Subject: The best movie you've NEVER seen! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Johnsson
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought it was time for another movie thread.
So here we try to predict the best movie we haven't seen (yet).

For me I probably have to go with
The Godfather

...I can't really believe that I haven't seen it actually, and I even like movies about organized crime!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never seen The Godfather either. I'd like to see it some day. I hear it's pretty good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Citizen Kane.

As for The Godfather, it was overhyped for me, especially since I had already seen Goodfellas. It's like playing Super Mario Bros 3 first, then playing the first one. Yeah, the first one has its merits (in The Godfather's case, the baptism montage and the final shot), but it had long since been perfected.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TonyKR
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
The next good great Coen brothers movie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TonyKR
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
erak wrote:
Citizen Kane.

As for The Godfather, it was overhyped for me, especially since I had already seen Goodfellas. It's like playing Super Mario Bros 3 first, then playing the first one. Yeah, the first one has its merits (in The Godfather's case, the baptism montage and the final shot), but it had long since been perfected.

Honestly, that's very similar to the feeling I had when I finally saw Citizen Kane years ago. As I was watching it, in the back of my mind I was kind of going "yeah, I've seen that before." Then I stopped and realized that I was watching the genesis of all that stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Berg
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
You can count on me!
mbmbmbmbmb
erak wrote:
Citizen Kane.

I actually haven't seen Goodfellas, despite how much I love the Godfather and the sequel! Shame they never made a third one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
CasualSax wrote:
erak wrote:
Citizen Kane.

I actually haven't seen Goodfellas, despite how much I love the Godfather and the sequel! Shame they never made a third one.

Goodfellas is the Godfather on about 12 cans of Red Bull.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Dunno if it's great (because I haven't seen it), but somehow I've never seen Close Encounters of the Third Kind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Sound of Music (my wife loves it, I have no desire)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Johnsson
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Orangemoose wrote:
The Sound of Music (my wife loves it, I have no desire)

Sound of Music is actually very good, but it was ages ago I saw it.
Caveat: I do love musicals though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
I try to see as many highly-acclaimed movies as possible (even if I'm not sure I will like them). I have a pretty decent DVD/blu-ray collection (north of 3,500 titles, but south of 4,000) and many of them are classics. I'd say my biggest shortfall is "great movies produced outside of the United States and Great Britain." I mean, I've seen plenty of excellent movies like Elevator to the Gallows, The Tin Drum, Das Boot, Fitzcarraldo, El Topo, and La Strada. But I'm way behind in watching movies by some great directors like Ingmar Bergman and Luis Bunuel. So, maybe The Seventh Seal is the greatest movie I have never seen?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geeky McGeekface
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
For the first time in 108 years, the Cubs are world champions! Incredible game 7 victory over a valiant Cleveland team.
mbmbmbmbmb
From among the movies I would have been likely to see (there's a whole bunch of movies that are considered excellent that I have no interest in checking out), I think the best one I've never seen is Taxi Driver. Maybe Vertigo, although I'm not much of a fan of Hitchcock's.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
Larry Levy wrote:
From among the movies I would have been likely to see (there's a whole bunch of movies that are considered excellent that I have no interest in checking out), I think the best one I've never seen is Taxi Driver. Maybe Vertigo, although I'm not much of a fan of Hitchcock's.

Taxi Driver is excellent. It's definitely in my top 20 most-watched movies.

I am a big Hitchcock fan. Surprisingly, Vertigo is not one of my favorites. It's a great film, but there's something about it that just doesn't grab me. I'd rather watch North by Northwest, Notorious, Rear Window, Frenzy, Strangers on a Train, Psycho . . . maybe one or two others. Vertigo probably comes in around 8th or 9th among my favorite Hitchcock movies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
10/₆
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
"Sometimes, the dark side overcomes what Lincoln called the better angels of our nature"
mb
I've seen all the best movies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Based upon my poor understanding of history, science, and ethics...
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
Dark Knight is the first movie on the IMDb top rated list that I haven't seen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Casiglio
United States
Ansonia
CT
flag msg tools
Falcon 2016: October 28, 29 and 30 in Stamford, CT
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I should probably admit to this before Gola or Sinister Dexter out me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen Citizen Kane, Casablanca, and the Godfather. It looks like Gone With the Wind is the best movie I have never seen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cagey McCageface
United States
Clawson
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Young Frankenstein blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TonyKR
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Going by the 2 AFI lists (the A does limit things a bit), it'd either be Lawrence of Arabia or Raging Bull.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow and I thought I didn't get out much! I have seen every movie mentioned above bar two. Yes, you *should* go and see them.

And I probably should catch up on those two, but I must admit I have never really had the inclination to watch Raging Bull.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
This demonstration is not authorized and is in clear violation of Mall of America policy.
badge
Those who continue to demonstrate will be subject to arrest.
mbmb
wifwendell wrote:
Dunno if it's great (because I haven't seen it), but somehow I've never seen Close Encounters of the Third Kind.

I was disappointed. I think it must have been more interesting at the time, given the context of aliens in movies up to that point. So I give it credit for trying to imagine aliens being something other than whatever would most effectively put them in a familiar role, so the rest of the movie could follow a familiar formula. But I wouldn't really recommend it.

For me, it's Gone with the Wind. Started it once, but the main character seemed about as irritating as Ariel at the beginning of The Little Mermaid. Maybe, as in that movie, it was a way of setting up some personal growth, but I wasn't real keen on spending three hours finding out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Johnsson
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
I've seen all the best movies.

They say confidence is the key.. or so I've heard.

Csigs wrote:
I should probably admit to this before Gola or Sinister Dexter out me.

This is also one that baffles me that I haven't seen. I very much enjoy Peter Sellers.

Nor have I ever seen Raging Bull.

I guess it really is time to plan some movie nights.

Also, as an aside, if anyone hasn't watched Pan's Labyrinth that should be one of the greatest movies you've never seen (in my humble opinion of course ).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. Everyone should go see all these films. Especially Dr Strangelove.

I have not seen (and really really want to see) Mad Max: Fury Road
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ozludo wrote:
Wow. Everyone should go see all these films. Especially Dr Strangelove.

I have not seen (and really really want to see) Mad Max: Fury Road

Don't say that too loud, you may have your Aussie citizenship revoked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 8 27 Feb - 1 Mar 2015 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk Essex Games 27 Jul '15
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Using the IMDB top 250 list, the first I haven't seen is The Good The Bad and the Ugly at number 8. But I do own a copy, so will have watched it in due course. The highest I have not watched and do not own is Once Upon s Time in the West at number 28.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.