 1 has Earth 1 and Fed 2 has Earth 2. Not only will this harm resell value, but it'll make each player feel like they're fighting someone very "samey".

Either solution should be obsolete in a few months anyway, once expansions allow for more players.

Agreed, "break" was too strong a word. Your points are much more valid and reasonable. In my book, those items "break" the game enough for me never to want to play it that way though, so I guess that's why I used the term.

Can't wait for the expansions. I've only played once, and it was a great, thematic experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Godwin
msg tools
mbmb
When/If I get a second copy I plan to just have 2 games running. You can have the different group play together tangentially. I.e. Whichever species have the most wins between the 2-3 games gets a prize!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i dont think you need to mark the planets in any way, your home planet should be located in front of you so it should be clear which one is yours.

if the player setup is in sequence (romulan-federation-klingon-romulan-federation-klingon), you can ensure, that your neighbours do not play the same faction as you, so you keep the variation. only in the middle of the board could doubles meet up.

you could even setup the board a bit like a racetrack, making the middle of the board impassable, then chances of doubles meeting would be very limited.

for trade agreements, its sufficient to put either different sleeves or a piece of paper in the sleeve to show the owner, not on the cards themselves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Godwin
msg tools
mbmb
And if no one wants to damage their parts one player could just always put thier ships and control nodes upsides down or on thier side. The opponents could just be "mirror" factions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.