Subject: To keep my 1E stuff or not rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Rogalski
United States
Charlton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I have 1E and both box expansion. Its great that I can use most of it with 2E and since I never played any 1E scenarios it is double great to get some use out of the 1E stuff.

I do not ever anticipate playing 1E so I have a bunch of extra stuff lying around and after seeing the quality of the minis in 2E (don't get me wrong they are serviceable but have a lot of flash and the bases are tight for the tokens); it seems to me that the 1E minis are a little better. Certainly the new tokens slid into the 1E bases easily and I don't recall any molding flash.

Also, while it is a cool idea to play in the keeper vs. many mode I honestly can't foresee that really happening with me.

So there is the dilemma, sell my 1E stuff and buy the fall expansions or just keep my 1E stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rindfleisch
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The main question is if you plan on playing 1st edition at all (with the keeper role) or not. If you do, then it is worth keeping and skip the next couple expansions for 2nd edition. But since it seems like you have no interest in that aspect, then it is purely up to you if you want to sell off the full game in order to buy the expansions with just figures and tiles. Maybe sell it to someone who WILL play the 1st edition as it is instead of hanging on to the parts that will never get played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Harrow
msg tools
mbmbmb
Well, the prices of the expansions vs how much you can make by selling 1E is also a component...

It may not be worth it to sell and re-buy if you're not going to make that much money back.

Also, are there other differences in 2E, with the character cards and things? I always liked Joe Diamond from 1E. Does his new character card come with 2E or with the later expansion that will have his reprinted miniature in it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve R Bullock
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Judging from the conversion kit that comes with 2e, Joe Diamond does come with the next MoM from FFG.

To answer the OP question:
I would sell all your 1e stuff if you can get more money than what the 2e expansions will cost.

I had a perfect copy of 1e MoM that I NEVER played and sold it on ebay for almost 120 bucks. That helped me buy the 2nd edition (which I do play).

Since you make it clear you do not plan to play with what you currently own, you may as well sell it now while the re-sale prices are decent, and buy the new stuff when it comes out- as long as you make a few bucks.

Just my two cents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd sell it.

That said, I would never use the Keeper functionality -- I'm actively repelled by that approach to play, in large part due to the intimate size of my gaming group on most nights. If you find value in that, keep it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Letourneau
Canada
St-Lambert
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am getting rid of it myself, as like you, I do not ever plan to play this edition again. I figure that the price difference between me selling the 1st ed. stuff and buying the xpacs will not be enough to bother with all the hassle of posting, shipping etc... I will sell my POD xpacs though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rogalski
United States
Charlton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
There is definitely a hassle factor of posting, shipping, and then basing the figures in the future expansion packs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve R Bullock
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The re-basing is a piece of cake, depending on what your plans are.

I re-based all my monsters on round black bases in one day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Id put in a bid to buy Call of the Wild and Forbidden Alchemy if anyone ships to UK

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L VonMeister
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd keep it dude. Unless you really need the cash.
If you don't currently need the dough, pack the set in a box and forget about it for a couple years.
I've kept mine for the sole reason of likely wanting to play it as the Keeper in the future. I think it's a unique piece of work and worthy of ownership.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matti
Finland
flag msg tools
mb
VonMeister wrote:

This. The price of the Figure & Tile collection packs for 2nd edition is so high that I see no reason not to keep the 1st edition unless you get a really good price for it or are running out of storage space.

I'm pretty sure the minis are exactly same in the figure & tile collections (at least the investigators are since they have the black bases and 2nd edition investigators have fixed base) as the originals are. They're probably selling old ware in a new box or just using the same molds.

I'm keeping mine but I'm missing the Forbidden Alchemy and unfortunately have to buy the whole Suppressed Memories to get the stuff (and owning double of the CotW stuff).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
masaiko wrote:
VonMeister wrote:

This. The price of the Figure & Tile collection packs for 2nd edition is so high that I see no reason not to keep the 1st edition unless you get a really good price for it or are running out of storage space.

I'm pretty sure the minis are exactly same in the figure & tile collections (at least the investigators are since they have the black bases and 2nd edition investigators have fixed base) as the originals are. They're probably selling old ware in a new box or just using the same molds.

I'm keeping mine but I'm missing the Forbidden Alchemy and unfortunately have to buy the whole Suppressed Memories to get the stuff (and owning double of the CotW stuff).

Well if you want to sell CotW to raise cadh towards surpressed memories drop me a PM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.