Guilds of London» Forums » Rules

Subject: card abilities that let you hire rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played through this game last night. Not sure what to make of it yet as there is definitely a learning curve!

One thing I would have liked is to have a bit more examples and clarification for some of these abilities. One question I had after the playthough is all these cards that have the ability to hire more liverymen.

There are some that say hire 2 (sometimes 4) liverymen OR 1 (or 2) neutral liverymen. If I used a card that lets me hire either 4 of mine or 2 neutral liverymen, I think the cost of the card is $1. Does this mean I simply pay the cost, and then bring 4 liverymen from the supply to the guildhall without discarding the normal one card for each person I hire?

Or would I still have to pay the normal 1 card for each liveryman that I bring to the guildhall? Seems like a pretty powerful ability for such a cheap card!

Another card is the one that says something like every time on your turn when you hire one person you must hire two instead. Again, Would I just use the ability of the card, then turn in another card to hire 2 liverymen, or am I still turning in two cards to hire two liverymen as dictated by the card?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Boydell
United Kingdom
Newent. Glos
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The special ability of the card for hiring replaces the usual 1 card per liveryman 'basic' action so you don't need to pay more than that £1.

The hire=hire 2 works for card effects (like above) and the basic 'discard any card to hire' action

Ok?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Johnson
United Kingdom
Penzance
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's important to remember that the cards can be used in several ways, and each way is independent of each other. What I mean is, you can discard any card to hire a livery man OR you can use a special power on a card to hire one or more livery men. Using the special power is a completely different action to discarding a card. It may have a cost or it may be free. So if you use a card with the special power that lets you hire two livery men by paying another card, then that is all you need to do to hire those livery men.
This means that if you can use the cards' special powers cleverly and strategically in combos you can do more than you could with the basic actions of discarding or using the coloured suits.
This game gets better and better the more you play it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think i understand now. So for example card 39 means "if you control 2 scythe cards, hire 4 liverymen or 2 neutral liverymen". If i played this card (e.g., have control of two scythe cards) i just add 4 liverymen to the guildhall (or collect two neutrals) and i dont need to discard the usual one card to hire these four guys, correct?

And on card 24 it says to move the beadle poece to an unresolved cross tile, and hire one of your own, or a neutral liveryman, and again i do not have to pay the usual one card to do so, correct?

Theres another card which i want to clarify... #41 says every time you hire a liveryman on this turn, at the end of your turn draw an action card. Is that 1 card PER hired man, or is it 1 card regardless of how many men you hired?

With regards to the combos, i guess playing card 77 could be followed by something like card 32 and that would immediately give you 3 pts then right?

(Card 77 says if you have hired 4 liverymen gain 3 pts, and card 32 says hire 4 liverymen OR 2 neutrals)

Honestly im not sure what to make of this game yet as i have only done a solo playthrough. It seems there is a bit of a learning curve as you need to become familiar with the symbols so you can understand the abilities. Im a somewhat experienced gamer so the symbols are pretty straightforward for the most part. I have a feeling that as you become more familiar with this game then it will really open up as you start to see all of these combos you can do. In this way it reminds me of Seasons, and i REALLY love that game. I think GoL will be a game i come to enjoy quite a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Pelton
United Kingdom
Hucknall
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got quick query,

when you have a card in play like #41 draw one card per liveryman recruited and then you play say card #38 that you pay x cards and recruit x+2 liverymen, paying 3 cards to get 5 recruits you would draw 7 cards at the end of your turn? (5 from card #41 + 2 from the end of turn)

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Hensel
United States
Bryan
Texas
flag msg tools
Have games, Will travel
mbmbmbmbmb
peltazoid wrote:
I've got quick query,

when you have a card in play like #41 draw one card per liveryman recruited and then you play say card #38 that you pay x cards and recruit x+2 liverymen, paying 3 cards to get 5 recruits you would draw 7 cards at the end of your turn? (5 from card #41 + 2 from the end of turn)

Thanks

That certainly sounds like the correct interpretation to me.

As Craig said above (in different words), the special ability on each card is more powerful than the basic pay any one card to hire a liveryman or pay such and such color colour card to move a liveryman to that colored coloured tile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Hensel
United States
Bryan
Texas
flag msg tools
Have games, Will travel
mbmbmbmbmb
shooshoo wrote:
I think i understand now. So for example card 39 means "if you control 2 scythe cards, hire 4 liverymen or 2 neutral liverymen". If i played this card (e.g., have control of two scythe cards) i just add 4 liverymen to the guildhall (or collect two neutrals) and i dont need to discard the usual one card to hire these four guys, correct?

Correct!

shooshoo wrote:
And on card 24 it says to move the beadle poece to an unresolved cross tile, and hire one of your own, or a neutral liveryman, and again i do not have to pay the usual one card to do so, correct?

Also, correct!

shooshoo wrote:
Theres another card which i want to clarify... #41 says every time you hire a liveryman on this turn, at the end of your turn draw an action card. Is that 1 card PER hired man, or is it 1 card regardless of how many men you hired?

It's one per liveryman (every time). If you hire four liverymen, you draw four cards plus the two you would normally draw.

shooshoo wrote:
With regards to the combos, i guess playing card 77 could be followed by something like card 32 and that would immediately give you 3 pts then right?

You betcha! (Yes)

shooshoo wrote:
(Card 77 says if you have hired 4 liverymen gain 3 pts, and card 32 says hire 4 liverymen OR 2 neutrals)

Honestly im not sure what to make of this game yet as i have only done a solo playthrough. It seems there is a bit of a learning curve as you need to become familiar with the symbols so you can understand the abilities. Im a somewhat experienced gamer so the symbols are pretty straightforward for the most part. I have a feeling that as you become more familiar with this game then it will really open up as you start to see all of these combos you can do. In this way it reminds me of Seasons, and i REALLY love that game. I think GoL will be a game i come to enjoy quite a bit.

Happy gaming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.