$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 106.89

6,657 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
41.9% of Goal | left

Support:

Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Deep Sea Adventure» Forums » Variants

Subject: Turn Order Issues rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Lott
United States
Little Elm
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a light game, I get it, but I see three big problems with this game.

1. Turn order doesn't rotate.

2. No scalability for number of players.

3. No catch up mechanic.

And what's worse, they compound each other. For example, going last in a 6 player game REALLY sucks. You're almost guaranteed to have fewer actions than the guy who goes first.

Easy fix? How about this:

Each player chooses their turn order in the next round based on lowest score choosing first. Ties are broken in favor of whoever went later in the previous round.

Thoughts?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Court Marley
United States
West Allis
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I disagree, and am wondering if perhaps you missed a few rules?

Going last in a 6-player game actually has a huge advantage, as you get to skip over any spot with an explorer on it. If I get to jump over 5 other players, I'm most certainly going to get down further than anyone else on the first turn, and therefore have a better chance of getting a higher value treasure.

Also, the last person to make it make to the sub goes first in the next round. That should rotate a bit, unless one person is always more gutsy than everyone else.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Lott
United States
Little Elm
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
snowden27 wrote:
I disagree, and am wondering if perhaps you missed a few rules?

Going last in a 6-player game actually has a huge advantage, as you get to skip over any spot with an explorer on it. If I get to jump over 5 other players, I'm most certainly going to get down further than anyone else on the first turn, and therefore have a better chance of getting a higher value treasure.

Also, the last person to make it make to the sub goes first in the next round. That should rotate a bit, unless one person is always more gutsy than everyone else.


Fair enough. But wouldn't adding my variant on turn order still be a positive thing? If you think it's good to go last, and you are last in points, you can still choose to go last.

The way I see it is that going last is a trap. You go deeper than everyone else, but then on the next turn everyone heads for the surface. It'll be difficult to catch them unless someone rolled poorly and or you roll really well.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Court Marley
United States
West Allis
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure, your way would probably be fine. It might get confusing in a 6-player game, trying to remember what each person picked and who's going next. I personally don't like taking turns out of sitting order. I just can't keep track. But I think it would work okay for people who already know the something about the strategy of the game. A new person would probably have no idea who to decide where in the turn order they want to go.

I see your point about going last. It's usually where I would choose to play, but given poor die rolls, you could easily get stuck down there and have to drop treasure to make it back.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P. oeppel
Germany
Duisburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So in what order would the five players with zero points pick turn order...devil
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Lott
United States
Little Elm
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pinoeppel wrote:
So in what order would the five players with zero points pick turn order...devil


Read my post again, it clearly covers this.

Ties go to the person who went last in the previous turn. So player 5 gets first choice, then 4th, etc...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Lott
United States
Little Elm
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
snowden27 wrote:
Sure, your way would probably be fine. It might get confusing in a 6-player game, trying to remember what each person picked and who's going next. I personally don't like taking turns out of sitting order. I just can't keep track. But I think it would work okay for people who already know the something about the strategy of the game. A new person would probably have no idea who to decide where in the turn order they want to go.

I see your point about going last. It's usually where I would choose to play, but given poor die rolls, you could easily get stuck down there and have to drop treasure to make it back.


I hear you. It would be super easy to create cards with numbers one through six on them. When you choose turn order, take a card.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.