7,652 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
48.2% of Goal | left

Support:

Drew
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
Thanks for the rent-free space in your head. Would have been nice if you'd cleaned it up a bit before you rented it out, though.
badge
I control your mind.
mbmbmbmbmb
Why aren't you offended? You're supposed to be offended! Here, let me demonstrate WITH MY FISTS!

White House Indian education official accused of assaulting Native American over Redskins

Quote:
The official in charge of a White House initiative on American Indian education allegedly pummeled a Native American student who was visiting Washington, D.C., for displaying his support for the Washington Redskins.

The incident allegedly occurred when Barrett Dahl, an autistic college student from Oklahoma, showed up at a powwow in Washington wearing a Redskins football jersey, which he told Oklahoma's News 9 he viewed as source of cultural pride. Within seconds of sitting down, Dahl said, he was approached by William Mendoza, the executive director of the White House Initiative on American Indian and Alaska Native Education.

"He comes to me and calls me the name weetard not retard, weetard. 'You're a weetard for not understanding Redskins is offensive,'" said Dahl, who is a member of both the Choctaw and Sac and Fox Nations. He said Mendoza continued, "Where are you from? You're so stupid and uneducated. You don't understand Redskins is offensive? And I tell him I'm from Oklahoma as I'm very proud to be and that's when he spits on me."

An attorney for Mendoza, Mark Zaid, said Mendoza was traveling and unavailable for comment. However, he said that according to notes Mendoza had provided, Mendoza had approached Dahl to ask about the shirt. He said Dahl replied, "I don't have to [expletive] explain [expletive] to you. If you want to step outside and take this outside, I'd be happy to explain it to you."

The two also had a difference of opinion on what words displayed on the back of the shirt said. Dahl said the text said "Injun player," while Mendoza allegedly began the encounter by claiming it said "Injun pimp."

The two disagree on who started the subsequent physical altercation. Afterward, Dahl had to undergo multiple surgeries for injuries to his hand. Dahl said he hopes to recoup the thousands in medical expenses by suing Mendoza, while Zaid said that Mendoza is interested in suing Dahl for defamation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I'm going to punch the next person who calls me white. I'm an Irish-American you insensitive assholes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Binkowski
United States
Rochester
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
"I don't have to [expletive] explain [expletive] to you. If you want to step outside and take this outside, I'd be happy to explain it to you."

I think this is an often glazed over point in today's clash of ideals: many people feel entitled to an explanation if someone disagrees with them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
The two disagree on who started the subsequent physical altercation.
Well I for one am glad that RSP has been able to divine the truth of the matter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
sfox wrote:
I think I'm going to punch the next person who calls me white. I'm an Irish-American you insensitive assholes.

Normally I'm white, but today I'm self identifying as black-Hispanic.

Ferret

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a Jew. We're white when that's a bad thing but not when it's a good thing-- kind of like lighter skinned Latinos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Seguin
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
The two disagree on who started the subsequent physical altercation.
Well I for one am glad that RSP has been able to divine the truth of the matter.

Although you bring up a salient point (that being that NOTHING true can ever be divined in the confines of RSP), I ask a follow up question - does it really matter?

There was a fight, that much is true. It was centered around one guy wearing clothing that was offensive to another - I think that is true as well.

What we may never know the truth about was whether Mendozza really got in Dahl's personal space to ridicule him for not being offended like he was.

If someone wears a Steelers jersey in my presence, I too would be offended - but I won't punch him in the face over it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Seguin
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
I'm a Jew. We're white when that's a bad thing but not when it's a good thing-- kind of like lighter skinned Latinos.

Quintessential "Identity Politics" defined in one simple posting.

Kind of like how George Zimmerman was a "white guy" until it was noted that he wasn't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
msg tools
Man, us Okies can't go nowhere without having someone trying to fuck with us.

chrisnd wrote:
If someone wears a Steelers jersey in my presence, I too would be offended - but I won't punch him in the face over it.

I'm a lifelong Raiders fan -- you betcher ass I'd punch a Steeler fan wearing a jersey from those damn cheaters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chrisnd wrote:
But, if you were so inclined and said "Why are you wearing that shirt? Don't you know it makes you like like an imbecile?", would the Steelers fan punch you in the face over it? Such are the unknowns in this altercation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
Shaman
mbmbmb
I'm kind of too lazy to look, are there stories on this from real news sources?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
Thanks for the rent-free space in your head. Would have been nice if you'd cleaned it up a bit before you rented it out, though.
badge
I control your mind.
mbmbmbmbmb
chrisnd wrote:
whac3 wrote:

Quintessential "Identity Politics" defined in one simple posting.

