GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 124.88

7,445 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
46.9% of Goal | left

Support:

Ken Shin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't own the original and have never played the game. But I watched a few videos and now I want to play this game.

My decision to get the game has been complicated by the fact that a deluxe edition is available. I've read about the pros and cons, and in my opinion, the only real con for the deluxe edition is the plastic coins.

Are there alternative options besides poker chips? Can I buy paper money without getting the original power grid or even monopoly? Do they sell higher quality paper money?

Just curious. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Riley
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Buy Monopoly money on its own.
Places like artscow have money cards specifically designed for Power Grid.

But really, use the plastic coins. They're fine for your first few plays until you decide what works best for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S P
United States
Zionsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I just broke down and purchased some mini poker chips because I couldn't find what seemed like another suitable substitute for paper money/junk chips. I know that's not what you want, but after going through this exercise, it seemed like the best option (and I too was hoping to avoid it).

What I was really hoping to find was a big deck of plastic playing cards with denominations for money but I never came across anything like that.

If nothing else, I certainly would try playing it with the chips first to see how much they bother you. I bought the poker chips mainly to replace paper money because I find paper money in games to be so cumbersome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Håkan König
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dvader123 wrote:
I don't own the original and have never played the game. But I watched a few videos and now I want to play this game.

My decision to get the game has been complicated by the fact that a deluxe edition is available. I've read about the pros and cons, and in my opinion, the only real con for the deluxe edition is the plastic coins.

Are there alternative options besides poker chips? Can I buy paper money without getting the original power grid or even monopoly? Do they sell higher quality paper money?

Just curious. Thanks.
Poker Chips is IMHO a great option. They stack easily and it's easy to count out the required number fast. They may take a little while to get used to, but I think it's worth it.

That said, if you don't want poker chips, then I'd keep a lookout on kickstarter as different kinds of metal coins pop up every now and then. I bought a couple of sets from Artana a while ago. They are quite good, but they don't stack, and that makes it a little bit harder to count out change fast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S P
United States
Zionsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
At the Dice Tower booth at Gen Con, they were "selling" a large deck of money cards for $25 (these are intended to be fundraiser items and not value-priced things so the cost is high for what it actually is if you don't have any interest in supporting the Dice Tower). I nearly bought it but I thought the cards may get too nasty for games you have to hold them and sleeving them didn't seem ideal. That's why I think plastic money cards would be great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert M
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We have Blue, Yellow, Orange, and Green poker chips to match the money from PG. When have new players we put out the money to help identify the values
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Riley
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I got poker chips, I specifically got ones pre-labeled in denominations of 1/5/10/50, which matches both Power Grid and Empire Builder Rail Games. I don't like having to remember/correlate values to colors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
I have this edition. Great game.

The plastic money ships are slippery, but if you get containers or bowls for each denomination, it helps. I would highly suggest getting poker chips, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Tharp
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
Hobby game designer, please print and play my games!
mbmbmbmbmb
Unlike most I prefer paper money to anything else, so I bought the paper money from original PG off eBay for less than $5 shipped.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim O'Neill (Established 1949)
Scotland
Motherwell
I aten't dead yet...
flag msg tools
VENI, VIDI, VISA - my good wife conquering a Shopping Mall.
badge
Like a good red wine, I improve with age... and being laid.
mbmbmbmbmb
This may sound a bit OTT, but I have the paper money... and sleeved it!

Jim

Est. 1949

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The plastic coins aren't THAT bad, but we use poker chips, and they're way superior.

For alternative to poker chips, you might try card money. I know the recent Dice Tower Kickstarter had money cards as an add-on, maybe they'll be purchasable on their website eventually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Price
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
I went with uncirculated Ukranian Kopeks off ebay - [url]http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=4&cam...?
[/url]
I bought 1, 5, 10, and 50's to replace the plastic tokens. PM the seller if you buy a bunch and ask them to give you bulk shipping. Normally, it is $5 shipping per roll and each identical roll is only $2. If you get one of each of the 4 denomination the default is $20 for shipping. I asked them to honor the $2 on the 4 other rolls and they did. Saved $9.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
oneilljgf wrote:
This may sound a bit OTT, but I have the paper money... and sleeved it!

Jim

Est. 1949

Jim, that's just earned you a nomination for the "Understatement of the Year" award! cool

I still use my original money from the set that is now twelve years old. Admittedly when comparing that money to a set of unused money from my Funkenschlag: EnBW set the stack is a lot higher and the colour a tad different - still very usable though whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.