Kind of like how George Zimmerman was a "white guy" until it was noted that he wasn't.

More specifically, he was Hispanic until he shot a black guy, and then he became a heretofore unknown race called "white Hispanic."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Seguin
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
chrisnd wrote:
But, if you were so inclined and said "Why are you wearing that shirt? Don't you know it makes you like like an imbecile?", would the Steelers fan punch you in the face over it? Such are the unknowns in this altercation.

I said something similar to my daughter's boyfriend. He didn't punch me, but he said something about "Superbowls" and "how many" and "Browns" and some other unintelligible thing...so I dropped the issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Rowls
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sfox wrote:

Only in America - your American of Irish Ancestory - not all of this 1/8 oichichu, 1\8 werefolf bullshit you americans love.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bartosh

Sunnyvale
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
More specifically, he was Hispanic until he shot a black guy, and then he became a heretofore unknown race called "white Hispanic."

Uh. I've had to fill out a lot of forms over my life where I had to select "White, Non-Hispanic".

I mean, I've always thought it was a weird distinction, but it certainly isn't new or anything.

Anyhow, in lieu of greater details, it is totally possible one or both of them were utter twats.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chrisnd wrote:
I said something similar to my daughter's boyfriend. He didn't punch me, but he said something about "Superbowls" and "how many" and "Browns" and some other unintelligible thing...so I dropped the issue.
Hopefully dating a Steelers fan is the height of her "annoying my parents' stage of rebellion. It could be worse I suppose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Seguin
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
chrisnd wrote:
Hopefully dating a Steelers fan is the height of her "annoying my parents' stage of rebellion. It could be worse I suppose.

There are other reasons why I don't fully approve of her choice in boyfriends...the least of which is him being a Steelers fan. I have more disdain for him being a Buckeyes fan over the Steelers thing.

We have friends who have a son that is one year older than our daughter (he is now a freshman in college, and my daughter is a senior in high school). We would actually like her to go to that college where he is next year, which will be different than where her boyfriend goes, so that she will "break up" with her current boyfriend, and then possibly date our friend's son while she is there at the same college as him. Well, it's a good school, too, with a program she is interested in pursuing, so that is not the only reason we would be satisfied if she chose that college. But if a boyfriend switch occurs, I won't fight it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Sandy Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your daughter will break up with him once she hits college. Don't worry about that. She will probably find an even bigger d-bag but there is nothing you can do about that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Seguin
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
galad2003 wrote:
Your daughter will break up with him once she hits college. Don't worry about that. She will probably find an even bigger d-bag but there is nothing you can do about that.

One of the reasons we (my wife and I) don't like him is because he has "broken up" with her on three different occasions, and then come back a few weeks later realizing how much he hates being alone. My daughter is such a sweetheart, and really does like him, and therefore accepts his miscreant behavior. She already knows we disapprove of them still being together, and she may eventually break it off before the end of the first semester. Which would be nice.

Our friend's son, on the other hand, is one of the nicest and most respectful gentlemen I have ever met. I wish more kids were like him, especially college boys. "Misogyny" would no longer be part of the English language if more young men were like him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Sandy Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chrisnd wrote:
galad2003 wrote:

One of the reasons we (my wife and I) don't like him is because he has "broken up" with her on three different occasions, and then come back a few weeks later realizing how much he hates being alone. My daughter is such a sweetheart, and really does like him, and therefore accepts his miscreant behavior. She already knows we disapprove of them still being together, and she may eventually break it off before the end of the first semester. Which would be nice.

Our friend's son, on the other hand, is one of the nicest and most respectful gentlemen I have ever met. I wish more kids were like him, especially college boys. "Misogyny" would no longer be part of the English language if more young men were like him.

Because you like this other kid is why I doubt she will ever date him. But don't worry, long distance relationships won't last and she will ditch hthe other guy in college.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
From the title, I thought it was going to be something about Hillary taunting Donald.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
I control your mind.
mbmbmbmbmb
Chad_Ellis wrote:
From the title, I thought it was going to be something about Hillary taunting Donald.

Well, it is the Democrat philosophy in a nutshell, so you were close.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.